UnderGround Forums Rachael Ostovich’s ex-husband sentenced to 4 years

5/16/19 9:55 PM
12/9/13

4 years probation for repeated assault and abuse, WTF???

UFC fighter Rachael Ostovich’s ex-husband Arnold Berdon has been sentenced to four years of probation for his involvement in a November 2018 domestic violence case, per the Associated Press.

The verdict was handed down in a Honolulu court Thursday. Berdon previously pleaded no contest on March 14 to second-degree assault charge, which is considered a conviction. However, the charge is considerably different from the attempted murder charge for which Berdon, also a professional MMA fighter, was initially arrested on Nov. 20, 2018, after allegations arose that Berdon violently assaulted Ostovich and had abused her in the past.

Ostovich testified in court on Thursday, saying “I do have the power to move forward, walking in forgiveness and I have.” She did not ask for additional jail time outside of the two days Berdon served, according to Berdon’s defense attorney Myles Breiner.

Deputy Honolulu prosecuting attorney Robert Rawson was seeking a five-year prison sentence for Berdon.

“This wasn’t a single act, it wasn’t a single punch,” Rawson said. “This was a sustained brutal assault. For nearly 10 minutes, the defendant assaulted the victim while she begged for him to stop.” Portions of the alleged incident had been recorded on a cell phone and were later made public by Hawaii News Now.

In filing for a restraining order, which as granted on Nov. 20, 2018, Ostovich said that Berdon punched her “repeatedly on the head, face, ribs, making me fall to the ground.” She added that she also coughed up blood, vomited, and suffered a cracked orbital. The restraining order was granted and is scheduled to expire on May 19, 2019.

Ostovich also filed for divorce and the divorce decree was filed Wednesday. Full custody of the couple’s six-year-old daughter has been granted to Ostovich, with Berdon to be allowed supervised visits and the possibility of reconsideration of custody after completing anger management and domestic violence intervention courses, per Breiner.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/5/16/18628614/rachael-ostovichs-ex-husband-arnold-berdon-sentenced-to-four-years-probation-domestic-assault-case?utm_campaign=mmafighting&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

5/16/19 10:06 PM
10/6/02
and how many years does War Machine have?
5/16/19 10:06 PM
1/1/01
He's sure gonna be a popular guy on the island
5/16/19 10:08 PM
1/1/01
And why no pics?
Edited: 5/16/19 10:25 PM
7/22/05

5/17/19 8:19 AM
1/1/01

Lucky for him he didn’t help perform an abortion or he might have gotten into real trouble. 

5/19/19 6:30 AM
7/8/06

Unjustified but was a reason for the assault ever shared?

5/19/19 5:48 PM
5/11/05
Mustard Tiger -

Yeah dude is a coward and a bitch

5/19/19 6:04 PM
12/24/10
Mustard Tiger -

Reason? Only one - he is a fucking cunt. Its one thing to restrain a woman who is attacking you  but this guy beat the shit out of this woman. He should be doing time and nothing less. I just hope he is not one of those sick fucks who stalks and winds up trying to kill her. 

5/19/19 10:29 PM
2/8/12
colubrid1 - and how many years does War Machine have?

Repeat offender... how does it work?

5/19/19 11:58 PM
8/20/03

This was huge news when Ostavitch was about to fight and now we haven't heard anything about her since.

Somehow I feel the press around this event was misused to promote her fight.

5/20/19 12:39 PM
12/14/15

I’d be to busy making love to that to beat her. 

5/20/19 1:45 PM
1/1/01
ducks18 -

Repeat offender or not, this chicken shit's disgusting and brutal violent offense deserves much more than probation. First offense non accident DUI typically gets more jail time than this. He beat the fucking shit out of her. How does it work? Wow man...

5/20/19 1:58 PM
1/1/01
Elias Cepeda - 

Lucky for him he didn’t help perform an abortion or he might have gotten into real trouble. 

Sad, but true.
5/20/19 5:50 PM
3/26/13

Dude looks like a jackoff. Too bad he isn't in prison.

5/20/19 5:51 PM
3/26/13
Elias Cepeda -

Right, because hitting someone is way worse than killing a baby.

5/20/19 6:45 PM
2/8/12
Floppy Divac -
ducks18 -

Repeat offender or not, this chicken shit's disgusting and brutal violent offense deserves much more than probation. First offense non accident DUI typically gets more jail time than this. He beat the fucking shit out of her. How does it work? Wow man...

I was referring to War Machine.  But yes I agree with you, this chicken shit deserves a lot more than probation. 

5/20/19 6:49 PM
1/1/01

Gotcha. Thought you were alright with him getting off with a slap on the wrist. Sorry for unwarranted aggression. Just pissy at my Sharks getting destroyed yesterday I suppose. Hah

5/20/19 8:17 PM
5/15/15
Bigtrain2681 -

I’d be to busy making love to that to beat her. 

He's the living embodiment of out of her league and homie puts his hands on her and walks away with probation. 

5/21/19 1:09 PM
9/1/04
The article states she requested no additional prison time for him. I'm guessing she's making a judgement call on behalf of the baby, since dad can't work to support the baby while he's in prison.

I ran the numbers through the Hawaiian Child Support calculator https://www.alllaw.com/calculators/childsupport/hawaii

To keep things in simple round numbers, I put his net income at 100k, hers at zero, and assumed she paid the family health insurance at $600 a month.

The payments came out to $10,150 a month. If he goes to jail, she might have to give up her UFC career to take care of the baby, if he's out working, her and the baby might have a better life.

It's worth noting that his payments exceed his actual take home pay. This is not unusual for Child Support (although they usually hide it better). You normally end up borrowing money from family and friends to stay out of jail until they are tapped, and than you either find ways to make more more legally, or ironically, you're forced to commit criminal enterprises to stay out of jail.

I'm guessing he'll end up doing more than 4 years before all is said and done, and he'll essentially be a poverty stricken serf doing Double shifts 7 days a week when he is "free" for the next 20 years.

Sounds fairly just, and a better solution for the child and the victim. He also can't pay compensation for her injuries if he's in jail, which I didn't have enough info to calculate.
5/21/19 3:54 PM
1/1/01

Thanks Gannon!!

5/21/19 3:58 PM
1/1/01
grandchampion - 
Mustard Tiger -

Yeah dude is a coward and a bitch

As well as a pathetic little man.
5/21/19 4:23 PM
7/10/09

They'll be back together before the year ends.

5/21/19 4:56 PM
1/26/08
Floppy Divac -

Gotcha. Thought you were alright with him getting off with a slap on the wrist. Sorry for unwarranted aggression. Just pissy at my Sharks getting destroyed yesterday I suppose. Hah

You have no business in the playoffs anyways. Should be Vegas in that spot and you know it. Consider yourself lucky you made it that far w the helps of the refs MULTIPLE times

5/21/19 5:07 PM
1/1/01
GladiatorGannon - The article states she requested no additional prison time for him. I'm guessing she's making a judgement call on behalf of the baby, since dad can't work to support the baby while he's in prison.

I ran the numbers through the Hawaiian Child Support calculator https://www.alllaw.com/calculators/childsupport/hawaii

To keep things in simple round numbers, I put his net income at 100k, hers at zero, and assumed she paid the family health insurance at $600 a month.

The payments came out to $10,150 a month. If he goes to jail, she might have to give up her UFC career to take care of the baby, if he's out working, her and the baby might have a better life.

It's worth noting that his payments exceed his actual take home pay. This is not unusual for Child Support (although they usually hide it better). You normally end up borrowing money from family and friends to stay out of jail until they are tapped, and than you either find ways to make more more legally, or ironically, you're forced to commit criminal enterprises to stay out of jail.

I'm guessing he'll end up doing more than 4 years before all is said and done, and he'll essentially be a poverty stricken serf doing Double shifts 7 days a week when he is "free" for the next 20 years.

Sounds fairly just, and a better solution for the child and the victim. He also can't pay compensation for her injuries if he's in jail, which I didn't have enough info to calculate.

Excellent post Mr. Gannon.