UnderGround Forums PFL looks like a huge failure

12/5/19 12:30 PM
1/1/01

Many people (myself included) thought there was no room for a third national org in the US with the UFC and Bellator around.

They did not even sell 500 tickets for the third playoff. High school wrestling dual meets can sell 1,000 tickets. This is a big org with Kevin Hart as a spokesperson, $1 million dollar tournaments prizes, ESPN+ distribution... rather amazing they failed to sell even 1,000 tickets for the 3rd playoff in the fight capital of the world.

You have to wonder how many more seasons they will be able to attract investors for.

Jed I. Goodman‏ @jedigoodman 19h19 hours ago

#PFL Playoffs Events at Mandalay Bay PFL 7 Oct 11 Gate: $144,888.34 Tickets Sold: 3,346 Comps: 3,004 PFL 8 Oct 17 Gate: $77,190.82 Tickets Sold: 1,571 Comps: 2,261 PFL 9 Oct 31 Gate: $29,716.40 Tickets Sold: 411 Comps: 2,202

12/5/19 12:43 PM
4/21/12

The four semi-final winners at PFL 8 were each paid $99K. Each guy earned more than the entire event got in ticket sales.

A guy named Natan Schulte, who apparenly won $1million in last year's LW tournament, will once again compete for a million on New Year's Eve. He fights a guy named Loik Radzhabov. Sorry, I don't follow this PFL stuff, so I couldn't pick these guys out of a lineup.

My prediction: PFL will probably disappear within a year, and it won't surprise anyone if they don't have another season after 12/31/19. It's unsustainable.

12/5/19 12:48 PM
1/1/01
MAGAFighter Fan -

One man’s “failure” is another man’s gravy train.

Ray is a crook and a monster. Don’t believe their bogus accounting. They getting rich just in a sneaky way as not to pay taxes on the laundered portion.

Ask Kayla Harrison or any of their top earners. They get a lot of their pay under the table so Uncle Sam does not get his fair share.

Laundered from where to where?

12/5/19 1:17 PM
11/20/05

With the playoff format it seems most guys play it safe and try to grind out 2 round decisions. Especially with a million dollars on the line, guys will play it safe and try to win in points. Which makes for boring fights, and nobody watching.

Ray Cooper is the only fighter off the top of my head that I can remember putting on exciting performances in the PFL.

12/5/19 1:30 PM
1/1/01
Hate420 -

With the playoff format it seems most guys play it safe and try to grind out 2 round decisions. Especially with a million dollars on the line, guys will play it safe and try to win in points. Which makes for boring fights, and nobody watching.

Ray Cooper is the only fighter off the top of my head that I can remember putting on exciting performances in the PFL.

Almost half of all playoff fights ended via KO/TKO/sub.

12/5/19 1:32 PM
11/20/05
BJ Penn Forever -
Hate420 -

Maybe so, but didn't seem to be the case in the few events I've caught. Nothing has really made me want to tune back in for more. I'll watch Cooper fight anytime though.

12/5/19 1:41 PM
1/1/01
Hate420 -
BJ Penn Forever -
Hate420 -

Maybe so, but didn't seem to be the case in the few events I've caught. Nothing has really made me want to tune back in for more. I'll watch Cooper fight anytime though.

I watched two shows from them this year and just don't have time to watch more because I watch a lot of UFC/Bellator and a little ONE/RIZIN too. Can't spend any more time watching sports, especially their product.

12/5/19 2:24 PM
6/27/02

I never know when it is or how to watch it. 

12/5/19 2:32 PM
5/15/09

I don't think they rely much on ticket sales to fund their operation. Because everytime there is an event in DC, they come by our gym and pass out a massive amount of free tickets. But i dont understand the intracacies of big business sooo who knows

12/5/19 2:33 PM
5/10/03

Think weeknight events are tough to do in the social media era. How many people watch Thursday Night Football unless it’s their hometown team or has pivotal fantasy football implications? And PFL doesn’t have the fantasy prize element or built in fanbase like NFL teams.

12/5/19 2:49 PM
2/19/18

I'm surprised it's still going

12/5/19 2:56 PM
10/9/10
Hate420 -
BJ Penn Forever -
Hate420 -

Some events are like the one BJPF is referring to, but most that I’ve seen have been like the ones you’re describing. Even Wade who said he wanted to be exciting and started to fight that way, went back to wrestling to get the win. When that much money is on the line and when the disparity between what you make when you lose and what you make when you win is that much, this is what happens. 

IMO it’s better make it less than a million dollar prize, or just stop doing 50/50 with show/win bonus. It should be something like 50k to show and 75k to win, as an example. That’s what I’d like to see. 

12/5/19 2:57 PM
10/9/10
BJ Penn Forever -
Hate420 -
BJ Penn Forever -
Hate420 -

I watched two shows from them this year and just don't have time to watch more because I watch a lot of UFC/Bellator and a little ONE/RIZIN too. Can't spend any more time watching sports, especially their product.

ONE and RIZIN are tiers above PFL in terms of excitement 

12/5/19 2:58 PM
10/9/10
TheRealJoker -

Think weeknight events are tough to do in the social media era. How many people watch Thursday Night Football unless it’s their hometown team or has pivotal fantasy football implications? And PFL doesn’t have the fantasy prize element or built in fanbase like NFL teams.

If PFL wanted to do it more like “real sports” the way they are doing it now, Sunday’s are probably a much better option. 

12/5/19 8:47 PM
1/1/01
PFL being on weeknights is the only reason I do watch. I watched every show this year and I did so ONLY because it was one weeknights.

Running on Halloween was always going to be tough, but yikes, 411 sold is rough.
12/5/19 9:28 PM
11/22/13
KirkBJJ -

If only there was an MMA web site or forum you could access to find out such things. Someone should probably build one to overcome such an intractable problem!

12/10/19 1:04 AM
11/19/09

Well there should be advertising for it on this and other mma sites but I seldom see anything for them

12/10/19 1:23 AM
8/2/11

It is a shame because I'd like to see Ray do well. I expect he put a lot of time and money into this 

12/10/19 8:36 AM
1/1/01
They have 69k twitter followers and 99k youtube subscribers.

Not sure what would be considered good for them at this point or if those followers are all real or not.

Kayla Harrison is not looking like the next Ronda at this point... their Kayla Road to the playoffs highlight on youtube has 6.6k views. Cyborg was a slower build to stardom too though.

Most of their 2019 playoff videos have less than 10k views. One has 89k.

Their top 10 or top 15 subs/ko vids of the season look to have done great with one having 8 million views and others getting 2 mil, 500k etc...
12/10/19 8:39 AM
1/1/01
Bellator/UFC already offer so much MMA on Friday/Sat nights that I just don't the the average fan wants to stop life and watch even more MMA on Thrs night.

Athletes like Palmer and Rosholt won't retain viewers either. They will do more harm than good for a new org.
12/10/19 8:54 AM
6/28/10
KirkBJJ -

It's been the same time and channel forever