UnderGround Forums Poirier: If Khabib is retired, then ...

11/25/20 11:06 AM
1/1/01

MMA retirement is usually more comedy than tragedy, but the status of UFC lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov is awkward at present. "The Eagle" retired after defeating Justin Gaethje at UFC 254 last month, citing a promise he made to his mother. UFC president Dana White says Khabib was still the champ and would fight again. However, while Nurmagomedov said "Oh no I won't," he remains prominently in the USADA testing pool, and recently posted a message to White on his social network - "See you soon." Further, Nurmagomedov's manager Ali Abdelaziz, who likes to tease, recently posted a shorter message still on his own social network - "30-0."

Meanwhile, former interim division champ Dustin Poirier, who lost to Nurmagomedov last year and fights Conor McGregor at UFC 257 on 1/23, spoke recently with Mike Bohn for MMA Junkie, and argued that if Nurmagomedov is retired, then the McGregor rematch should be for the title.

“I think if Khabib’s retired and not coming back, then I’m next in line for the title shot, and this could be the title fight,” said Poirier. “This could be for the undisputed belt. I think that’d make sense. Dana’s saying one thing, Khabib’s saying another. Who knows what the truth is? Time will tell.”

“The division has to move on. The only thing that makes me think the guy is serious is, first of all, he doesn’t seem like a bulls****er, and if he said he’s done right after the fight and his father just passed away, it’s an emotional moment. You just got another title defense, you get to go back home to your family. You might say those things right after. But a month later, you’re still singing the same tune? Maybe the guy’s mind is somewhere else. Maybe he is moving forward. Maybe, like he said, he’s accomplished everything he set out to do. I don’t know. But if he is done, somebody has to fight for that belt.”

“I want the undisputed belt. I think in this situation, with him just defending, I don’t think an interim belt makes a whole lot of sense.”

“If the title’s not on the line for this fight with Conor, it’s going to be the next fight. After I beat Conor, my next fight will be for the belt if this isn’t it.”

11/25/20 12:17 PM
11/20/08

But Khabibs latest tweet implies he is coming back, Ali tweeted the same awhile back, Dana as well

Sorry Dustin, this wont be a title fight

11/25/20 12:25 PM
1/1/12

He's trying to score a title out of this... Fuck no. What if he loses? Then we have to listen to Conor again? Naw I'm good. 

11/25/20 12:42 PM
2/20/20

Id have gaethe vs oliveira for title fight. 

11/25/20 1:27 PM
4/5/10

Khabib makes 5-10 million a fight plus sponsorships he ain’t retiring until he can literally buy DAGESTAN 

11/25/20 1:46 PM
9/20/19

I wish he had a less French sounding name tbh. 

11/25/20 1:50 PM
3/15/10

No, no, and no.

Nice try Dustin.

IF Khabib doesn’t do that last fight then Poirier’s next fight could be a title fight if he wins this one.

Fuck right off with asking for McGrgegor to be a title fight.

11/25/20 2:01 PM
7/28/02

might as well

11/25/20 2:12 PM
2/17/03

It's honestly unclear who is the most deserving at LW.

-If you want people coming off wins, Dustin just beat Hooker, Chandler just beat Benson, and Olivera just beat Lee. But, those aren't marquee wins IMO. They are solid.

-Gaethje and Conor got dominated by Khabib, but their previous wins were all-time great performances (Eddie and Tony).

-Tony is the most accomplished, but just got smashed by Justin.

11/25/20 2:12 PM
7/10/02

Dustin vs Conor could be for the next SHOT at the title. But no, not for the title.

As for Khabib, he publicly said he retired so his belt should be up for grabs. If he comes back, OF COURSE he could compete right away for it. But nope, it isn't his anymore.

11/25/20 2:19 PM
10/6/02
If Dustin would be beat Conor it would be boring to have him matched with Kahbib.

But I would like to see the Conor rematch. An opportunity for Kahbib to shut him up permanently. I don't know why he wouldn't want this.

11/25/20 4:07 PM
1/9/20
wiggum -

-If you want people coming off wins, Dustin just beat Hooker, Chandler just beat Benson, and Olivera just beat Lee. But, those aren't marquee wins IMO. They are solid.

-Gaethje and Conor got dominated by Khabib, but their previous wins were all-time great performances (Eddie and Tony).

If khabib is gone a tourney between top guys is the only thing that could make sense but they dont want it to be fair. They dont really care. The biggest draw gets the chance. They just want to make money. The ufc doesnt care if the best fighter gets the belt. Those days are long gone. 

11/25/20 4:28 PM
8/26/11

Khabib said he was retired. The belt should be on the line. Simple as that.  

11/25/20 4:34 PM
10/9/10
OG 12er -

He's trying to score a title out of this... Fuck no. What if he loses? Then we have to listen to Conor again? Naw I'm good. 

Of course he’s trying to get the belt, do you blame him? 

11/25/20 5:12 PM
8/5/17
Kimbos Lice -

Khabib said he was retired. The belt should be on the line. Simple as that.  

Is there not some paperwork to make it official, if you’re under contract? Especially if you’re the champ. Words are one thing, but I would think there must be a process. He’s still in the testing pool. If he floats like this for too long, passes on offered fights, etc, without making retirement official.. then I guess UFC would strip him.

11/25/20 5:14 PM
2/2/05

It’s a good a fight for the “vacant” strap were gonna get imo. 

does it matter that much? Connor likely dismantles dustin again, then he has to fight the winner of the other “bracket”. 

if he’s still champ after that he deserves it anyways. 

11/25/20 5:44 PM
8/5/17

Oh shit where’s my tinfoil? What if Khabib is waiting until after Conor fights again before he makes retirement fully official. Just to make Conor need an extra fight to take the title back.

11/25/20 7:40 PM
1/1/01

They've all lost recently. Porier, justin, Tony.
Tony should get the shot, but justin beat him, so justin? But Dustin beat him.
Dustins only recently loss is Khabib but it was bad. An he has a loss to conor.

And the idea that conor should get the shot makes zero sense.
Isn't he like 1-1 at 155? & when was the last time he even won a fight at 155?
I realize he's famous but even fans can't justify that.
The one MOST qualified of all listed is Tony who has only the 1 blemish in years.
And whod been ranked with only Khabib for a long time.

And who else?
I'll say none of the above.
They've all mostly faced each other & boxed out the lesser known guys who've actually been winning.
It's hard to say who it should be but clearly not conor and most likely
Not Dustin.
I think the fairest choice would be Tony Vs Charles.
That's just me

11/25/20 7:53 PM
2/17/03
Bare Spoon - 
wiggum -

If khabib is gone a tourney between top guys is the only thing that could make sense but they dont want it to be fair. They dont really care. The biggest draw gets the chance. They just want to make money. The ufc doesnt care if the best fighter gets the belt. Those days are long gone. 

Agreed.

11/25/20 7:53 PM
2/17/03
Bill Mahoney - 

The one MOST qualified of all listed is Tony who has only the 1 blemish in years.

And who else?
They've all mostly faced each other & boxed out the lesser known guys who've actually been winning.
Not Dustin.
That's just me

Like Bare Spoon said, I think the only fair option is a tournament.

11/25/20 8:13 PM
8/5/17
Bill Mahoney -

And who else?
Not Dustin.
That's just me

This plz

11/25/20 8:14 PM
8/5/17
wiggum -
Bill Mahoney - 

And who else?
Not Dustin.
That's just me

Like Bare Spoon said, I think the only fair option is a tournament.

Sure, that would be perfect. Really don’t think that’s gonna happen tho.

11/25/20 8:49 PM
8/24/02
HillboFrateTrane -

I wish he had a less French sounding name tbh. 

Well he is from Louisiana dumbass. 

11/26/20 2:23 AM
6/18/16
OG 12er -

Exactly 

11/26/20 2:24 AM
6/18/16
wiggum -

Cowboy is who Conor fought last. Either way he dominated.