UnderGround Forums More impressive performance: Lopez or Ortega?

11 days ago
6/9/16

For guys who watched both main events last night, which fighter impressed you more, Teofimo Lopez or Brian Ortega?

Both were amazing. T-City put on the more dominant performance but Lopez beat a higher-level opponent. 

11 days ago
6/9/16

And to pre-empt anyone who might make the argument that Loma had been on the shelf for a long time, Ortega hadn't fought in almost two years and he was razor sharp. 

11 days ago
10/6/02
Both
11 days ago
1/1/01

Ortega by far.

Lopez's opponent made it super easy for him.

11 days ago
7/8/16

Lopez.

Loma is far better at his craft then TKZ. Not taking anything away from TKZ skill but Loma was arguably #1 p4p. I have Canelo has #1 but it’s always debatable when your talking about the best of the best 

11 days ago
2/17/03
Yaaaaaa Buddddddy - 

Lopez.

Loma is far better at his craft then TKZ. Not taking anything away from TKZ skill but Loma was arguably #1 p4p. I have Canelo has #1 but it’s always debatable when your talking about the best of the best 

I agree.

I think Loma has been on the decline for a couple of fights. But, any time you beat the P4P king, you have delivered the best performance of the night.

11 days ago
2/10/20

Lopez

11 days ago
7/29/13

Ortega. Loma gave the fight away by not fighting for half of it. When loma started fighting it looked fairly even. Ortega dominated the fight against zombie basically start to finish. 

11 days ago
9/2/10

Lopez just beat a top 3 p4p guy at 23 years old.

11 days ago
9/11/09

Lopez's win was more impressive.  Some will say Loma wasn't at his best in the early rounds, but others will say Lopez took away the outside angle making Loma's slow start even slower.  When Loma started pouring it on later on, Lopez managed to stay focused and was countering well with his uppercut.  This fight wasn't a blowout tho, Lopez lost the last few rounds but held it together for the win.  A lot of poise coming from a 23 year old to stay composed under that firepower Loma was throwing at the end.

Ortega looked amazing for a guy who hasn't fought in 2 years.  I'm not sure why people were heavily favoring TKZ, Ortega lost his last fight, but it was against Holloway..  I thought TKZ would have a slight edge just cause Ortega was away for so long, but it was still a toss up for me.  Instead we saw TKZ unable to pull the trigger all night.  Yes, Ortega was giving him all kinds of looks, jabbing, threatening with takedowns, etc. so it's not like he was making it easy.  But there were a few times where Zombie had Ortega against the fence didn't throw anything. He was gun shy the whole fight, I have a couple theories as to why. 

That elbow that landed in the second might have reminded him of his ko from Yair making him tentative the rest of the fight.  And let's not forget all the build up that happened for this fight, ie. the slapping incident.  TKZ has gone on record saying that this fight wasn't personal, but I guarantee that it was.  In asian culture, that slap was hugely disrespectful.  All of Korea was wanting TKZ to get revenge for the Kpop kid and behind closed doors he probably promised that he would win for his people. So you can imagine that Ortega was in his head for a really long time. 

Any time you see a fighter look for that perfect shot, you know he's in his head too much.  

11 days ago
1/1/01

Purely on the records and standing of the opponent Lopez, the fight just meant more, period. 

But based on the fighting alone Ortega was way more dominant. As everyone who watched it knows Loma was barely throwing the first half of the fight and just giving up rounds. It could be said he was overly cautious due to Lopez's power and surprised by his boxing ability and speed. But he's obviously experienced enough to know you need to score to win rounds. 

11 days ago
2/17/03
rumble_fish - 

Lopez's win was more impressive.  Some will say Loma wasn't at his best in the early rounds, but others will say Lopez took away the outside angle making Loma's slow start even slower.  When Loma started pouring it on later on, Lopez managed to stay focused and was countering well with his uppercut.  This fight wasn't a blowout tho, Lopez lost the last few rounds but held it together for the win.  A lot of poise coming from a 23 year old to stay composed under that firepower Loma was throwing at the end.

Ortega looked amazing for a guy who hasn't fought in 2 years.  I'm not sure why people were heavily favoring TKZ, Ortega lost his last fight, but it was against Holloway..  I thought TKZ would have a slight edge just cause Ortega was away for so long, but it was still a toss up for me.  Instead we saw TKZ unable to pull the trigger all night.  Yes, Ortega was giving him all kinds of looks, jabbing, threatening with takedowns, etc. so it's not like he was making it easy.  But there were a few times where Zombie had Ortega against the fence didn't throw anything. He was gun shy the whole fight, I have a couple theories as to why. 

That elbow that landed in the second might have reminded him of his ko from Yair making him tentative the rest of the fight.  And let's not forget all the build up that happened for this fight, ie. the slapping incident.  TKZ has gone on record saying that this fight wasn't personal, but I guarantee that it was.  In asian culture, that slap was hugely disrespectful.  All of Korea was wanting TKZ to get revenge for the Kpop kid and behind closed doors he probably promised that he would win for his people. So you can imagine that Ortega was in his head for a really long time. 

Any time you see a fighter look for that perfect shot, you know he's in his head too much.  

TKZ said that he has no memory of the fight after the elbow. I think the elbow did him in. Reminds me of Stipe's shot at the end of round 2 of the last DC fight.

11 days ago
9/11/09
wiggum -
rumble_fish - 

TKZ said that he has no memory of the fight after the elbow. I think the elbow did him in. Reminds me of Stipe's shot at the end of round 2 of the last DC fight.

The elbow didn't even land perfectly, prob would've been a KO if it did.  Very smart of Ortega to put that into his arsenal for this fight.  

Edited: 11 days ago
4/22/07

Lopez by a mile. 

I dont mean this in any way to be disrespectful to TKZ, but a double gold medal winning 3 division champ is a much more impressive victory.

Edited: 11 days ago
8/20/15
rumble_fish -

Lopez most assuredly won the 12th round, so he didn't really lose the last few rounds...maybe 10 and 11

10 days ago
9/8/11

Lopez for sure. Beating Loma is a huge feat. Not to mention the oddsmakers would agree. Lopez was the bigger dog. 

10 days ago
8/31/10
boxy -

Ortega by far.

Lopez's opponent made it super easy for him.

Wow! I'm embarrassed for you. Hurry up and edit this nonsense before somebody quotes it!