UnderGround Forums New Khabib interview contradicts DW claim

1/20/21 1:23 PM
4/21/06

Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) President Dana White refused to strip Khabib Nurmagomedov of the lightweight title after meeting with the Dagestani champion last weekend in Abu Dhabi. That’s because White is convinced “The Eagle” will fly again if one of the contending lightweights can do “something spectacular” at UFC 257 on “Fight Island.”

Or at least that was the story he gave the mixed martial arts (MMA) media.

But according to Nurmagomedov, who was on location to corner cousin and undefeated bantamweight Umar Nurmagomedov at UFC Fight Island 8, he has no plans to make his return to combat sports, regardless of what happens with longtime rival Conor McGregor in his Jan. 23 pay-per-view (PPV) headliner against Dustin Poirier.

“I have achieved almost everything in this sport and there isn’t someone I would like to fight now,” Nurmagomedov told Sport24. “A lot of people don’t want to understand my side. I don’t see that yet. I train for myself. If we talk about all my business projects that are planned, fights are not in these plans.”

Nurmagomedov retired from MMA after submitting Justin Gaethje at UFC 254 last October. 2020 was a hard year for “The Eagle,” who not only suffered multiple injuries and fight cancellations, but also the loss of his father. That’s why the 29-0 lightweight made a promise to his mother to call it a career.

1/20/21 1:24 PM
4/21/06

“My mother is the most precious thing I have left,” Nurmagomedov continued. “You won’t push me to do things that will disappoint my mother. I don’t even have plans for UFC in the near future. I don’t even have any thoughts about preparing for a fight. I saw how Umar was preparing now and I thought, Alhamdulillah (praise be to God) I left it behind.”

When (or if) Nurmagomedov surrenders his UFC title remains to be seen.

https://www.mmamania.com/2021/1/20/22240751/new-khabib-interview-contradicts-dana-white-claim-ufc-return-left-it-behind-mma

1/20/21 1:25 PM
4/21/06

1/20/21 2:50 PM
12/10/09

Wait, Dana twisted a fighters words for business reasons? I call BS

1/20/21 3:34 PM
3/13/15

I couldn’t tell that Dana was lying during the announcement. I’m glad this is cleared up. 

1/20/21 3:40 PM
12/1/05

Dana was clearly lying. 

Should’ve announced a tournament. 

1/20/21 5:32 PM
2/2/05

Wtf khabib?!? If you have no plans to fight leave the USADa pool and give up the belt officially

1/20/21 5:47 PM
7/20/01

already foretold by mr. fudailat

1/20/21 5:57 PM
5/21/12
anunaki -

Wtf khabib?!? If you have no plans to fight leave the USADa pool and give up the belt officially

Yeah why won’t he give up the title if that’s the case?

1/21/21 1:48 AM
8/26/11

I love Khabib but c'mon dude. Shit or get off the pot!

1/21/21 2:39 AM
4/21/06

ttt

1/21/21 6:13 AM
10/18/14
Fedoral Crime -
anunaki -

Isn't that kind of the promotions job? The man retired in front of the world. He told us all he's no longer the champ at 155. Now its up to the UFC to crown someone new. They've been holding off crossing their fingers praying they could just throw money at him like a stripper and he'll do what they want. The UFC is keeping that title next to his name praying for a pay day to make up for 2020. Khabib's been gone. 

1/21/21 6:35 AM
4/11/10

Dana is great. By saying that he ensures all 155ers go balls to the wall. Lol. Dude is a genius

1/21/21 6:42 AM
1/24/16

Egg wants Khabib to come back even more than just crowning Connie champ and that really makes me wonder. 

The reason is probably that Khabib Conor 2 would make the most money but then Khabibs value to the UFC must also be insane. They have that Abu Dhabi connection and these guys probably throw money at them because of Khabib. 

1/21/21 10:21 AM
9/24/18
Watch, Dana is putting an interim belt around Conor's waist if he wins on Sunday. It will be his play to get Khabib to fight Conor.
1/21/21 11:31 AM
7/10/02
Papa_Askren - 
Fedoral Crime -
anunaki -

Isn't that kind of the promotions job? The man retired in front of the world. He told us all he's no longer the champ at 155. Now its up to the UFC to crown someone new. They've been holding off crossing their fingers praying they could just throw money at him like a stripper and he'll do what they want. The UFC is keeping that title next to his name praying for a pay day to make up for 2020. Khabib's been gone. 

Indeed. I can understand a fighter can retire and then...unretire. But if you publicly say you retire, that belt is off your waist, period.

If you come back of course you're first in line, you get a title shot. But it should be up for grabs meanwhile.

I really thought the winner of Ferg-Oliveira would fight the winner of Conor-Poirier for the belt!

1/21/21 2:42 PM
6/21/09

It's because Dana hopes Conor wins, does a crazy promo afterward and then he can throw millions in front of Khabib and make him do what he wants. But I actually think Khabib will be one of the few to not cave to him despite how much $ he dangles in front of him.

1/21/21 6:15 PM
5/21/12
Papa_Askren -
Fedoral Crime -
anunaki -

You’re actually right, it is up to the UFC and they are obviously holding out hoping he changes his mind. Dana definitely seemed like he was lying saying Khabib would come back if someone from this weekends fights “excites him”.

I do think Khabib should come out and say he wants to give up his title and he is not coming back for anyone if he has really retired. Maybe he is letting it drag out until his teammate (Mackachev?) is in a position for a title shot as that Russian commentator suggested? Who knows. I think what most of us can agree on is that Dana’s comments were horseshit.

1/21/21 8:02 PM
1/1/01
Even Connor called out Dana’s bluff in the presser. Something like “that’s what Dana said not Khabib.”
Ironic that Connor is now the one calling on a champ to defend or vacate. Didn’t seem to have any issues holding on to a title without defending until the bitter end.

1/21/21 11:47 PM
12/17/06

Of course it does lol

1/22/21 1:18 AM
1/1/01
Dana wacks it every night to another Khabib/McGregor.
1/22/21 4:54 AM
9/13/12

Dana Whtie is a beacon of courageous candor and unrelenting truth-telling. To see his honest name smeared in this forum is unacceptable. REPENT, SINNERS.

1/22/21 5:03 AM
8/15/18

Inconceivable!

1/22/21 6:36 AM
1/14/12

It must drive Dana nuts that I guy like Khabib isn’t interested in money and doesn’t see the point of fighting anymore.

Just my 2 cents but I still think if he offered the GSP fight Khabib might consider it.

1/22/21 7:56 AM
2/5/06
Papa_Askren - 
Fedoral Crime -
anunaki -

The belt yes...but not USADA

It's the fighter that removes themselves from the testing pool. Like DC did, he retired and promptly told USADA to fuck off.

Would you want random drug tests for no reason?

If Khabib removed himself from testing, the UFC would instantly take the belt

So IDK who he's trying to fool, I think he's fucking with Conor to be honest but he for sure isn't 100% serious about retirement like he's claiming