UnderGround Forums Rafael Dos Anjos vs. Kevin Lee

5/18/19 11:06 PM
1/1/01
VFR - 

Can Lee please fade into obscurity now? Never been a fan of his schtick, dude talks a massive game like he's the best fighter on the roster and wants the biggest fights but never backs it up when it matters, barely makes it 2 rounds before being gassed out hard. He is not a main event fighter.

He def has some top notch ability. But he's def got some big holes in his overall game. His combo of wrestling and positional advancement is nearly unparalled imo but RDA showing the skills, experience and cardio to withstand it. A lesser grappler may have gotten RNC'd. I wouldn't sell Lee short but he def has to plug them holes to really be an elite guy.

His striking also looked better tonight against a striker on the level of RDA.
5/18/19 11:08 PM
1/1/01
temp168505 - that mount escape was garbage. honestly, white belt stuff. incredible to see someone in a UFC main event do that ...

lol at judging a professional UFC fighter fighting RDA in a grueling 5 round fight and thinking at that point its about what belt level you're at. He was fucking tired and broke.
5/18/19 11:09 PM
1/1/01
RDA showed he’s on another level and took his share of damage before going in for the kill.

Cool how seasoned fighters can sense the kill. RDA hopped right over for that head arm.
5/18/19 11:09 PM
6/27/18
Wasa-B -
VFR - 

Can Lee please fade into obscurity now? Never been a fan of his schtick, dude talks a massive game like he's the best fighter on the roster and wants the biggest fights but never backs it up when it matters, barely makes it 2 rounds before being gassed out hard. He is not a main event fighter.

He def has some top notch ability. But he's def got some big holes in his overall game. His combo of wrestling and positional advancement is nearly unparalled imo but RDA showing the skills, experience and cardio to withstand it. A lesser grappler may have gotten RNC'd. I wouldn't sell Lee short but he def has to plug them holes to really be an elite guy.

His biggest problem seems to be mental. When he starts getting tired, something in him says "Quit now. You've lost already." It's crazy.

He was looking for a way out tonight.

Edited: 5/18/19 11:21 PM
11/20/05
I don't think so. He took a lot of shots, went through dozens of difficult grappling exchanges, got tired, and lost a takedown that put him in a vulnerable position against a world class fighter. I don't think there was much in the way of intangibles there. He had the energy for one last big move and it didn't work.
Next stage for him is likely a domestic battery arrest.
5/18/19 11:21 PM
1/1/01
solidsnake - RDA showed he’s on another level and took his share of damage before going in for the kill.

Cool how seasoned fighters can sense the kill. RDA hopped right over for that head arm.

My thoughts exactly. RDA did take some decent shots early but weathered it and fought measured to come on strong and sense when the kill was there.
5/18/19 11:22 PM
1/1/01
TequilaYuen - 
Wasa-B -
VFR - 

His biggest problem seems to be mental. When he starts getting tired, something in him says "Quit now. You've lost already." It's crazy.

He was looking for a way out tonight.

I think so. His cardio is obviously not great but his will seems to go with it unfortunately.
5/18/19 11:23 PM
1/1/01
I also enjoyed the grappling exchanges between the BJJ guy who has pretty good MMA wrestling and wrestler who has pretty good MMA BJJ. RDA also had some good knees in the clinch too.
5/18/19 11:25 PM
6/27/18
Wasa-B - I also enjoyed the grappling exchanges between the BJJ guy who has pretty good MMA wrestling and wrestler who has pretty good MMA BJJ. RDA also had some good knees in the clinch too.

"BJJ guy who has pretty good MMA wrestling and wrestler who has pretty good MMA BJJ"

I never thought about it like that, but you just described it perfectly

5/18/19 11:34 PM
4/20/08

So this makes Kevin Lee 1-3 in his last 4, and he almost got ko'd flat in his win that he missed weight. Was this fight at 170? What does Lee even do from here? 

5/18/19 11:36 PM
8/31/10
Non N00B -

So this makes Kevin Lee 1-3 in his last 4, and he almost got ko'd flat in his win that he missed weight. Was this fight at 170? What does Lee even do from here? 

That's a good questions man. He's on his way to UFC gatekeeper purgatory!

5/19/19 12:21 AM
1/1/01

I wanna see a rematch between Lee and Cheisa at 170.

5/19/19 1:01 AM
12/30/02
Wasa-B - 
temp168505 - that mount escape was garbage. honestly, white belt stuff. incredible to see someone in a UFC main event do that ...

lol at judging a professional UFC fighter fighting RDA in a grueling 5 round fight and thinking at that point its about what belt level you're at. He was fucking tired and broke.

it was shitty technique. for that to be his go-to when he's tired shows he has no technique and relies on athleticism.

reminds me of when Brock went into an upside down foetal position against Velasquez. had no idea how to fight off his back

5/19/19 1:07 AM
1/1/01
Floppy Divac - 

Do it for Momma!!!

5/19/19 1:09 AM
1/1/01

"Fatigue makes cowards of us all."

5/19/19 1:13 AM
1/1/01
Samoa -
Floppy Divac - 

Do it for Momma!!!

Lol!! YESSSS!!! And I just think it could be a great fight now with Cheisa seeming much stronger at 170. Maybe it was just Condit, but Mike looked pretty dominant in that win.

5/19/19 1:18 AM
10/16/06

I'm not a fan of his personality but, Lee is a beast who was locked in a cage with another experienced beast and former champ. Nothing but respect for them both, RDA is a world beater. You guys have to keep in mind the level of greatness here. 

5/19/19 1:40 AM
3/12/16

Kevin will be fine. Yea he lost but he gained as well. 

5/19/19 1:46 AM
6/27/18
thetouchofdeath - 

I don't know what Kevin Lee gained. He left lightweight because he lost and kept missing weight.

Now he has lost at welterweight too.

He's 1-3 in his last four fights.

Did he gained experience? I don't think he needs anymore experience losing.

5/19/19 3:16 AM
8/31/10
thetouchofdeath -

Ya, that's a fucked up post. He lost, and nothing but lost!

5/19/19 6:47 AM
1/16/12

Weight cutting doesn’t mean anything if you’re just going to cut weight from a higher weight. Which is what I feel Lee did but not as much weight.

Regardless it takes time for someone like Lee to fill into there 170 pounds bodies. 

Hes a true 155er though. He just needs to diet to keep his weight down & have a small weight cut 

5/19/19 7:56 AM
10/19/12

He did just fight the number 3 ww for his ww debut.  He needs to fight someone around 12

5/19/19 11:39 AM
11/22/05
I think Lee needs a tune-up fight at 170 and definitely needs to improve his cardio if he wants to be a top 10 talent. Dos Anjos was very hungry after coming off losses to the current champ and the #1 contender (Covington).

Aside from the Iaquinta loss, which was a bad loss but at least competitive, he lost to Ferguson and Dos Anjos. Two elite fighters that will probably be in the HOF in the future. It is not as if he is losing to scrubs, he is just being pushed to fight guys who are just a tier above him right now.

The win over Barboza was impressive but that isn't enough to give him a guy like Dos Anjos just after he lost to Iaquinta. Seemed like a strange matchup for his debut at 170.
5/19/19 12:13 PM
2/29/16

Lee likely would have taken a decision if it was a 3 round fight.

5/19/19 12:38 PM
6/27/18
Mandible_Claw - 

Lee likely would have taken a decision if it was a 3 round fight.

Doubtful considering RDA outstruck Lee the first 3 rounds.

Fightmetric shows Lee landed just 2 strikes the entire third round. And he still got outgrappled on the floor.