UnderGround Forums Ortega's failed drug test after debut

6 days ago
7/8/16
oranos -
ShootProod -
oranos - 
ShootProod - Interesting.. Good thing there's no such thing as "once a cheater, always a cheater" :)

Not seeing how that applies. Are you somehow able to predict to 100% certainty that he hasn't used PEDs since then?

Sarcasm homie. I don't think he's a cheater. Making fun of the UGers that jump all over people who got a second chance.

That was some weird fucking sarcasm. You sure you aren't just trying to save face my dude?

You are a weird dude my man. That had sarcasm oooozing out of his statement. Hence the quotations and smiley face at the end. 

6 days ago
8/2/11

It’s still a black mark on his career. Early confession or not. He could have been using for years leading up to that test

6 days ago
5/14/13
Joshinho -
The Pendulum -

Brian came forward, said it was a stupid thing to do, as he'd thought he wasn't going to make weight. Understandable for a 23 year old.

Point is, he's never dodged criticism for it, and has absolutely held himself responsible. I believe him. I don't believe guys who get popped over and over, while insisting they took nothing, or go with the tainted supplement excuse. Having said that, if the guy can immediately identify the substance, I'd be more inclined to believe them. Coming out and saying 'I don't know what supplements I take' is not truthful and a blatant slap in the face to fans.

Do you not care that he cheated? People around here seem to rreally hate cheaters no matter what. 

I do care, but it's understandable. He has a reasonable explanation, and he's always been open about the issue. Said it was an extremely stupid thing to do. He owned his mistake, and said he won't do it again. If he fucks up in the future Id be reevaluating my opinion on him, but that would also be dependant on circumstances.

6 days ago
12/1/14
The Pendulum -

Brian came forward, said it was a stupid thing to do, as he'd thought he wasn't going to make weight. Understandable for a 23 year old.

Point is, he's never dodged criticism for it, and has absolutely held himself responsible. I believe him. I don't believe guys who get popped over and over, while insisting they took nothing, or go with the tainted supplement excuse. Having said that, if the guy can immediately identify the substance, I'd be more inclined to believe them. Coming out and saying 'I don't know what supplements I take' is not truthful and a blatant slap in the face to fans.

This. Well said. 

5 days ago
4/18/08
Yaaaaaa Buddddddy -
oranos -
ShootProod -
oranos - 
ShootProod - Interesting.. Good thing there's no such thing as "once a cheater, always a cheater" :)

Not seeing how that applies. Are you somehow able to predict to 100% certainty that he hasn't used PEDs since then?

Sarcasm homie. I don't think he's a cheater. Making fun of the UGers that jump all over people who got a second chance.

That was some weird fucking sarcasm. You sure you aren't just trying to save face my dude?

You are a weird dude my man. That had sarcasm oooozing out of his statement. Hence the quotations and smiley face at the end. 

Autism

5 days ago
3/12/02
ABCTT_HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe -

The teamate was Kevin Casey. That may have something to do with why he isn't affiliated with Blackhouse anymore. Back then, Blackhouse was his team, and he trained Jiu Jitsu at the Gracie Academy in Torrence.

Wasn’t he training under Royoids Gracie at the time? Royce has the dubious distinction of registering the highest level of banned PEDs of any athlete ever tested by the CSAC.

5 days ago
7/22/15
oranos -

I didn't know this so I'm assuming some of you might not either but apparently Brian Ortega was suspended (pre-usada) for 9 months following his debut for a failed drug test. He tested for drostanolone which another fighter from the gym he was with at the time also pissed hot.

This was brought up elsewhere but it seems like this pretty much flew under the radar as his character has never been questioned after the fact.

Elsewhere, the comparison was made as to why he was never held to the same standards as other fighters who failed for actual PED use.

The next fight he had when he came back, they made a big deal about it at that time when he fought Thiago Tavares, and that was one hell of a fight, that's when I knew that guy was tough as fuck, Thiago beat on him and he never quit, he finally won the fight when he punched a hole in Thiago's head. It was a great fight, so yeah they did talk about it before and during that fight.

5 days ago
12/9/13

he owned it, totally different like Cyborg/Barnett for example

5 days ago
2/24/07
Lights Out Lurker - 
Joshinho -
The Pendulum -

Do you not care that he cheated? People around here seem to rreally hate cheaters no matter what. 

I don't care that he cheated because he immediately got busted and confessed..... And hasn't had a single hiccup since. Jon Jones has cheated his entire career and made a legacy off if cheating just like Anderson Silva. Ortega started his legacy after getting in trouble.

Joshinho is right. It’s a fanboy situation.

You assume (yet state it as fact) that Jones and Anderson cheated their entire careers, despite passing tests, because you don’t like them. Then you assume that Ortega hasnt cheated since, because you like him.

You are making assumptions based on your emotions
Edited: 5 days ago
11/9/17
oranos - 

The justification I found most common is that he

1. admitted to it immediately

2. has never failed since

Yet others are to this day condemned, you either cheat or you don't! You either accept that athletes use Anabolics or you don't! Take a position people FFS!

5 days ago
11/27/13

Gotta respect the guy for putting his hand up and not bs’ing like most others. Was listening to Jones on the Ariel show and lost count of how many times he made the reference “pinch of salt in an Olympic sized swimming pool” in relation to popping for his “man pill”.

5 days ago
11/27/13
PelosiesPanties -
oranos - 

Yet others are to this day condemned, you either cheat or you don't! You either accept that athletes use Anabolics or you don't! Take a position people FFS!

Lol is this more sarcasm or actually serious? Hoping for sarcasm.

5 days ago
2/24/07
KING Stannis Baratheon - 
PelosiesPanties -
oranos - 

He’s right. Cheating is cheating, whether you admit to it or not. You’re still choosing to inject steroids to get an advantage.
5 days ago
1/1/01
i dont care about the failed test that much.

What I don't get, is how no one ever criticizes Ortega for being a giant for his weight class.

He always looks like he's 1 or 2 weight classes above his opponent.

We've criticized guys for decades for this. Ortega seems to get a pass.
5 days ago
1/30/16
KING Stannis Baratheon -

Gotta respect the guy for putting his hand up and not bs’ing like most others. Was listening to Jones on the Ariel show and lost count of how many times he made the reference “pinch of salt in an Olympic sized swimming pool” in relation to popping for his “man pill”.

That was painful. Like he rehearsed it a bunch of times and was like “this is believable.....gotta make sure I say punch of salt every time”

5 days ago
2/24/07
dangerboy12 - i dont care about the failed test that much.

What I don't get, is how no one ever criticizes Ortega for being a giant for his weight class.

He always looks like he's 1 or 2 weight classes above his opponent.

We've criticized guys for decades for this. Ortega seems to get a pass.

Again, it’s a fanboy thing. If you’re 6’4” Jones you’re too big for LHW and it’s no fair. If you’re 6’5” Gustafson it’s ok. Or if you’re Rumble who had success at HW or DC who it’s ok. Just comes down to who UGers are a fan of.

IMO if an fighter makes weight no problem they’re in the right weight class
5 days ago
10/13/07
oranos -
ShootProod -
oranos - 

The guy put it in quotes and added a smiley face. Not sure how you would interpret it as anything other than sarcasm 

5 days ago
11/27/13
FrontBroRian -
KING Stannis Baratheon - 
PelosiesPanties -
oranos - 

He’s right. Cheating is cheating, whether you admit to it or not. You’re still choosing to inject steroids to get an advantage.

I agree “cheating is cheating” but “you either cheat or you don’t” doesn’t make so much sense to me. Does that mean because he cheated once years ago he is still cheating now? Does it diminish all the big victory’s he has had since then, while not popping for anything?

Regardless he gets props from me for being in that very small percentage who doesn’t use one of the current generic excuses.

5 days ago
11/27/13
danybayamon23 -
KING Stannis Baratheon -

That was painful. Like he rehearsed it a bunch of times and was like “this is believable.....gotta make sure I say punch of salt every time”

Yeh it kinda felt like he was trying to NLP the fuck out of the listeners.. The guy seems so obviously fake, bit like a wolf in sheep’s clothing.

5 days ago
2/24/07
KING Stannis Baratheon - 
FrontBroRian -
KING Stannis Baratheon - 
PelosiesPanties -
oranos - 

I agree “cheating is cheating” but “you either cheat or you don’t” doesn’t make so much sense to me. Does that mean because he cheated once years ago he is still cheating now? Does it diminish all the big victory’s he has had since then, while not popping for anything?

Regardless he gets props from me for being in that very small percentage who doesn’t use one of the current generic excuses.

But that is the logic with fighters people don’t like. Go to any Jones thread. You’ll have many saying he gets credit for no wins ever as he’s always been a cheater, as if they know it as fact. Many have also said he’s going to cheat again for the Gus fight, so they’ve already decided he gets no credit for that win should he pass all tests. And that’s the double standard imo when it comes to a fighter people like vs dislike
5 days ago
12/9/13
FrontBroRian -
KING Stannis Baratheon - 
FrontBroRian -
KING Stannis Baratheon - 
PelosiesPanties -
oranos - 

But that is the logic with fighters people don’t like. Go to any Jones thread. You’ll have many saying he gets credit for no wins ever as he’s always been a cheater, as if they know it as fact. Many have also said he’s going to cheat again for the Gus fight, so they’ve already decided he gets no credit for that win should he pass all tests. And that’s the double standard imo when it comes to a fighter people like vs dislike

i like Jones as a fighter but i hate him for fucking things up so many times and leaving like 60 million on the table for his family.

5 days ago
8/6/06
Koga -
ABCTT_HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe -

The teamate was Kevin Casey. That may have something to do with why he isn't affiliated with Blackhouse anymore. Back then, Blackhouse was his team, and he trained Jiu Jitsu at the Gracie Academy in Torrence.

Wasn’t he training under Royoids Gracie at the time? Royce has the dubious distinction of registering the highest level of banned PEDs of any athlete ever tested by the CSAC.

I think he was just at the Gracie Academy in Torrence and Blackhouse. I think a couple Blackhouse guys got busted for tge same thing, around that time.

5 days ago
1/1/01
The Pendulum -

drostanolone to cut weight?  Not that I’ve heard of. Maybe I’m wrong though. I’ve always heard it as a muscle builder. Add muscle while cutting maybe but not just as a specific cutting agent. 

5 days ago
11/9/15

It's ok because he's not Jon Jones.

5 days ago
8/6/06
mix headroom -

It's ok because he's not Jon Jones.

Yeah, difference is that nobody tries to claim Brian Ortega is the greatest fighter in history.