UnderGround Forums Matt Lindland-how good was he?

26 days ago
9/27/15
Reading an older fight sport magazine, Lindland was ranked pretty high st 185 but UFC wouldn't sign him..Lindland was dying to fight Franklin or Anderson for the belt..

Hmm how good was Lindland in Mma? He got starched by Belfort and got submitted twice by Bustamante but Murilo is beastly..I don't remember any of Matts high profile wins?who did he beat?

How good was Lindlands wrestling? Was he able to properly transfer it to Mma?
Edited: 26 days ago
8/6/06

Matt was legit top 5 middleweight for quite a few years.

26 days ago
7/10/15

hes kinda like Yoel...in the wrong era

26 days ago
4/10/03

He beat the Michael Jordan off BJJ. The UFC has it in for him. Really cool dude. His wrestling is pretty damn good. He beat Fabio I can’t remember his last name. Fabio was a world BJJ champ. He fought him in Gracie Fight Challenge. 

Edited: 26 days ago
2/29/16

I always thought Franklin was better.

26 days ago
7/21/09

He was The Law..

In fact if Fedor didn’t hold the ropes History might have be written differently...

26 days ago
10/3/16

People said he was the biggest threat to Anderson when he was champ, LOL

26 days ago
6/27/05

Dana wanted him to lose to Baroni.  Watch the fight where Phil is pounding his ribs as the clock runs out....Dana was hoping for a tapout.

He was screwed because he was “boring”.

26 days ago
1/1/01

Woogie

26 days ago
9/12/05
I was there when Dave Terrell starched him, which was pretty incredible watch live.
26 days ago
9/27/15
factseatfeelings - I was there when Dave Terrell starched him, which was pretty incredible watch live.

I forgot about that fight..how did it go though? A quick sprawl and knockout I assume?Lindland did have a pretty weak takedown despite his wrestling ability...his shot or takedown were about as fast as Askrens
26 days ago
8/6/06
ons ear -
factseatfeelings - I was there when Dave Terrell starched him, which was pretty incredible watch live.

I forgot about that fight..how did it go though? A quick sprawl and knockout I assume?Lindland did have a pretty weak takedown despite his wrestling ability...his shot or takedown were about as fast as Askrens

He was a lot like Askren.

26 days ago
6/13/03

He was odourific 

26 days ago
8/20/03

Lindland has serious skills and would have been a real threat.

That said, he was his own worst enemy when it came to his career.

There is a reason some fighters need managers, and Lindland should have had one to guide him through his interactions with the brass.

26 days ago
11/20/09

You have to understand the context of mma at the time.  Pride was still competing with UFC(or vice versa), and there were great fighters not fighting in both organization at times.  Josh Thomson, Eddie Alvarez, Jacare, Lindland....

Someone mentioned his loss to Dave Terrell, but what about what happened immediately after that fight?

Well, Matt Lindland's next ten fights he went 9-1, with his LONE LOSS being to LHW Quinton Rampage Jackson who literally would be viewed as the #1LHW in the world when Rampage became UFC LHW Champion just 10 months after fighting Lindland.  What fight finder won't tell you, is how RAZOR CLOSE that fight with Rampage was.(I'll link it in the following post)

We're talking 185lb Matt Lindland going UP, to challenge one of if not THE BEST LHW at that time, Quinton Rampage Jackson.  The fight was back and forth and really showed Lindland(as well as Rampage's) grit.

In those ten fights immediately after his loss to David Terrel, Matt Lindland FINISHED 8/10 opponents and also was the 2nd person(only 3 to have) tko'd Mother Fucking Jeremy Horn, the 1st being LHW Champion in his prime, Chuck Liddell.  Not bad for a fucking Middle weight.  On top of that accomplishement, the only person to have ever submitted the grappling master Carlos Newton, was the great Kazushi Sakuraba and then of course, Matt Fucking Lindland.

The dude is one of the most underrated fighters of all time.  He had a lot of bushido and there was not a challenge he was afraid of, except for maybe roll on deodorant but that's it.

26 days ago
11/20/09

Well, the fight is available on fight pass if you have it or if you have a vk account, you can find a good quality version of it there.

This is the best I could find, looks like 2004 cell phone

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4427x

26 days ago
1/1/01
God Of Thunder - 
ABCTT_HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe -
ons ear -

That’s why I don’t see Askren ever coming close to the 170lb belt 

Nobody besides CRE believes Askren could get the belt
26 days ago
11/20/09
Gomrad - 

He was The Law..

In fact if Fedor didn’t hold the ropes History might have be written differently...

Actually someone pointed out that prior to that, Matt Lindland was actually guilty of grabbing ropes.  Fedor was just following Lindland's lead.

26 days ago
9/12/05
ABCTT_HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - 
ons ear -

It kinda just looked like a street fight. Terrell just walked right up to him and slugged him, then followed up with some brief g&p. Whole fight was less than a minute...
26 days ago
10/8/07

Was there ever any truth to Dana not giving a title fight to Matt when Rich had the belt because Dana didn't want a boring champion? I know Dana and Matt never got along and it always seemed strange that Matt would get passed over for title fights in favor of guys like Nate Quarry and Loiseau.

26 days ago
11/5/16

Fedor has to grab the ropes to defeat Lindland if that tells you anything! Matt was a stud.

26 days ago
1/1/01
he was very good for his era, never the best though.
26 days ago
4/20/08
PeterNorth -

Fedor has to grab the ropes to defeat Lindland if that tells you anything! Matt was a stud.

He palmed the ropes

26 days ago
1/1/01
D241 - 

You have to understand the context of mma at the time.  Pride was still competing with UFC(or vice versa), and there were great fighters not fighting in both organization at times.  Josh Thomson, Eddie Alvarez, Jacare, Lindland....

Someone mentioned his loss to Dave Terrell, but what about what happened immediately after that fight?

Well, Matt Lindland's next ten fights he went 9-1, with his LONE LOSS being to LHW Quinton Rampage Jackson who literally would be viewed as the #1LHW in the world when Rampage became UFC LHW Champion just 10 months after fighting Lindland.  What fight finder won't tell you, is how RAZOR CLOSE that fight with Rampage was.(I'll link it in the following post)

We're talking 185lb Matt Lindland going UP, to challenge one of if not THE BEST LHW at that time, Quinton Rampage Jackson.  The fight was back and forth and really showed Lindland(as well as Rampage's) grit.

In those ten fights immediately after his loss to David Terrel, Matt Lindland FINISHED 8/10 opponents and also was the 2nd person(only 3 to have) tko'd Mother Fucking Jeremy Horn, the 1st being LHW Champion in his prime, Chuck Liddell.  Not bad for a fucking Middle weight.  On top of that accomplishement, the only person to have ever submitted the grappling master Carlos Newton, was the great Kazushi Sakuraba and then of course, Matt Fucking Lindland.

The dude is one of the most underrated fighters of all time.  He had a lot of bushido and there was not a challenge he was afraid of, except for maybe roll on deodorant but that's it.

Phenominal post, Woogie was a beast. Freakishly strong, world class greco roman wrestler, great fight IQ, and he was as dirty as he was nasty. He is also hillarious. I was a team mate, training partner, and corner to Baroni for some time and there feud on here was epic. Matt did dish out some funny shit though. Not a guy people looked fwd to fighting
26 days ago
1/22/19
Reebot -

hes kinda like Yoel...in the wrong era

Yoel is a wrestler that only strikes.  Lindland was a wrestler that only wrestled.