UnderGround Forums Masvidal offers 2 names for 1st title defense

7/7/20 12:52 PM
1/1/01

BMF Jorge Masvidal appeared recently on The Ariel Helwani Show and was asked about potential opponents if he beats welterweight champion Kamaru Usman at UFC 251 on Saturday night.

“There’s two guys that are on my radar heavy and Nate [Diaz] is definitely one of them," replied Masvidal. "Cause no matter what, it was a good fight, Nate or the world didn’t get the results that we wanted. I know Nate obviously wants to run it back, I’m telling you, speaking from the heart, I want to run it back. When I get this title, would nothing be better than to give him the opportunity he gave me to fight for his BMF belt. Come on, come fight for this belt now.” Masvidal said.

“Another dude that we’re going to definitely be scrapping at some point is [Stephen] Thompson. Not cause of nothing personal, I’ve got nothing but love and respect for this individual, but I would just love to run it back. I think that I can definitely do better than that night when he first met. I think that I match up well, man, so that’s definitely something that will be happening. Promises made, promises kept.”

h/t Adam Martin for BJPenn.com

If "Gamebred" wins, who do you want to see Masvidal fight first?

7/7/20 1:15 PM
5/22/17

Colby wrecks him 

7/7/20 1:19 PM
10/3/16
SandBlaster -

Colby wrecks him 

Colby is his Tito.

7/7/20 1:19 PM
6/23/10

I think if he wins, he will fight either Burns or Edward's.  But that makes actual sense,  so yeah it'll probably be Diaz, who's 2 & 4 in his last 6

7/7/20 1:37 PM
1/24/16

Win or lose he'll fight Colby that's the money fight. Personally I think it should be Nate, that stoppage was BS

7/7/20 1:53 PM
5/5/09

Two guys he already beat? Hmmm. 

Connor or Colby. I want to see Conner wreck him like he did Cowboy.  

Edited: 7/7/20 2:01 PM
10/20/16
dinkledorf -

Win or lose he'll fight Colby that's the money fight. Personally I think it should be Nate, that stoppage was BS

Nah he lost to Thompson

edit: quoted the wrong person, my bad 

7/7/20 2:03 PM
1/3/20
DKielbasa -

He didn't beat Wonderboy, either on the official or 'hood score cards. Unanimous decision with one judge scoring their fight 30-26. It wasn't controversial.

7/7/20 2:04 PM
5/9/06
DKielbasa -

Retired

7/7/20 3:01 PM
8/18/13

It’s immaterial as he has precisely zero for Usman

7/7/20 3:23 PM
8/10/05
Dreville79 - 

Saying he has "zero for Usman", is like saying "I know nothing about MMA".

7/7/20 3:34 PM
9/13/18

Conner, burns, colby, and edwards... not in that order.. any one of those guys would be a good match up.

Edward's is only on the list cause he is currently on a win streak and that two piece and a soda must be on his mind, could make for a good fight. 

I'd like to see him and nate run it back, but nate doesnt really deserve a title shot.. but maybe if they made it for the BMF title it would be alright. Nate would need a big win over a top five guy to get in there. Him and Burns have been talking shit, a win there would get him there. 

Colby would be great with all the history they have, but I'd like to see Colby fight Usman again before he gets another crack at the belt..

With all that being said, masvidal has to get through Usman first, and that's going to be a tough fight for him.. hopefully masvidal ends him violently ????

7/7/20 3:40 PM
9/12/10
Quaze -
DKielbasa -

He didn't beat Wonderboy, either on the official or 'hood score cards. Unanimous decision with one judge scoring their fight 30-26. It wasn't controversial.

Wonderboy out him on the feet

7/7/20 3:59 PM
6/18/09

McGregor is the fight to  make. It would break all records.

7/7/20 4:30 PM
8/18/13
Ministry of Truth -
Dreville79 - 

No it isn’t, thinking Masvidal is gonna do anything but get absolutely blanketed for 5 rounds straight is knowing nothing about MMA. It’s a journeyman fighting one of the most complete Welterweights we’ve ever seen. Madvidal should be at least 6/1 in this fight, it’s the most lopsided men’s title fight since Khabib fought Iaquinta 

7/7/20 5:14 PM
5/7/09

I don’t get the want to run it back with Nate.  I wanted to see Nate win that but it just seemed like he had nothing for him.  Every time Jorge landed seemed like it was hurting Nate.

Edited: 7/9/20 9:14 AM
8/26/11

Wonderboy would toast that fool

7/7/20 6:43 PM
1/26/08

His only options should be Diaz, Conor and Colby and his focus should be Conor or Diaz as both of them are winnable, I'd save Colby for last.

7/7/20 7:11 PM
12/10/09

How in the world is Nate a legit title contender? Luckily I don’t think we have to worry about his terrible ideas for #1 challengers because he’s going to be on his back the entire fight. 

7/7/20 7:12 PM
8/20/13

If he pulls off the upset against Usman, I would have no problem with him getting a couple of gimme title defenses against these kind of opponents. The same way they did with Bisping when he won the title and then defended it against someone unranked. Anyone who puts that much time in and then finally makes it deserves to prolong it a little. 

7/7/20 7:13 PM
12/10/09
Dreville79 -
Ministry of Truth -
Dreville79 - 

No it isn’t, thinking Masvidal is gonna do anything but get absolutely blanketed for 5 rounds straight is knowing nothing about MMA. It’s a journeyman fighting one of the most complete Welterweights we’ve ever seen. Madvidal should be at least 6/1 in this fight, it’s the most lopsided men’s title fight since Khabib fought Iaquinta 

I’m allowing for the “it’s mma” gods to make me look foolish, but I completely agree. This is a blowout in the making. Mas is a level above Nate but still about 2 levels below Usman. 

7/7/20 7:43 PM
10/19/14

Yeah keep overlooking Usman, the guy that is gonna wreck you, dummy. Nate has done zero to earn a title shot and Colby would embarrass him.

7/7/20 8:06 PM
1/9/20

Conor isn't a welterweight people! ...and he's retired. If anyone comes out of retirement to beat Mas it should be GSP.

7/7/20 8:56 PM
5/9/06
scrapdo -

How in the world is Nate a legit title contender? Luckily I don’t think we have to worry about his terrible ideas for #1 challengers because he’s going to be on his back the entire fight. 

Same with Conor (retired). Neither of them have legit title contention credentials at WW, unless we’re going back to giving championship fights based off ppv sales and money. If so then Conor and GSP are the top choices. But both are retired. 

why are we not talking about Burns? I’m assuming he’s going to recover, correct? He actually has a t5 win at WW. 

Edited: 7/7/20 9:04 PM
11/9/10
LBH_RN -

I think if he wins, he will fight either Burns or Edward's.  But that makes actual sense,  so yeah it'll probably be Diaz, who's 2 & 4 in his last 6

Lack of winning streak or rankings have never stopped Diaz fanboys from calling for title shots.