UnderGround Forums Paulie Malagnaggi boxing wins were they fixed ?

6/24/19 12:00 AM
7/2/07
Were his key wins fixed ?

Or did the idea / fear of getting hurt without gloves cause him to lock up that much ?

He truly looked really fearful of losing or getting hurt. Based on the corner comments and the nerves it seemed to be the idea of getting hurt that caused him to lock up.

He did not perform like a journeyman boxer let alone a world class boxer.

Was he ever a world class boxer ? Or did the desire for an Italian to cheer for motivate boxing promoters to fix his key fights?

Get all the Al Colognes to spend their money on boxing .
6/24/19 12:24 AM
2/14/11

Probably nerves, ring rust and not being able to pull the trigger anymore. 

6/24/19 12:42 AM
7/2/07
TerrySilver - 

Probably nerves, ring rust and not being able to pull the trigger anymore. 

All fair expiinarions
6/24/19 12:51 AM
12/2/11

He fought like a pussy last night.. Legit surprised he has a good boxing record 

6/24/19 12:56 AM
1/23/06
pointfighting is not a good approach to bareknuckle. Don't want to pile on the guy too much because I'm sure he's down enough on himself. Lobov scarred him badly.
6/24/19 1:07 AM
7/31/09

Hiw long ago was his last fight? It's been a while hasnt it? Still would have expected much better though.

6/24/19 2:57 AM
8/31/11

Figured his hands were hurt early. Also hes almost 40. Wasn't a great fight by either. And it seemed the ref was breaking the clinch awfully fast. 

6/24/19 10:19 AM
12/28/10

They both fought like shit, Garcia vs Knight will be a banger tho.

6/24/19 12:53 PM
1/1/01

I was surprised, I thought his boxing would be on a much higher level than Artem’s and he might absolutely tool him. I knew he didn’t hit hard but thought he’d hit him often enough to stop him in bare knuckle. That said I was rooting for Lobov so I was happy with the result, just surprised.

we've seen this now a number of times going back to when mma guys went into k1 and to my surprise did really well. I’m starting to think that high level boxers aren’t THAT much better at boxing than high level mma strikers. I used to think the gap between them was pretty huge, but there’s been enough evidence now that it’s closer than I thought.

even Conor-Mayweather was like that to a degree. I thought mayweather would easily stop Conor. Even though he won easily it was far more competitive than I expected.

6/24/19 2:26 PM
1/16/12

Boxing without gloves takes away 50% of a boxers offense and defense.

Other then the obvious parts that leave boxers open with there defense. There is a part people are not seeing.

It’s harder being accurate with bare knuckle boxing & when you miss it feels like your over swung. In boxing a missed strikes still lands on the opponent. 

People just really underestimate striking with smaller gloves or no gloves

Edited: 6/24/19 3:25 PM
7/15/04
God Of Thunder -

Lobov is made for this kind of fighting. He’s a throwback to the gladiator days. He doesn’t care about getting hurt and won’t stop coming at you 

True, even if a bit hyperbolic. Artem comes forward and swings, has some power, is tough. A living legend.

Edited: 6/24/19 3:28 PM
7/15/04
bradu -

I was surprised, I thought his boxing would be on a much higher level than Artem’s and he might absolutely tool him. I knew he didn’t hit hard but thought he’d hit him often enough to stop him in bare knuckle. That said I was rooting for Lobov so I was happy with the result, just surprised.

we've seen this now a number of times going back to when mma guys went into k1 and to my surprise did really well. I’m starting to think that high level boxers aren’t THAT much better at boxing than high level mma strikers. I used to think the gap between them was pretty huge, but there’s been enough evidence now that it’s closer than I thought.

even Conor-Mayweather was like that to a degree. I thought mayweather would easily stop Conor. Even though he won easily it was far more competitive than I expected.

I thought the same originally when I watched it as well. Watching it again, Mayweather was stringing Conor along to an extent. Once he turned it up, Conor was severely outclassed. Mayweather literally walked him down at will and Conor had no answer for it.

6/25/19 12:46 AM
7/2/07
CRE - pointfighting is not a good approach to bareknuckle. Don't want to pile on the guy too much because I'm sure he's down enough on himself. Lobov scarred him badly.

Yes Paulie is a point fighter

Maybe it is just as simple as the Irish do better at bareknuckle than the Italians.

Artem rightly referenced Irish bareknuckle boxing
6/25/19 2:26 AM
8/5/13
TexDeuce -
God Of Thunder -

Lobov is made for this kind of fighting. He’s a throwback to the gladiator days. He doesn’t care about getting hurt and won’t stop coming at you 

True, even if a bit hyperbolic. Artem comes forward and swings, has some power, is tough. A living legend.

A living goat!

6/25/19 3:48 AM
11/16/09
Davy -

He fought like a pussy last night.. Legit surprised he has a good boxing record 

Paulie is tailor made to get goofed in that sort of fight.

Guy was never known for his power, just a slick pitty pat type guy. He put it on you through volume. 

Artem has a 10 gallon head. Personally, I thought Paulie would win, but I didn't think it would be easy for him. I figured Artem would put the pressure on, and try to bully him. Which is basically what happened. I just expected Paulie to deal with it better. He didn't.

Plus all the stuff the other guy said. He's past it. Artem is in his prime, Paulie is probably 5 years past the tail end of his prime at best, and, he's a little guy. Little guys not named floyd don't tend to last outside that sell on by date. They rely on speed, whereas big boys often rely on power. It's why you can have a 45 year old HW champ, and it would almost be laughable to consider a 145 pound 45 year old anything but a curiosity.

6/25/19 4:07 AM
1/10/13

Paulie was at his best at 135-140lbs. He lost his legitimate world title all the way back in 2008 to Ricky Hatton.  He picked up another title much later, but he wasn't THE champion then. He'd been KO'd in 3 of his last 6 fights. He was in an unfamiliarr setting, with no gloves at a higher weight and coming off of a two year layoff. I'm sure his nerves had him which is why he was so jitterish. 

The guy is washed up and has been for many years. Its not like Artem beat Jermell Charlo, Canelo or a legit current top boxer. This does nothing to prove boxing sucks or not.

6/25/19 4:28 AM
3/25/02

Can someone rename this thread, “I don’t know much about boxing, but was Pauliie really that good?”

It’s a fair question. Paulie is a great boxer and showed great boxing in a bare knuckle boxing fight that, rightly so, isn’t scored the same as a pro boxing match. I can understand his frustration, as he felt he won handily based on the game he’s grown up with. My favorite thing about this fight is the fact that it’s made the fight community consider what should be considered when scoring bare knuckle boxing. 

6/25/19 5:56 AM
7/2/07
It is natural for people with limited knowledge to want to try to explain things by overestimating their own experience.

6/25/19 7:24 AM
5/15/15

No. Next question