UnderGround Forums Ortega's failed drug test after debut

11 days ago
9/19/13

I didn't know this so I'm assuming some of you might not either but apparently Brian Ortega was suspended (pre-usada) for 9 months following his debut for a failed drug test. He tested for drostanolone which another fighter from the gym he was with at the time also pissed hot.

This was brought up elsewhere but it seems like this pretty much flew under the radar as his character has never been questioned after the fact.

Elsewhere, the comparison was made as to why he was never held to the same standards as other fighters who failed for actual PED use.

11 days ago
9/19/13

The justification I found most common is that he

1. admitted to it immediately

2. has never failed since

11 days ago
2/15/11
Interesting.. Good thing there's no such thing as "once a cheater, always a cheater" :)
11 days ago
9/19/13
ShootProod - Interesting.. Good thing there's no such thing as "once a cheater, always a cheater" :)

Not seeing how that applies. Are you somehow able to predict to 100% certainty that he hasn't used PEDs since then?

10 days ago
2/15/11
oranos - 
ShootProod - Interesting.. Good thing there's no such thing as "once a cheater, always a cheater" :)

Not seeing how that applies. Are you somehow able to predict to 100% certainty that he hasn't used PEDs since then?

Sarcasm homie. I don't think he's a cheater. Making fun of the UGers that jump all over people who got a second chance.

Edited: 10 days ago
9/19/13
ShootProod -
oranos - 

Sarcasm homie. I don't think he's a cheater. Making fun of the UGers that jump all over people who got a second chance.

That was some weird fucking sarcasm. You sure you aren't just trying to save face my dude?

10 days ago
11/20/09

http://forum.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.posts&thread=2692975

10 days ago
9/19/13
D241 -

http://forum.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=forum_framed.posts&thread=2692975

Well there it is.

10 days ago
5/14/13

Brian came forward, said it was a stupid thing to do, as he'd thought he wasn't going to make weight. Understandable for a 23 year old.

Point is, he's never dodged criticism for it, and has absolutely held himself responsible. I believe him. I don't believe guys who get popped over and over, while insisting they took nothing, or go with the tainted supplement excuse. Having said that, if the guy can immediately identify the substance, I'd be more inclined to believe them. Coming out and saying 'I don't know what supplements I take' is not truthful and a blatant slap in the face to fans.

10 days ago
10/9/10
The Pendulum -

Brian came forward, said it was a stupid thing to do, as he'd thought he wasn't going to make weight. Understandable for a 23 year old.

Point is, he's never dodged criticism for it, and has absolutely held himself responsible. I believe him. I don't believe guys who get popped over and over, while insisting they took nothing, or go with the tainted supplement excuse. Having said that, if the guy can immediately identify the substance, I'd be more inclined to believe them. Coming out and saying 'I don't know what supplements I take' is not truthful and a blatant slap in the face to fans.

What sucks is that the tainted supplement reason or excuse can be a completely legitimate and real explanation, but in most cases it’s blown off because that’s what everybody says. After hearing Barnett on the JRE and a few other fighters talking about it, I have a different perspective. 

However I do agree with you that if guys are getting popped multiple times and have the same excuse, it’s possible they are unaware/not benefitting but we see it as more likely to be just cheating and trying to get away with it. I understand some ingredients are listed but ultimately you have to know what to take and not take. 

10 days ago
8/6/06

The teamate was Kevin Casey. That may have something to do with why he isn't affiliated with Blackhouse anymore. Back then, Blackhouse was his team, and he trained Jiu Jitsu at the Gracie Academy in Torrence.

10 days ago
6/17/16
oranos -
ShootProod -
oranos - 

That was some weird fucking sarcasm. You sure you aren't just trying to save face my dude?

reading comprehension is a dying art form

10 days ago
3/6/07

This has been talked about already here. 

He took a fight late late notice and needed help cutting weight. 

10 days ago
8/6/06
oranos -
ShootProod -
oranos - 

Hmm, seemed instantly obvious to me that he was being sarcastic. It's phrased like sarcasm, and it's obviously wrong, making it ironic. So I think it was definitely sarcasm.

10 days ago
10/1/18
oranos -

He hasn’t failed since then meaning he isn’t on ped’s. 

10 days ago
1/23/06
All of Brian "T-City" Ortega's UFC finishes

10 days ago
4/18/08

This thread usually comes a lot earlier in the prefight

10 days ago
5/8/16

I think its because after usada he has still been successful.. most these guys like belfort for example started performing badly and ages into old man body right away.. that has happened with more fighters then not.. wiedmen is another 1 that stands out

10 days ago
8/8/18

A lot of people on here are hypocrites and only flame fighters that they don't like when they pop. 

10 days ago
8/8/18
The Pendulum -

Do you not care that he cheated? People around here seem to rreally hate cheaters no matter what. 

10 days ago
4/19/17

He's one of the few that took it like a man. He wasn't crying like Jon Jones making every excuse in the book. He said he did it, served his time, has not lost since. If he would have won a bunch of UFC fights THEN tested positive, then we are in an entire new discussion. Jon Jones and Anderson Silva's entire UFC career has an asterisk because they did amazing things and then got busted for steroids so you have to assume they've been doing it all along. Ortega got busted at the beginning and has done amazing since.

10 days ago
4/19/17
Joshinho -
The Pendulum -

Do you not care that he cheated? People around here seem to rreally hate cheaters no matter what. 

I don't care that he cheated because he immediately got busted and confessed..... And hasn't had a single hiccup since. Jon Jones has cheated his entire career and made a legacy off if cheating just like Anderson Silva. Ortega started his legacy after getting in trouble.

10 days ago
2/15/11
oranos - 
ShootProod -
oranos - 

Let me check. Huge Ortega fan. Yep, sarcasm.

Maybe I should put more than one smiley face for you, going forward.

:) :)
10 days ago
5/26/18
oranos -

The justification I found most common is that he

1. admitted to it immediately

2. has never failed since

I feel these are basically prerequisites to forgiveness for most things in life. 

10 days ago
11/20/09
Lights Out Lurker - 

He's one of the few that took it like a man. He wasn't crying like Jon Jones making every excuse in the book. He said he did it, served his time, has not lost since. If he would have won a bunch of UFC fights THEN tested positive, then we are in an entire new discussion. Jon Jones and Anderson Silva's entire UFC career has an asterisk because they did amazing things and then got busted for steroids so you have to assume they've been doing it all along. Ortega got busted at the beginning and has done amazing since.

I see some flaws in your logic.

Why does it matter if he was cheating only in the UFC?  If he was cheating leading up to UFC, perhaps he wouldn't have gotten in the UFC if he wasn't cheating.  That's an argument.

#2, just because he's passed drug test since does not guarantee he hasn't been cheating, it can mean he has learned to garner the system better.

I'd like to give him benefit of doubt but you have to have an open mind even on negative possabilities.