UnderGround Forums Meltzer: PPV estimates UFC 226 lil under 400k

8 days ago
11/23/11

8 days ago
9/5/11

Wow!

Looks like it’s official. If your name isn’t Brock, Ronda or Conor the PPV is going to underachieve. 

8 days ago
4/27/08
Malvert the Janitor - 

Wow!

Looks like it’s official. If your name isn’t Brock, Ronda or Conor the PPV is going to underachieve. 

Compared to the past few, this is probably the best they could expect. Neither Stipe nor Cormier are massive draws, and losing the co-main probably hurt a bit too.

8 days ago
9/5/11
United Yorkie Rescue -
Malvert the Janitor - 

Wow!

Compared to the past few, this is probably the best they could expect. Neither Stipe nor Cormier are massive draws, and losing the co-main probably hurt a bit too.

Losing Max Holloway vs Brian Ortega in no way cost them any significant number of pay per views. 

No.

Maybe 10,000 - absolute TOPS. 

Big PPVs only come when casuals purchase cards. Casuals aren’t swayed by the loss of Max Holloway, no way. 

Again, Brock, Ronda and Conor or expect the numbers to be underwhelming. 

8 days ago
6/17/16

PPV is dead, price is too high

8 days ago
7/8/09

Meltzer is a mark

8 days ago
10/8/07
Malvert the Janitor -
United Yorkie Rescue -
Malvert the Janitor - 

Wow!

Losing Max Holloway vs Brian Ortega in no way cost them any significant number of pay per views. 

No.

Big PPVs only come when casuals purchase cards. Casuals aren’t swayed by the loss of Max Holloway, no way. 

Agreed. Max and Brian aren't huge stars that would've made the numbers higher. Exciting fighters? Of course. Personalities that draw casual fans? No. There are only a handful of fighters that would draw big numbers and all of them are retired/inactive/suspended.

8 days ago
9/22/11
Target_the_Gash -

And hd streams are everywhere. For the first 10yrs of the zuffa era it was a given that you bought the ppv and supported the sport,maybe bought a fighters walk out shirt. Then they started gouging the hard-core fan base and calling them not true fans if they didn't like a fight or a card. Fuck that.I was paying for this shit and sending emails to ppv providers when no one knew what it was. Ripping fighters and this ridiculous Reebok deal....labron makes more in a yr in sponsors than the whole UFC roster will make in 7 yrs lol

8 days ago
1/23/06
They still make good money. Less saturation isn't possible at this point, more events produces greater gate and TV revenue, plus increased exposure for their sponsors.

UFC has multiple sponsorship streams that are for undisclosed amounts, Modelo, AirAsia, 7-11, Monster Energy, BodyArmor etc.
Edited: 8 days ago
1/23/06

my guess is that any lost money from declining PPV sales has been replaced by other means such as Fight Pass.

8 days ago
3/3/18
ouch

The bubble has burst, there's no denying it.
8 days ago
9/27/15
Malvert the Janitor - 
United Yorkie Rescue -
Malvert the Janitor - 

Wow!

No.

Agree...casuals do not give a shit about Ortega or Holloway or Ferguson or Frankie Edgar or Aldo or even Khabib..they want Conor, Brock or Ronda..it still baffles me how Brock is still a huge draw..

Will guys like Costa and Izzy become big draws in the future? Do fighters need to be white in order to draw big? Did prime Anderson Silva bring in good numbers? Can the UFC build Robert Whitaker up to be a star? It doesn't seem so
8 days ago
9/27/15
BringBackGoldy - 
Target_the_Gash -

And hd streams are everywhere. For the first 10yrs of the zuffa era it was a given that you bought the ppv and supported the sport,maybe bought a fighters walk out shirt. Then they started gouging the hard-core fan base and calling them not true fans if they didn't like a fight or a card. Fuck that.I was paying for this shit and sending emails to ppv providers when no one knew what it was. Ripping fighters and this ridiculous Reebok deal....labron makes more in a yr in sponsors than the whole UFC roster will make in 7 yrs lol

Do you mean HD streams that you can watch as the event is taking place? Last I checked which has been quite a few months ago, it was getting unreliable to find even standard definition streams..if you are talking about 1080p torrents after the event is over then yeah you are correct

If there are hd streams out there, how many casuals know about them or can access them? Probably not that many
8 days ago
1/1/01
Thought 300-400 was pretty good? The 1 million is a rare feat?
8 days ago
7/7/12
kungfugrip - Thought 300-400 was pretty good? The 1 million is a rare feat?

300-400 is what the UFC ten years ago would pull in for a weak to moderate PPV card. Not a Champ vs. Champ superfight.

8 days ago
11/21/05

If I randomly asked 100 US citizens if they knew who Stipe or Cormier were, how many do you think would know at least one of their names?  I think you'd be lucky to get one person in a random sampling.

8 days ago
11/21/05

Forget about Holloway and Ortega.  Hell...I couldn't pick Ortega out of line up and I'm a friggin mod on a MMA site and I've been here for 13 years.  I mean...that's messed up.  Their promotion of fighters is dog shit these days.

8 days ago
4/20/08
dhughes -

If I randomly asked 100 US citizens if they knew who Stipe or Cormier were, how many do you think would know at least one of their names?  I think you'd be lucky to get one person in a random sampling.

I worked in fucking Cleveland for months last year, out of tons of people I asked, only two knew who he was. 

8 days ago
4/20/08

I think at the end of the day, if you arent a shit talking maniac, the buys arent going to be there. People saw Cormier get ko'd a year ago, yet he's still the champ, his last fight was against Volkan who know nobody knows. Stipe isnt a draw period because he does not interview or talk well. Factor in how many dog shit cards they have had this year, plus the co main event title fight falling out, there you go. 

8 days ago
9/22/11
ons ear -
BringBackGoldy - 
Target_the_Gash -

Do you mean HD streams that you can watch as the event is taking place? Last I checked which has been quite a few months ago, it was getting unreliable to find even standard definition streams..if you are talking about 1080p torrents after the event is over then yeah you are correct

If there are hd streams out there, how many casuals know about them or can access them? Probably not that many

Maybe true hd is a little harder to find but l am seeing stuff live that is equal or better than UFCtv sd streams .

I don't know how Reddit gets away with it.

8 days ago
10/25/09
Malvert the Janitor -

Wow!

Not true.

But the UFC president is so bad at promoting his fighters these days even hardcores like yourself forget that their highest drawing fighter ever is still on their roster.

But Dana has such a hard-on for him these days he can hardly spit out his name never mind try to promote him.

8 days ago
1/8/15
ons ear -
BringBackGoldy - 
Target_the_Gash -

Not that many people use them, thank goodness, or there’d be more effort to shut them dlwn, but the stream I allegedly used was HD, and no buffering, just about a minute and a half behind in time. One draw back is I have to watch it on my chrome book. I could use my smart TV, but I haven’t quite mastered using that like a computer. 

8 days ago
1/8/15

Oh, and here’s an article about the 226 rates

UFC 226 Pay-Per-View Numbers Are In... - MMAmania.comhttps://apple.news/ADTY5Z0NTQFuBLsk6c7AbRw

8 days ago
1/1/01
about what I expected
8 days ago
5/14/18

Meltzer is habitually prematurely incorrect along with being professionally stupid looking.