UnderGround Forums Poirier is a pain in the ass

30 days ago
6/2/04
Before I rant...he seems like a GREAT guy in real life.

However, if I'm the UFC, I can't stand the fucking guy. He's talking now about what he's earned, but that's nothing new, he's been doing this for years. He's turned down fights over $ at least 3 times that I can remember, is almost always complaining about his contract, and now that he beat Conor (and looked great) he's talking about who he's fighting next.

He guarantees it won't be Chandler, because he hasn't earned it...he went on to say beating a guy he already beat that was coming off a loss isn't all that impressive, and says it should be Oliveira, Conor or Nate Diaz...because, you know...Conor and Nate have been super active and crushing it lately.

Nate has fought twice in the last 4 years, and has gone 1-1, losing badly to Masvidal in his most recent fight. His win is over Pettis, who hasn't exactly looked amazing lately.

In that same 4 year window, Conor has gone 1-2 getting stopped twice. His win was over Cowboy a year ago, and he lost his last 4 fights before the draw with Nico Price...and within 9 months of fighting Conor, Dana was pushing Cowboy to retire.

So...Chandler isn't impressive because he "only" beat a guy coming off a loss in the UFC, but Conor and Nate who are actually coming off a loss themselves, and haven't beaten anyone in a while...they've earned it.

Just fucking say it, don't be full of shit about it. If you don't want to fight the toughest guys in the division and only want to fight whichever guys will make you the most $, just fucking say it. Don't talk about "he hasn't earned it" or "It doesn't make me excited" etc.

As for Oliveira...yeah, he's in the mix, but he has one win over a guy currently in the UFC's top 10, and the guy he beat was coming off an UGLY loss.

If you think Oliveira deserves it because he's on a big winning streak, just fucking say that...but to act like Chandler isn't worthy, and guarantee you won't be fighting him? Fuck off with that.

The UFC is clearly annoyed with Oliveira right now, because he's turned down 2 fights since beating Tony...Chandler last weekend, and Gaethje. Both Oliveira and Poirier are over playing their hand here, and could wind up on the outside looking in.

Dana doesn't like to be told who he needs to put in title fights, especially when the guy isn't even the fucking champ yet. It wouldn't shock me if we end up with Chandler vs Gaethje for the belt while Dustin and Charles sit on the sidelines making demands.
30 days ago
4/21/06

UFC 257: Dustin Poirier knocks out Conor McGregor in second round | Uae-sport – Gulf News

30 days ago
3/15/10

I agree.

He has been rather annoying and demanding when it comes to fights lately.

Whatever he feels he needs to do to make the most money for himself but it would be nice if he fought without so many complaints or attempts at cherry picking.

30 days ago
2/9/09

He actually has a point though. Oliveira should be ahead of Chandler. If Poirier didn't get a titleshot after beating Hooker (who was on a winning streak) why should Chandler get one from beating a guy who's on a losing streak?

He wants Oliveira or winner of Chandler vs Oliveira, I see nothing wrong with that

30 days ago
8/15/07
The idea that fighters can turn down fight is just dumb. You think a football team gets to determine what other teams they face? You think Federer and Nadal get to decide who they face in a tournament?

Your employer calls you, tells you that you have a fight on this date against this person. You take it or find another job.
30 days ago
1/6/10
Rickmassmma - Before I rant...he seems like a GREAT guy in real life.

However, if I'm the UFC, I can't stand the fucking guy. He's talking now about what he's earned, but that's nothing new, he's been doing this for years. He's turned down fights over $ at least 3 times that I can remember, is almost always complaining about his contract, and now that he beat Conor (and looked great) he's talking about who he's fighting next.

He guarantees it won't be Chandler, because he hasn't earned it...he went on to say beating a guy he already beat that was coming off a loss isn't all that impressive, and says it should be Oliveira, Conor or Nate Diaz...because, you know...Conor and Nate have been super active and crushing it lately.

Nate has fought twice in the last 4 years, and has gone 1-1, losing badly to Masvidal in his most recent fight. His win is over Pettis, who hasn't exactly looked amazing lately.

In that same 4 year window, Conor has gone 1-2 getting stopped twice. His win was over Cowboy a year ago, and he lost his last 4 fights before the draw with Nico Price...and within 9 months of fighting Conor, Dana was pushing Cowboy to retire.

So...Chandler isn't impressive because he "only" beat a guy coming off a loss in the UFC, but Conor and Nate who are actually coming off a loss themselves, and haven't beaten anyone in a while...they've earned it.

Just fucking say it, don't be full of shit about it. If you don't want to fight the toughest guys in the division and only want to fight whichever guys will make you the most $, just fucking say it. Don't talk about "he hasn't earned it" or "It doesn't make me excited" etc.

As for Oliveira...yeah, he's in the mix, but he has one win over a guy currently in the UFC's top 10, and the guy he beat was coming off an UGLY loss.

If you think Oliveira deserves it because he's on a big winning streak, just fucking say that...but to act like Chandler isn't worthy, and guarantee you won't be fighting him? Fuck off with that.

The UFC is clearly annoyed with Oliveira right now, because he's turned down 2 fights since beating Tony...Chandler last weekend, and Gaethje. Both Oliveira and Poirier are over playing their hand here, and could wind up on the outside looking in.

Dana doesn't like to be told who he needs to put in title fights, especially when the guy isn't even the fucking champ yet. It wouldn't shock me if we end up with Chandler vs Gaethje for the belt while Dustin and Charles sit on the sidelines making demands.

Short answer he's making hay while the sun shines. He sees that his window will allow him to fight the money fights which he's earned and it's basically what most fighters with half a brain realise. 

30 days ago
4/21/12

Poirier vs. Charles is the correct fight to make for the vacant belt.

But Poirier vs. Chandler is the fight that will sell PPVs. Poirier destroyed the PPV King, and Chandler killed it on the mic and in his backflip celebration after his debut fight and is a star in the making. 

Dana is probably jizzing like mad right now, looking forward to the $ signs at LW and knowing that Conor probably still has some PPV value for a totally meaningless "trilogy" fight against an unranked Nate Diaz. 

Edited: 30 days ago
11/8/08

You sound like a mark. 

He's playing the game by promoting himself exactly how Chael Sonnen recommend. Take a little pro wrestling schtick, call somebody out giving the who, where, when and why (Nate, Conor and Khabib), and use the post fight speech to line up your next fight. It obviously worked because you're all triggered just like a wwe fan. Lol. God forbid the man try to promote and put himself over. 

30 days ago
10/9/10

I see your point. I could be wrong, but I don’t think Dustin doesn’t want to fight the toughest guys in the division. If you wanted to make an argument that he doesn’t want the toughest fights, then you’d have to look at his record. Tony is really the only guy in the top 5 that Dustin hasn’t fought (outside of Charles who just entered the top 5). 

I think he really believes that a win over Hooker (who Dustin beat) isn’t enough for a title shot. While Chandler looked great, I tend to agree with Dustin there. Hooker was already coming off a loss. In terms of Oliveira, to me it seemed clear in the post fight presser that Dustin was more willing to fight him than anyone else. He thinks he’s the most deserving. There’s another thread on that. At the same time I disagree with his assessment of Conor and Nate, but I think that he just doesn’t like Nate and wants to fight him. I think he’s also saying skill wise, that Conor is right there at the top, but not that he should fight for a belt. 

In terms of his pay and negotiations, yeah I agree it’s annoying. However if anyone does it, I’d rather it be a guy like Dustin. A long time UFC veteran who’s fought the very best over a long period of time. A guy who’s known for exciting fights, lots of finishes, and has been in the top 5-10 for several years across two weight It’s definitely annoying having to wait for whatever he decides and it seems like he’s always renegotiating (I’ve complained about it before), but ultimately I think he’s doing what he should do, and what others should be doing. 

He sets a good example for younger fighters to maximize their value. Of course there is always the chance of pricing yourself out and losing opportunities, but Dustin hasn’t gone down the road of a Diaz or Colby to where he’s just not fighting for long periods of time. I think he’s concerned with a few things: 

1. Does this fight make sense (coming off a win?, ranking, name, etc) 

2. Does this get me closer to the belt (some overlap with number 1)

3. How can I maximize my financial benefits from the UFC 

Its annoying in the short term but I definitely don’t blame him for it. It’s smart. If he was inactive for long periods of time, I would be complaining about it way more. Like he said in the post fight, I feel like he’s just the champ at this point. Khabib is retired and BLAF admitted that he’s the one holding up the division. Dustin vs Poirier (whether you agree that Conor should have gotten the opportunity or not) should have been for the belt. Now we have a situation where we have 5-6 guys who could all be champ, a possible vacated title, and no title fight scheduled. BLAF did not handle this the right way at all. 

30 days ago
4/11/10
Soul Gravy - The idea that fighters can turn down fight is just dumb. You think a football team gets to determine what other teams they face? You think Federer and Nadal get to decide who they face in a tournament?

Your employer calls you, tells you that you have a fight on this date against this person. You take it or find another job.

Must agree

10/24/03
Dead President -
Soul Gravy - The idea that fighters can turn down fight is just dumb. You think a football team gets to determine what other teams they face? You think Federer and Nadal get to decide who they face in a tournament?

Must agree

Want to know the difference between fighters and the athletes you mentioned? Many, many, many more ZEROS on that pay check.

Pay fighters that Federer/Nadal money and let's see who turns down fights. 

30 days ago
10/24/03
The Sauce -
Dead President -

Must agree

Want to know the difference between fighters and the athletes you mentioned? Many, many, many more ZEROS on that pay check.

Pay fighters that Federer/Nadal money and let's see who turns down fights. 

Oh and not to forget - tennis players don't get punched/kneed/elbowed/kicked in the face.... 

30 days ago
1/1/01

It’s all about the Benjamins. Don’t you want to earn the most that you can? If he’s strategizing on how to earn the biggest paycheck, good on him. Chandler is not known by the casuals in general at this point. Go ask your casual fan friends about Chandler and see what they say. Not one of my casual fan friends knew who he was before Saturday.

30 days ago
10/9/10

This is just a terrible argument for SO many reasons. Always has and always will be...

30 days ago
5/13/05

Poirier's resume at this point is second to none. He wants to fight guys who have been in the UFC for awhile who he has had prior history with. The issue with Chandler is that the current guys feel he hasn't been paying his dues in the UFC while they have all had to round robin each other for years. 

30 days ago
7/12/14

Lol at you jock diesels criticizing Poirier when it's his career. He's not a company employee, he's a contractor so he NEEDS to speak up and try and make the best moves for himself. Other fighters get applauded for elevating their career and speaking out....

30 days ago
6/2/04
Bend The Knee - 

He actually has a point though. Oliveira should be ahead of Chandler. If Poirier didn't get a titleshot after beating Hooker (who was on a winning streak) why should Chandler get one from beating a guy who's on a losing streak?

He wants Oliveira or winner of Chandler vs Oliveira, I see nothing wrong with that

He didn't get a title fight coming off Hooker because he lost a title fight immediately before that. If Khabib was retired at that point, he probably would have gotten a title shot coming off that win. Obviously the pecking order is very different now that the belt is soon to be vacant.

30 days ago
8/26/05
Give him a break

The guy just wants a big money fight - why not?
30 days ago
6/2/04
InspiritMick - 

Short answer he's making hay while the sun shines. He sees that his window will allow him to fight the money fights which he's earned and it's basically what most fighters with half a brain realise. 

And if that's what he wants, he should 100% do that...but don't act as if it's something different than it is. Don't make it about not doing enough to earn a title shot, then say you want Nate Diaz.

30 days ago
6/2/04
JoeHurley - 

You sound like a mark. 

He's playing the game by promoting himself exactly how Chael Sonnen recommend. Take a little pro wrestling schtick, call somebody out giving the who, where, when and why (Nate, Conor and Khabib), and use the post fight speech to line up your next fight. It obviously worked because you're all triggered just like a wwe fan. Lol. God forbid the man try to promote and put himself over. 

Dustin has done about as bad of a job promoting himself as I've ever seen. When you consider who he has wins over, and how long he's been a top tier fighter, he should be much more popular than he is.

30 days ago
1/1/01

The idea that a contractor has no right to negotiate with a company baffles me. Especially in this situation. Dustin absolutely should put things like this out publically as fan sentiment will help him in private negotiations for his upcoming fights. IMO Chandler being built up a little before fighting for a title 100% will make a bigger PPV and more $$ for Poirier in the future. And give him more film to study before going in relatively blind to a title fight. 

30 days ago
2/17/03
Dead President - 

Must agree

Football players have collective bargaining and free agency.

30 days ago
2/17/03
big_slacker - 

The idea that a contractor has no right to negotiate with a company baffles me. Especially in this situation. Dustin absolutely should put things like this out publically as fan sentiment will help him in private negotiations for his upcoming fights. IMO Chandler being built up a little before fighting for a title 100% will make a bigger PPV and more $$ for Poirier in the future. And give him more film to study before going in relatively blind to a title fight. 

Yup.

They should either be treated as bonafide independent contractors or bonafide employees.

30 days ago
7/7/10

I’m not a fan when fighters talk about what they deserve and such, having a chip on their shoulder. 

he reminds me of Woodly but not nearly as boring when fighting 

2/9/09
Rickmassmma -
Bend The Knee - 

He didn't get a title fight coming off Hooker because he lost a title fight immediately before that. If Khabib was retired at that point, he probably would have gotten a title shot coming off that win. Obviously the pecking order is very different now that the belt is soon to be vacant.

While that's true,but a brand new guy, beating a guy coming off of a loss shouldn't be getting a title shot. I could see Charles but not Chandler.