UnderGround Forums My Academy in Chicago, IL

6/18/19 11:58 AM
1/1/01

I tried to post on a thread that Wes Sims created with my name in it which had all sorts of lies and insults about me and my academy but I see that it has been deleted. Below is what I tried to post on his thread.

Wes Sims requested that I be his facebook "friend" a few years ago. I've never met or trained with him or trained with anyone that he has, as far as I know but I accepted his request. I guess we're not, in fact, friends, since he didn't message me to tell me how much he dislikes me or disaproves of my alleged behavior, or come insult me to my face.

I'm not losing sleep over that. I'm told he had my academy name and address in the initial post at the top of his thread but he later edited them out. I wish he hadn't edited that out so here they are. My academy is called Foundation Chicago. We're located at 2238 w. roscoe in Chicago, IL in the roscoe village neighborhood (about 4.5 miles away from my former instructor's gym which I helped him get started and on whose team I was for 17 years, throughout 5 different locations that I can recall immediately. I left that team after spending most of my adolescence and all of my adult life on it because I didn't agree with the direction the instructor was going, and I felt betrayed that he wasn't supporting my new affiliated academy concept and that he was talking about me behind my back after I'd already opened).

I'm very proud of our little team. I wanted to provide a type of small-group learning experience that I'd only seen high-level pros be a part of with unparalled coaching attention and support. We have a cap on class sizes to snsure low student-teacher ratios, students get regular written progress reports from me and customized film study from me.

Foundation Chicago students get competition scheduling/matchmaking services included in their membership as well as cornering services if they choose to go into fighting.  A portion of every membership goes to support our highschool outreach program where we offer twice weekly BJJ classes to students at the Eric Solorio Academy on the Southwest side of the city at no cost to the students, school, or families. We also regularly have outside experts come in and share their knowlege with the team.

In the past year alone we've had Mike Brown and Din Thomas give seminars, and Aljamain Sterling, Al Iaquinta, and Merab Dvalishvili came in the other week to train and I learned a great deal from those three warriors as well. 

I've never "stolen" students, whatever that means, and I run a decidedly non-political academy because I came out of a cultish environment, I came to realize, all of my BJJ life. Some Foundation Chicago members only train with us, of course, and "rep" us at competitions.

We have and have always had members who also train at other gyms. Some of them love their primary gyms and teams, but have known me for years and like the mission of our gym so want to come in every so often and support it. Others love their primary team but live nearer to us or our schedule allows them to get in another day or two of training that they otherwise would not have been able to.

Yet others are active competitors and represent their other gym but come in during training camps to get a little extra or a different coaching/sparring partner look. I welcome them all. All Foundation Chicago asks of people is to pay their membership fees, show up, and be good, safe training partners for whoever is on the mats. You can represent any team you like if you follow those rules.

We just celebrated our second-year anniversary and I'm really proud of what we're doing. It's different in many ways from other spots, and it works for some. Our website is www.FoundationChicago.com We're on IG at @FoundationChicago. We have a Youtube channel with some technique and some competition footage.  I'm told by those who have visited and by our team members that we've created a healthy, positive, effective training space. I hope so. That is certainly the goal.

So, if you're interested in checking us out, check out the website for scheduling info and come on down. We'd love to have you.

As always and in just about every area of life, I hope to see and meet folks with good intentions under good circumstances. Those who come with bad intentions wanting to create unpleasant circumstances, well, I guess that's why we train, isn't it?

In any case, I'm easy to find. Come see me. 

6/18/19 12:19 PM
10/17/13
TTT.
6/18/19 2:18 PM
6/14/12
Elias Cepeda -

I tried to post on a thread that Wes Sims created with my name in it which had all sorts of lies and insults about me and my academy but I see that it has been deleted. Below is what I tried to post on his thread.

Wes Sims requested that I be his facebook "friend" a few years ago. I've never met or trained with him or trained with anyone that he has, as far as I know but I accepted his request. I guess we're not, in fact, friends, since he didn't message me to tell me how much he dislikes me or disaproves of my alleged behavior, or come insult me to my face.

I'm not losing sleep over that. I'm told he had my academy name and address in the initial post at the top of his thread but he later edited them out. I wish he hadn't edited that out so here they are. My academy is called Foundation Chicago. We're located at 2238 w. roscoe in Chicago, IL in the roscoe village neighborhood (about 4.5 miles away from my former instructor's gym which I helped him get started and on whose team I was for 17 years, throughout 5 different locations that I can recall immediately. I left that team after spending most of my adolescence and all of my adult life on it because I didn't agree with the direction the instructor was going, and I felt betrayed that he wasn't supporting my new affiliated academy concept and that he was talking about me behind my back after I'd already opened).

I'm very proud of our little team. I wanted to provide a type of small-group learning experience that I'd only seen high-level pros be a part of with unparalled coaching attention and support. We have a cap on class sizes to snsure low student-teacher ratios, students get regular written progress reports from me and customized film study from me.

Foundation Chicago students get competition scheduling/matchmaking services included in their membership as well as cornering services if they choose to go into fighting.  A portion of every membership goes to support our highschool outreach program where we offer twice weekly BJJ classes to students at the Eric Solorio Academy on the Southwest side of the city at no cost to the students, school, or families. We also regularly have outside experts come in and share their knowlege with the team.

In the past year alone we've had Mike Brown and Din Thomas give seminars, and Aljamain Sterling, Al Iaquinta, and Merab Dvalishvili came in the other week to train and I learned a great deal from those three warriors as well. 

I've never "stolen" students, whatever that means, and I run a decidedly non-political academy because I came out of a cultish environment, I came to realize, all of my BJJ life. Some Foundation Chicago members only train with us, of course, and "rep" us at competitions.

We have and have always had members who also train at other gyms. Some of them love their primary gyms and teams, but have known me for years and like the mission of our gym so want to come in every so often and support it. Others love their primary team but live nearer to us or our schedule allows them to get in another day or two of training that they otherwise would not have been able to.

Yet others are active competitors and represent their other gym but come in during training camps to get a little extra or a different coaching/sparring partner look. I welcome them all. All Foundation Chicago asks of people is to pay their membership fees, show up, and be good, safe training partners for whoever is on the mats. You can represent any team you like if you follow those rules.

We just celebrated our second-year anniversary and I'm really proud of what we're doing. It's different in many ways from other spots, and it works for some. Our website is www.FoundationChicago.com We're on IG at @FoundationChicago. We have a Youtube channel with some technique and some competition footage.  I'm told by those who have visited and by our team members that we've created a healthy, positive, effective training space. I hope so. That is certainly the goal.

So, if you're interested in checking us out, check out the website for scheduling info and come on down. We'd love to have you.

As always and in just about every area of life, I hope to see and meet folks with good intentions under good circumstances. Those who come with bad intentions wanting to create unpleasant circumstances, well, I guess that's why we train, isn't it?

In any case, I'm easy to find. Come see me. 

Yaaaaaawn.

Tldr.

I must be too racist. 

6/18/19 2:47 PM
5/26/18

I started my MMA journey at Valko BJJ in Chicago in 2007. I bet we know a lot of the same people. PM me?

6/18/19 2:50 PM
1/23/06
I cried when Chael retired.
6/18/19 2:55 PM
6/14/12
CRE - I cried when Chael retired.

Nazi

6/18/19 3:15 PM
3/16/15

Your article on Chael was completely uncalled for.  You don't come off as a guy that I would want to train with.

6/18/19 3:46 PM
10/15/07

Foundation team sounds pretty cool and I like how you’re working with that school on the southwest side. Excellent work on pissing everyone off. 

6/18/19 4:59 PM
5/8/13

So, plug the school, but no comment on the Chael article? Can’t admit just a little that it was poor timing and just to get clicks? Or admit ya shit on a legend? 

6/18/19 5:34 PM
10/17/13
ChicagoTom - 

Foundation team sounds pretty cool and I like how you’re working with that school on the southwest side. Excellent work on pissing everyone off. 

I know Elias and he’s a good dude. When I saw Wes’s thread today accusing Elias of stealing his former school’s students I knew it wasn’t true, he’s not that type of guy.
6/18/19 5:47 PM
6/14/12
Bret Kavanaugh -

why would anyone want to train with someone who has a “legacy” of homophobia and misogyny?

Lol. The irony. 

B etter write an article about Elias' legacy of shitty journalism and misogyny on the internet. 

Send that screen grab yahoo. Maybe they ll commission lole to author the piece.

6/18/19 6:37 PM
4/25/11

Heh ironically i just saw a vid of OP on Wanderlust Grappling's Facebook page from an event. Props for showing up, but your Jiu-Jitsu and style of journalism would lead me to look elsewhere in Chicagoland for an instructor. Article was completely off base and says alot about your character.

6/18/19 6:40 PM
6/14/12
Triple_B -

Heh ironically i just saw a vid of OP on Wanderlust Grappling's Facebook page from an event. Props for showing up, but your Jiu-Jitsu and style of journalism would lead me to look elsewhere in Chicagoland for an instructor. Article was completely off base and says alot about your character.

His grappling prowess should be indication enough. 

6/18/19 6:47 PM
1/1/01
ChicagoTom - 

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, nothing enrages racists like calling out racism. Alas. 

6/18/19 6:48 PM
6/14/12
Elias Cepeda -
ChicagoTom - 

Thanks for the kind words. Yeah, nothing enrages racists like calling out racism. Alas. 

Lol !

6/18/19 6:49 PM
1/1/01
TwentyNineTwentyEight - 
ChicagoTom - 

I know Elias and he’s a good dude. When I saw Wes’s thread today accusing Elias of stealing his former school’s students I knew it wasn’t true, he’s not that type of guy.

Kind of you to say. Wes knows nothing about me and as I told him over FB messenger this morning if he has a problem with me he's welcome to come tell me to my face. Then, he can scream his insults at me in person and beat me up or whatever his anger leads him to do. He can see how well that works out for him if he'd like. 

6/18/19 6:51 PM
1/1/01
Triple_B - 

I have not seen your pro grappling competition videos but feel free to post them. Wanderlust is a great event. I'm 1-1, there. One submission win over a great now black belt opponent and one submission loss to a great young guy who wrestled at University of Illinois. Anyone who would be offended at my calling out racism in my writing wouldn't fit in at my academy. 

6/18/19 6:52 PM
1/1/01
UltimateKeyboardWarrior - 

Your article on Chael was completely uncalled for.  You don't come off as a guy that I would want to train with.

Then, you should not train with me. 

Edited: 6/18/19 7:33 PM
1/1/01
John Crowley - 

I started my MMA journey at Valko BJJ in Chicago in 2007. I bet we know a lot of the same people. PM me?

Jay has a great team and has always been nice and helpful to me, very cool. Feel free to come on by any time.

6/18/19 6:56 PM
1/7/06

Very happy the gym is going well and the work you’re doing.  Plan on seeing you soon

6/18/19 7:20 PM
1/1/01
El_Geronimo_de_Gato - 
Bret Kavanaugh -

why would anyone want to train with someone who has a “legacy” of homophobia and misogyny?

Lol. The irony. 

B etter write an article about Elias' legacy of shitty journalism and misogyny on the internet. 

Elias, have you always been homophobic?

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cupcakes&page=6

cup cake
being really cheap and gay.
a homosexual with an inhuman tendency to lend money and then ask back ten times the amount.
A faggot, cheapskate, curmudgeon, niggard (also heavily racist), penny pincher, piker, scrooge, skinflint or tightwad (calls himself tightass) is a person who is reluctant to spend money, sometimes to the point of forgoing even basic comforts and some necessities as well as offering obscene favors especially to the members of the same sex.

I don't know what urban dictionary is but feel free to collect my supposed homophobic statements over the past 14 years since I began writing for a living, write an article of your own, and get it published by a reputable source. Trolling on a message board under an anonymous account is not going to do much for your cause. Go with God and have fun. 

Edited: 6/18/19 7:26 PM
3/16/15

Edit - my posts weren't deleted.

6/18/19 7:31 PM
1/3/11

Am I too old to start bjj? I'm gonna be 45?

6/18/19 7:33 PM
1/1/01
Dugs95 - 

So, plug the school, but no comment on the Chael article? Can’t admit just a little that it was poor timing and just to get clicks? Or admit ya shit on a legend? 

comment on the story? I've been replying to people on twitter, IG, FB, and here for a couple days. 

You believe you're owed a personalized comment? Fine, here it is - my story is my comment. And, I stand by it.

I wrote a similar piece on Sonnen's racism after he retired the first time in 2014. People didn't seem to mind quite as much, then, but by 2015 and 2016 when I would highlight someone in the sporting world's racism or mysogony, or any number of other issues, you racists have seemed to get extra mad. It's nothing new on my end. I've been writing this type of material since 2005. Racists are emboldened to come out of the shadows, now, it seems. I write about the intersections of race, class, gender, and sport just about every week and have for over a decade but now folks are getting more vocal in being upset when I do than at any other point in the past that I can recall. 

If accurately quoting Sonnen's many racist statements over the years hurts his feelings or his fans', I couldn't care less about hurting his or your all's feelings. 

Go be racist, like Sonnen, if you'd like. Live that way, say it's a show, whatever makes you feel better about it.

Or, don't. 

You're not owed anything because your feelings were hurt. Sonnen isn't owed acceptance of his classlessness, in all its various forms.

This thread is about a particular thread started by Wes Sims that lied about my academy because he, like you, was so upset that someone deigned to criticize Chael Sonnen. 

These issues are important to me and not disconnected from my academy's philosophy. If they speak to you and you want to train with us, you're more than welcome. If they do not, then it isn't a good place for you.

I won't ever apologize for criticising structural racism, individual racist rhetoric or individual racist behavior. Sonnen's career decisions, whether he's won or lost, his feelings, or any of yours don't matter to me in the least when it comes to highlighting long occluded racist speech from him. 

6/18/19 7:40 PM
5/29/18
UltimateKeyboardWarrior -
Elias Cepeda - 
El_Geronimo_de_Gato - 
Bret Kavanaugh -

Lol. The irony. 

Elias, have you always been homophobic?

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cupcakes&page=6

cup cake
being really cheap and gay.
a homosexual with an inhuman tendency to lend money and then ask back ten times the amount.
A faggot, cheapskate, curmudgeon, niggard (also heavily racist), penny pincher, piker, scrooge, skinflint or tightwad (calls himself tightass) is a person who is reluctant to spend money, sometimes to the point of forgoing even basic comforts and some necessities as well as offering obscene favors especially to the members of the same sex.

I don't know what urban dictionary is but feel free to collect my supposed homophobic statements over the past 14 years since I began writing for a living, write an article of your own, and get it published by a reputable source. Trolling on a message board under an anonymous account is not going to do much for your cause. Go with God and have fun. 

You made a homophobic comment.  At least own your homophobia.

Cup cake is homophobic and misogynistic? 

Got to be trolling this dude lol