UnderGround Forums McGregor: I don't want to wait for Nurmagomedov

1/20/20 10:51 AM
1/1/01

At the UFC 246 post-fight press conference, UFC Dana White said Conor McGregor's next fight would be a rematch vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov. However, the lightweight champ defends vs. Tony Ferguson at UFC 249 on April 18, in Brooklyn, New York. McGregor said that he isn't interested in waiting until the fight after that.

"I don't think the who matters," said McGregor, as transcribed by Jed Meshew for MMA Fighting. "Okay, the lightweight title will be there. That will be there. You see the difference in the physique, the preparation and that. That will come back around, that shot. I'm certainly not gonna - if [Nurmagomedov vs. Ferguson] does go ahead - sit out and wait and then wait through holidays and injuries and all this type of thing that goes with it. The who doesn't matter for me now. I'm looking at dates now and I know March was there. I'm gonna have a look at the calendar and see where we're at."

"Lorenzo [Ferttita] gets back from Panama on Wednesday so we'll toast some fine Irish whiskey - I always look to do that tradition and talk with Dana. So he gets back on Tuesday so I'll stay here and I'll go for dinner and a toast with Lorenzo and Dana and I'm sure we'll chat about it then and see what's what. I'll be ready. I'll have a celebration tonight. I'll chill with my kids tomorrow. I'll show Junior the fight on the telly, see how he reacts to it, see what he thinks of it, and then back to training."

Another possibility is staying in shape and stepping in for either Nurmagomedov or Ferguson should one of them be unable to fight, which if history is a guide, could well happen.

"It's got very personal with [Nurmagomedov] and his team," said McGregor. "Look, it is what it is. I make no promises. I am who I am and it is what it is. I'll certainly be focused on the skillsets. We have a particular skillset, myself and that man. He holds onto the legs and I come for it. I'll be excited to get that one back. So we'll see what happens. We'll see what happens in the Tony fight. Tony's another interesting foe for me. We'll see what happens. If something happens, I'll be here."

Conor could also fight Jorge Masvidal or Justin Gaethje, or rematch Nate Diaz, or rematch Floyd Mayweather Jr in boxing. But it appears McGregor's #1 goal is a title shot vs. Nurmagomedov at the end of year, in Russia. White is on record as not wanting to a PPV in Russia, but McGregor is unswayed.

"How much money is enough money for f***'s sake? There's a lot of money in Russia," said McGregor. "There's a lot of revenue in Russia. ...  What a place! It would be like something out of a Rocky movie, so I'd be very eager to do that. Dana the hometown Vegas boy, I know the Vegas people will be campaigning for it. Let's see what happens. I would love that. I want to create spectacles for the people. That's one hell of a spectacle."

1/20/20 1:13 PM
1/17/03

Why is Lorenzo involved?

1/20/20 1:35 PM
9/2/10

Good. Hope it's all stand up guys for Conor while he's still in his prime.

We know he's not the best LW in the world, let's see if anybody can stand with him. I think he clips Gamebred and Tony on the feet.

1/20/20 1:36 PM
12/1/19

McGregor uses the word "eager" in every interview... He needs to broaden his vocabulary...

1/20/20 1:47 PM
7/7/10
Erik Apple -

Why is Lorenzo involved?

He's always been involved, Connor is an investment 

1/20/20 2:00 PM
12/7/10

"We have a particular skillset, myself and that man."

Yeah, it's called the quick tap.

1/20/20 2:13 PM
1/1/01
Erik Apple -

Why is Lorenzo involved?

I don't think Lorenzo is involved.  I think Conor only wants to see him (and Dana) socially and possibly discuss Conor's next move.  

1/20/20 3:20 PM
2/7/08
Stea1th -
Erik Apple -

Why is Lorenzo involved?

He's always been involved, Connor is an investment 

Maybe like an advisor role (al haymon) 

1/20/20 3:41 PM
6/4/06
Erik Apple - 

Why is Lorenzo involved?

First thing I thought while reading it. Does Lorenzo have anything to do with UFCs, is he part of Conor's management , or does Connor just like to bounce ideas off of him?
1/20/20 7:25 PM
9/26/10
DaddyO4 -
Erik Apple - 

Why is Lorenzo involved?

First thing I thought while reading it. Does Lorenzo have anything to do with UFCs, is he part of Conor's management , or does Connor just like to bounce ideas off of him?

the last one. i think he is just a person that conor trusts. 

1/20/20 7:45 PM
7/30/03

Conor talking shit about the style that made him quit.

1/20/20 8:46 PM
1/3/20

Conor vs Dustin P at 170 is the fight to make. Jorge fights GSP. Usman fights Edwards (assuming he wins) Justin vs Ferguson/khabib winner. 

1/20/20 11:22 PM
11/3/06
Calhoon -

Conor talking shit about the style that made him quit.

Indeed. All you dopes hoping to see him in favorable matchups should go seek out a sport called "kickboxing"  cuz this sport isn't for you. 

khabib didn't get the directive to stand and wang right into Conor's strengths. The BEST make adjustments to their game- they shore up the weak spots. Which we all know what Conor's is. 

I like to see him fight, but let's not pretend that another Khabib fight would go any different than the first one. 

1/20/20 11:22 PM
1/1/14

During the post fight press conference, Conor said that his routine after any big fight is to sit down with Dana and Lorenzo and share a toast over dinner.

1/20/20 11:28 PM
3/18/14

Conor has always liked Lorenzo and talked about him

1/21/20 1:25 AM
5/19/17
AdkinsIsHere -

Conor vs Dustin P at 170 is the fight to make. Jorge fights GSP. Usman fights Edwards (assuming he wins) Justin vs Ferguson/khabib winner. 

Why would GSP fight Masvidal

1/21/20 1:29 AM
3/6/07
stainlesssteel -

"We have a particular skillset, myself and that man."

Yeah, it's called the quick tap.

Really?

4th round submission to the goat and and now he's called "quick tap". 

you're a loser and a hater. 

1/21/20 7:28 AM
11/24/13
AdkinsIsHere -

this is the worst matchmaking I've ever seen given the current landscape.

1/21/20 9:33 AM
12/26/19

Smart move ducking a Khabib rematch IMO, he would only get smoked again.

1/21/20 10:04 AM
3/13/18

Yup 3 x 170 fights in 2020, lines up nicely with Khabib's remaining 2 fights left.  Khabib will be retired by the time his lordship is ready...

1/21/20 12:51 PM
8/20/03
Erik Apple -

Why is Lorenzo involved?

Lorenzo is a playah!

...Frank though...you don't mess with Frank!

1/21/20 12:54 PM
3/20/12
Kirik - 

At the UFC 246 post-fight press conference, UFC Dana White said Conor McGregor's next fight would be a rematch vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov. However, the lightweight champ defends vs. Tony Ferguson at UFC 249 on April 18, in Brooklyn, New York. McGregor said that he isn't interested in waiting until the fight after that.

"I don't think the who matters," said McGregor, as transcribed by Jed Meshew for MMA Fighting. "Okay, the lightweight title will be there. That will be there. You see the difference in the physique, the preparation and that. That will come back around, that shot. I'm certainly not gonna - if [Nurmagomedov vs. Ferguson] does go ahead - sit out and wait and then wait through holidays and injuries and all this type of thing that goes with it. The who doesn't matter for me now. I'm looking at dates now and I know March was there. I'm gonna have a look at the calendar and see where we're at."

"Lorenzo [Ferttita] gets back from Panama on Wednesday so we'll toast some fine Irish whiskey - I always look to do that tradition and talk with Dana. So he gets back on Tuesday so I'll stay here and I'll go for dinner and a toast with Lorenzo and Dana and I'm sure we'll chat about it then and see what's what. I'll be ready. I'll have a celebration tonight. I'll chill with my kids tomorrow. I'll show Junior the fight on the telly, see how he reacts to it, see what he thinks of it, and then back to training."

Another possibility is staying in shape and stepping in for either Nurmagomedov or Ferguson should one of them be unable to fight, which if history is a guide, could well happen.

"It's got very personal with [Nurmagomedov] and his team," said McGregor. "Look, it is what it is. I make no promises. I am who I am and it is what it is. I'll certainly be focused on the skillsets. We have a particular skillset, myself and that man. He holds onto the legs and I come for it. I'll be excited to get that one back. So we'll see what happens. We'll see what happens in the Tony fight. Tony's another interesting foe for me. We'll see what happens. If something happens, I'll be here."

Conor could also fight Jorge Masvidal or Justin Gaethje, or rematch Nate Diaz, or rematch Floyd Mayweather Jr in boxing. But it appears McGregor's #1 goal is a title shot vs. Nurmagomedov at the end of year, in Russia. White is on record as not wanting to a PPV in Russia, but McGregor is unswayed.

"How much money is enough money for f***'s sake? There's a lot of money in Russia," said McGregor. "There's a lot of revenue in Russia. ...  What a place! It would be like something out of a Rocky movie, so I'd be very eager to do that. Dana the hometown Vegas boy, I know the Vegas people will be campaigning for it. Let's see what happens. I would love that. I want to create spectacles for the people. That's one hell of a spectacle."

I doubt Dana or lorenzo will drink his shitty whiskey.

They probably fill one of his bottles with expensive whiskey and pretend they enjoy his.

1/21/20 5:54 PM
9/19/13

Conor needs to fucking relax on the whiskey.

1/21/20 6:00 PM
1/18/12

Holy shit.

If i knew how to play any instruments and my voice didnt sound like the god damn DOC ........id do a cover of " i dont want to wait in vain for your love",  with the title of this thread and a lucky charms af irish accent.

1/24/20 4:11 AM
2/7/08
https://twitter.com/hashtag/ufc?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw