UnderGround Forums Old School UG: What made you ALMOST leave UG?

Edited: 8 days ago
1/1/01
wiggum - Can't believe anyone doesn't like Super Calo.

TUF was definitely the most seminal turning point in the history of this forum (at least in my time here). While TUF overall positively impacted the sport by allowing more fighters to make a living from it, it definitely affected the quality of the fanbase.

I would also add that there has been an increased Stormfront vibe in the past couple of years that makes me less happy to logon.

that's the biggest pile of shit i've ever had the misfortune to read on here and suspect they're the syphilitic dementia induced ravings of an octoroon

8 days ago
1/1/01
wiggum - Can't believe anyone doesn't like Super Calo.

TUF was definitely the most seminal turning point in the history of this forum (at least in my time here). While TUF overall positively impacted the sport by allowing more fighters to make a living from it, it definitely affected the quality of the fanbase.

I would also add that there has been an increased Stormfront vibe in the past couple of years that makes me less happy to logon.

This.
TUF most definitely had a huge impact on the backgrounds of the folks posting here.

We went from almost everyone being involved in the sport in some fashion, even if just training for fun.
To a bunch of mostly kids, vast amounts of whom I am sure have never even been in a fight.

Add in all the political crap the last couple years, and this place in not nearly the community it once was.
It was an awesome place with of a fairly close knit group in the very early days.
Edited: 8 days ago
1/1/01

Not that. 

his stormfront bullshit is the typical shareblue demonize your opposition playbook bullshit that led, along with the influx of the "NFL" fan to the destruction of this place

8 days ago
2/17/03
de braco - 

Not that. 

his stormfront bullshit is the typical shareblue demonize your opposition playbook bullshit that led, along with the influx of the "NFL" fan to the destruction of this place

You seem pretty defensive.

This isn't a politics forum. It's an MMA forum. I happen to notice threads getting derailed more by right wing politics than left wing politics, but I am not here for either.

I have my own political views and they matter quite a bit in my real life. But I rarely bring them onto an MMA forum. To the extent that I ever have, it has been when it's relevant to MMA (on fighters unionizing; on whether the UFC has is a monopoly; on whether Lloyd Irvin should be exiled from the MMA community; etc.)

8 days ago
1/1/10
de braco -

Not that. 

Got the balls to say what you actually mean without the euphemisms, you cowardly racist cunt?

No? Didn't think so. Go crawl back under your rock.

8 days ago
1/7/11

Good threads derailing into a huge steaming pile of garbo shit talking, or just garbo shit talking threads. I've since learned to not even click on most threads, or just give up entirely when certain comments/replies are made once I've made the mistake to begin reading.

I do miss Bravo's Ultimate Ass thread though. Sometimes Super Calo was on point. I'll also agree that TUF changed things. (I lurked here for years before finally making an account.)

Good and bad times here, I never really thought about leaving. Mostly just thought UGers were cunts. haha

*flashes the UG sign*

8 days ago
7/16/13
Looky -

Good threads derailing into a huge steaming pile of garbo shit talking, or just garbo shit talking threads. I've since learned to not even click on most threads, or just give up entirely when certain comments/replies are made once I've made the mistake to begin reading.

I do miss Bravo's Ultimate Ass thread though. Sometimes Super Calo was on point. I'll also agree that TUF changed things. (I lurked here for years before finally making an account.)

Good and bad times here, I never really thought about leaving. Mostly just thought UGers were cunts. haha

*flashes the UG sign*

This thread is a good example of what you're talking about lol

8 days ago
11/7/12

I know I don't fall in the category of old school, but I used to post in 09-11 under a different name. I stopped because fighters were no longer respected by some of the people on here and ran them off. That's what attracted me to this place, that we were having actual conversation with fighters and others like Rogan... almost felt like those guys were our actual friends, lol.

I would meet fighters in person and just mentioning this board they would give me the time of day. That was really cool. I went away for like a year and would lurk here and on the OG. One day I wanted to comment on a OG thread but I couldn't figure out my passwords for here and the email I used at the time.

Here I am again though. I can't quit this place. Especially the OG, although it has definitely changed as well.

Edited: 7 days ago
1/1/01
Loiosh -
de braco -

Not that. 

Got the balls to say what you actually mean without the euphemisms, you cowardly racist cunt?

No? Didn't think so. Go crawl back under your rock.

which euphemism would that be, einstein

7 days ago
1/1/01
Devin Ratray's gf, WOOF - 

I know I don't fall in the category of old school, but I used to post in 09-11 under a different name. I stopped because fighters were no longer respected by some of the people on here and ran them off. That's what attracted me to this place, that we were having actual conversation with fighters and others like Rogan... almost felt like those guys were our actual friends, lol.

I would meet fighters in person and just mentioning this board they would give me the time of day. That was really cool. I went away for like a year and would lurk here and on the OG. One day I wanted to comment on a OG thread but I couldn't figure out my passwords for here and the email I used at the time.

Here I am again though. I can't quit this place. Especially the OG, although it has definitely changed as well.

I think you missed the best days.
In the very early 2000s is when most, as opposed to some, fighters, promoters, and the like posted here.

What this place was then, may never be seen again anywhere. It was a very unique situation.

(Thanks Kirik for providing this place back in the day)

Still you caught the tail-end of it.

Welcome back...very belatedly.
7 days ago
2/17/03
Dryfly - 

In the very early 2000s is when most, as opposed to some, fighters, promoters, and the like posted here.

What this place was then, may never be seen again anywhere. It was a very unique situation.

Very special.

bobsappfan fought Erik Apple.

KenFlo, Gannon, Kimbo.

FUTA1.

Riccio.

When I was 14, I competed in NAGA and thought I got screwed in my match, so I posted about it. The ref was on the forum, too, and we got to argue.

7 days ago
1/1/01
Captain Canuck - 

I don't think this applies to quitting the forum but to lighten up the mood I can say this.

2005 was when TUF started. That first year it was amazing how that show jump started people showing up to MMA gyms.

We had a guy from our gym on season 2 and when it aired the place exploded with people interested in joining, checking it out, and some all around crazy people who would pop out of the woodwork.

I had just been asked to open the gym on Fridays after work as previously we were not open Fri/Sat/Sun to the general public because everyone was usually away at some event. Anyone who wanted to train those days usually had their own key and would either just show up or plan to meet to train.

With the show being on TV people just started to show up so they started having people booked to teach classes and meet new people on Sat/Sun but Coach asked me to just open on Fridays and have an open mat for whoever showed up and make sure no one got hurt.

From Asian gangs in limos flashing guns, elderly crippled pro-wrestlers wanting to teach, fat toothless guys wanting to fight Chuck Liddell, to late night sex with groupies in the ring, it was like the circus had arrived.

God bless you, you brought a god damn tear to my eye Canuck
7 days ago
11/7/12
wiggum -
Dryfly - 

Very special.

bobsappfan fought Erik Apple.

KenFlo, Gannon, Kimbo.

FUTA1.

Riccio.

When I was 14, I competed in NAGA and thought I got screwed in my match, so I posted about it. The ref was on the forum, too, and we got to argue.

Hahaha, that's awesome! 

7 days ago
9/15/07

I don’t consider myself old school, but the Lloyd Irvin situation really pissed me off about this place. The endorsement that was never retracted and overall approach to the situation.

Everything else seems to fit with the quirky lovable nature of the place, but that pissed me off totally.

7 days ago
6/16/07
"That's when I was a fan of rose. When she shaved her head because of lice or whatever it was a hell fuck naw"

"Damn that’s most likely the ugliest 16 chicks to ever be in the same picture."

these kinds of posts.
7 days ago
1/1/01
wiggum -
de braco - 

Not that. 

You seem pretty defensive.

This isn't a politics forum. It's an MMA forum. I happen to notice threads getting derailed more by right wing politics than left wing politics, but I am not here for either.

I have my own political views and they matter quite a bit in my real life. But I rarely bring them onto an MMA forum. To the extent that I ever have, it has been when it's relevant to MMA (on fighters unionizing; on whether the UFC has is a monopoly; on whether Lloyd Irvin should be exiled from the MMA community; etc.)

LOL, You're incapable of not mentioning it, your bullshit stormfront hyperbole was your parting shot. i've never seen stormfront, but i suspect it contains actual racist and religious persecution. Stamping your feet and screaming racist at someone who disagrees with you does not infact actually prove the person a nazi

7 days ago
1/1/01

And fuck grandmaster limp

7 days ago
8/20/03
HYBRID JON - 
Captain Canuck - 

I don't think this applies to quitting the forum but to lighten up the mood I can say this.

2005 was when TUF started. That first year it was amazing how that show jump started people showing up to MMA gyms.

We had a guy from our gym on season 2 and when it aired the place exploded with people interested in joining, checking it out, and some all around crazy people who would pop out of the woodwork.

I had just been asked to open the gym on Fridays after work as previously we were not open Fri/Sat/Sun to the general public because everyone was usually away at some event. Anyone who wanted to train those days usually had their own key and would either just show up or plan to meet to train.

With the show being on TV people just started to show up so they started having people booked to teach classes and meet new people on Sat/Sun but Coach asked me to just open on Fridays and have an open mat for whoever showed up and make sure no one got hurt.

From Asian gangs in limos flashing guns, elderly crippled pro-wrestlers wanting to teach, fat toothless guys wanting to fight Chuck Liddell, to late night sex with groupies in the ring, it was like the circus had arrived.

God bless you, you brought a god damn tear to my eye Canuck

7 days ago
1/1/01
Fighter bashing.

Newb "experts" thanks to Youtube and Wikipedia.

And probably my least favorite--and this kinda goes along with fighter bashing--is how a fighter can be a God one minute, lose a fight or two, and suddenly he's a "bum" who was "never any good."

Just feel like the true fans of the sport have now moved on, and only select few remain. It is those select few that I look forward to reading, but sadly, you have to wade through a lot of shit to find them.
7 days ago
1/23/06
wrongaboutVitali - Fighter bashing.

And probably my least favorite--and this kinda goes along with fighter bashing--is how a fighter can be a God one minute, lose a fight or two, and suddenly he's a "bum" who was "never any good."

Just feel like the true fans of the sport have now moved on, and only select few remain. It is those select few that I look forward to reading, but sadly, you have to wade through a lot of shit to find them.

Is every old school fan a "true fan" and is there a special spot reserved for them, where their opinion holds more weight, simply because they joined a forum earlier or started watching combat sports at an earlier date?

At what point does a "01 join date" lose relevance? It's subjective.

People who joined in 2010 have been here for a decade. Is that long enough to qualify as having an educated "true fan" view? In 10 years, when the Foob tenors have been here for as long as you 01 members, will they have reached that '01 plateau?
7 days ago
11/18/09

I’ve never thought of leaving. But I’ve said before, that I remember when MMA started showing up on regular TV. I’d seen some tapes. But then PRIDE or like early Tim Sylvia era they started showing them on Spike. I might have known of a handful of fighters but I watched every single fight I could on TV and didn’t really care who was fighting. It was just so awesome that it was on TV. And I’d watch every fight. I didn’t care who was fighting. Then by the time youtube came around, forget about it. 

Also, are you really a noob anymore if you started watching bc of TUF 1? That was 15 fucking years ago.  

7 days ago
2/17/03
CRE and PhillyFights:

I agree that the sport is now old enough that it is impossible to judge the "noob"ness of fans based on join date or when they started watching the sport. There are accomplished pro fighters who were in middle school when TUF came out. It doesn't at all detract from the authenticity of their involvement with the sport.

On the other hand, being around since the early days tends to mean there is a better chance than not that you are a committed fan who has supported the sport back when supporting it wasn't too easy. You likely were on the ground floor for a lot of things, as well.

So, a late join date isn't a sign that you're bad. But, an early join date, IMHO, increases the chances that you know what you're talking about and that you're committed to the sport.

That said, while so many things with the sport have gotten better since 2006, some things have gotten worse.
7 days ago
1/1/01
CRE - 
wrongaboutVitali - Fighter bashing.

Is every old school fan a "true fan" and is there a special spot reserved for them, where their opinion holds more weight, simply because they joined a forum earlier or started watching combat sports at an earlier date?

At what point does a "01 join date" lose relevance? It's subjective.

People who joined in 2010 have been here for a decade. Is that long enough to qualify as having an educated "true fan" view? In 10 years, when the Foob tenors have been here for as long as you 01 members, will they have reached that '01 plateau?

Never mentioned anything about join date.
7 days ago
1/1/01
Would also like to add, not to you, CRE, but to my post above, that I can't stand the immediate name-calling when one person disagrees with another's opinion. This is an open forum, after all. The majority is based on opinion and, hopefully, mature discussion.

The second someone doesn't agree with another's opinion, respect goes out the window, and it's school yard bullshit.
7 days ago
2/17/03
^^Yeah, I should have mentioned that I have no idea why CRE quoted you for that response. Your post was great, accurate, and not pertaining to join dates.