UnderGround Forums Pirate pocket saved by COVID

5 days ago
1/1/01

A restaurant in Florida allegedly showed its patrons UFC 239 on July 6, 2019, but paid only the residential fee, not the far higher commercial fee. The restaurant advertised about the broadcast on social media, which came to the UFC's attention, which pursued damages in civil court. The league sought $40,000 in damages for unauthorized interception of the transmission, $40,000 in damages for copyright infringement, $612 in attorney’s fees and $800 in costs.

When the restaurant presented no defense, a clerk’s default was entered prior to the UFC moving for default judgment. The court recognized willful violations of the Communications Act and the UFC's copyright, which allowed it to award enhanced damages. However, while the court acknowledged that while enhanced damages should generally be substantial enough to discourage future lawless conduct, it should not be so severe so as to seriously impair the viability of the defendant’s business.

And that's where COVID-19 comes in; the pandemic is of course hitting Florida particularly hard.

“It is impossible to ignore the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic in applying this standard,” stated the court. “Restaurants remain in significant economic distress, with restrictions on indoor dining capacity still in effect. An award that might otherwise amount to a strong deterrent could be catastrophic.”

Instead of awarding the plaintiff with its requested $60,000 in enhanced damages, the court awarded a mere $1,000 in that category of relief. 

h/t Darren Heitner for Above The Law

5 days ago
7/2/09

LOL, there are so many layers of retarded in that story it's hard to take sides.

Why not this: restaurant turns over proceeds for *THAT NIGHT* to the UFC.  Seems reasonable.  Restaurants would still do it, but the UFC makes as much money as they possibly *could have* made from the restaurant.  For the restaurant, it's the same as not opening the front door that day, except that they spent the day doing really good advertising.

5 days ago
1/1/01

They got lucky.  Ive seen other restaurants do the same thing,  I just shrug my shoulders

5 days ago
2/20/20

We used to do that at my local bar, only because we wanted to watch the fights, they didnt make any money extra than a regular night. And would u believe, a guy I bought from bjj school , who worked in media, actually ratted us out!!! Bar was hit with lawsuit, not sure what came of it, because they were closing down regardless.

5 days ago
2/20/20
BAGZbp -

We used to do that at my local bar, only because we wanted to watch the fights, they didnt make any money extra than a regular night. And would u believe, a guy I bought from bjj school , who worked in media, actually ratted us out!!! Bar was hit with lawsuit, not sure what came of it, because they were closing down regardless.

*brought

5 days ago
5/18/03
BAGZbp - 

After finding out, Did you hold the chokes and submissions a little longer than usual? More pressure on that knee on belly to make sure he had to Change drawers afterwards? He broke a special covenant between you and other bar members, He violated an unspoken code.

We have a place here in Hawaii that showed the fights and never charged. A hole in the wall spot, and okay priced food. But great to watch the fights. Most places charge $5-10 for the fights.
Edited: 5 days ago
11/24/10

Years ago I use to go to a local pizza joint/bar that showed all the UFC PPVs then the owner found out about the commercial fee for showing the fights and he stopped. Only because he had a small place that could only seat about 20 people and he didn't think paying that would benefit him because he always had the same amount of people there, regardless if the fight was being showed so why show a fight and have to pay an extra fee when you can keep the same amount of people at your business without the fight 

5 days ago
6/26/17

Kirik likes fishdicks

5 days ago
6/26/17

It's weird

5 days ago
5/8/20
BAGZbp -

I hope he was thrown out of the gym after that

5 days ago
4/21/09

I have checked on the pricing for a bar, restaurant. They are insane what the UFC is asking for these places to show fights. For a BWW or Hooters, sure nothing to them. But a random bar trying to get into showing the fights I see no benefit. It's dumb on the ufcs part if you ask me. They seem to try their hardest to get people to pirate there product. 

5 days ago
11/18/14

does anyone know what the commercial fee is?

if you try to gouge someone's asshole, it just increases the chances of them wanting to gouge yours.

Edited: 4 days ago
12/15/07
Deleted because I misread, lucky indeed!