UnderGround Forums Paulo Costa's doctor suspended 2 years by USADA

4 days ago
1/1/01

Dr. Lucas Penchel, of Belo Horizonte, Brazil, has received a two-year sanction for a violation of the UFC Anti-Doping Policy (UFC ADP) resulting from his complicity in the administration and use of over-limit intravenous (IV) infusions of permitted substances on June 2, 2017, and November 3, 2017, by Carlos Costa and Paulo Costa, respectively.

In 2017, IV infusions and/or injections of more than 50 mL per 6-hour period were prohibited except for those legitimately received in the course of hospital admissions, surgical procedures, or clinical investigations under the UFC ADP. The UFC ADP has since been amended and now prohibits IV infusions and/or injections of more than 100 mL per 12-hour period with the added exception of those determined to be medically justified and within the standard of care by a licensed physician and administered by a licensed medical professional. Applying the current rules, the 2017 infusions remain in violation of the UFC ADP.

During its investigation, USADA learned that Dr. Penchel recommended and prescribed the 2017 prohibited IV infusions. The UFC ADP applies to Athlete Support Personnel who are directly working with, treating, or assisting any UFC athlete in a professional or sport-related capacity. This includes, without limitation, acting as a manager, coach, trainer, second, corner man, agent, or medical personnel.

“Dr. Penchel, like all athlete support personnel, was entrusted to help athletes make safe and informed decisions, but instead, he violated anti-doping rules and his oath to best protect athletes’ health and safety,” said USADA CEO Travis T. Tygart.

Dr. Penchel’s two-year period of ineligibility began on March 17, 2020, the date he accepted his sanction.

h/t UFC.USADA.org

4 days ago
1/19/12

In for the comments

4 days ago
6/27/02

Oh boy lol 

4 days ago
1/2/20
Just saw 'paulo costa usada 2 years' and thought its about damn time until i read op lol.
Edited: 4 days ago
11/24/13

Good, now catch the stars that Zuffa sponsors to do this. This will be the hardest task (likely impossible due to corruption). Fighters that Zuffa wants to force into stardom (or are already stars) have a free pass to do this shit, with full protection. Conor and Ngannou are blatantly obvious examples. Ngannou looked like a God when he was at the UFC PI, then Dana got pissed when Ngannou went to France on Holiday right before a fight, and as punishment kicked him out of the PI. Immediately as a result, Ngannou looked like shit and went on a two fight losing streak. Now he's back at the PI and is looking like his formerly enhanced self.

From the very beginning, USADA was brought in the UFC as a mechanic for Zuffa to control outcomes of fights. They allow their stars to IV and use PEDs, and actively try to bust non-star fighters to prevent their stars from being dethroned.

4 days ago
9/22/11

Sounds like he did a jon jones and named names.

The boys are drawing a road map for future champions.....its inspirational. 

4 days ago
7/22/15

I'm sure there is zero connection.

4 days ago
8/22/14
Kirik -

Dr. Lucas Penchel, of Belo Horizonte, Brazil, has received a two-year sanction for a violation of the UFC Anti-Doping Policy (UFC ADP) resulting from his complicity in the administration and use of over-limit intravenous (IV) infusions of permitted substances on June 2, 2017, and November 3, 2017, by Carlos Costa and Paulo Costa, respectively.

In 2017, IV infusions and/or injections of more than 50 mL per 6-hour period were prohibited except for those legitimately received in the course of hospital admissions, surgical procedures, or clinical investigations under the UFC ADP. The UFC ADP has since been amended and now prohibits IV infusions and/or injections of more than 100 mL per 12-hour period with the added exception of those determined to be medically justified and within the standard of care by a licensed physician and administered by a licensed medical professional. Applying the current rules, the 2017 infusions remain in violation of the UFC ADP.

During its investigation, USADA learned that Dr. Penchel recommended and prescribed the 2017 prohibited IV infusions. The UFC ADP applies to Athlete Support Personnel who are directly working with, treating, or assisting any UFC athlete in a professional or sport-related capacity. This includes, without limitation, acting as a manager, coach, trainer, second, corner man, agent, or medical personnel.

“Dr. Penchel, like all athlete support personnel, was entrusted to help athletes make safe and informed decisions, but instead, he violated anti-doping rules and his oath to best protect athletes’ health and safety,” said USADA CEO Travis T. Tygart.

Dr. Penchel’s two-year period of ineligibility began on March 17, 2020, the date he accepted his sanction.

h/t UFC.USADA.org

Just to clarify.   ( could be just me here , im not at my sharpest at the minute) 

It appears that the doc has effectively received no punishment.  If they've only just came to this decision and he's been going about his business as normal for an infraction dating back over 2 years, giving him a 2 year sentence starting from then...

Not only is that not time served....  that's effectively no punishment at all.  

Am i missing something here???

4 days ago
5/8/13
bungee up -
Kirik -

h/t UFC.USADA.org

Just to clarify.   ( could be just me here , im not at my sharpest at the minute) 

It appears that the doc has effectively received no punishment.  If they've only just came to this decision and he's been going about his business as normal for an infraction dating back over 2 years, giving him a 2 year sentence starting from then...

Yes, the suspension just started 6 days ago, when doc finally accepted it. Lasts 2 years from now.... so punishment just started & will last 2 years. Get it? 

3 days ago
6/14/12

Edited: 3 days ago
10/9/10
Connorwinztharematch -

From the guy in my history a Greek god. 

3 days ago
11/11/12

Is this the first timea doctor has been suspended by usada?  lol

7/22/15
MasterofMartialArts -
Connorwinztharematch -

From the guy in my history to a Greek god. 

Hes chiseled out of hot piss.

9/26/10
Connorwinztharematch -

basically clean

Image result for paulo costa

3 days ago
11/28/03

reminds me of when cyborg failed usada, and ufc got her a retroactive tue for it

3 days ago
3/19/04

I like Costa but he doesn't pass the "eye test".

3 days ago
8/22/14
Dugs95 -
bungee up -
Kirik -

h/t UFC.USADA.org

Yes, the suspension just started 6 days ago, when doc finally accepted it. Lasts 2 years from now.... so punishment just started & will last 2 years. Get it? 

I was having a blond moment.  Read the day as the year at the end.. about 4 times. 

3 days ago
11/11/12
Canooke -

I like Costa but he doesn't pass the "eye test".

Yeah seriously looks like his arms have been photoshopped lol

3 days ago
6/30/10

That makes Yoel an even better champ than he already was. 

3 days ago
10/9/10
Unkind Zuffa -
MasterofMartialArts -
Connorwinztharematch -

From the guy in my history to a Greek god. 

Hes chiseled out of hot piss.

:) 

3 days ago
2/10/20
Connorwinztharematch -

I wonder if the doctor is the same one that "cleared" him form his "injury".....

3 days ago
6/14/12

Paulo is juiced to the tits and isnt fooling anyone. How the fuck hes made it passed usada is anyones guess. 

3 days ago
7/10/02
Connorwinztharematch - 

Paulo is juiced to the tits and isnt fooling anyone. How the fuck hes made it passed usada is anyones guess. 

Probably more science than guess ;)

2 days ago
11/19/07

So the DR is not allowed to fight for 2 years...

2 days ago
5/5/13
KingMartyrJack -
Connorwinztharematch -

I wonder if the doctor is the same one that "cleared" him form his "injury".....

I was thinking the same. Anyone?