UnderGround Forums Ralek Gracie - Metamoris - Your Opinion?

3/13/19 8:04 AM
8/20/03
I personally liked the idea of Metamoris but financially it was a mess.
3/13/19 8:06 AM
8/20/03
I don't think that Ralek is the guy to be in charge of this thing because he's not financially savey enough and his association with it would forever taint any event that tries to imitate it or resurrect it.

3/13/19 8:06 AM
8/20/03
It could though be something if done correctly but who should be the one(s) to do it?

3/13/19 8:08 AM
6/20/11

He’s a scrub and should go away, he’s basically saying he needs somebody to give him money so he can run it.

Bad luck you already shit the bed and lets be honest about how exciting bjj is to watch. 

3/13/19 9:22 AM
8/20/03
shaqitup - 

He’s a scrub and should go away, he’s basically saying he needs somebody to give him money so he can run it.

Bad luck you already shit the bed and lets be honest about how exciting bjj is to watch. 

I agree that having him involved in anything with the event would not be good juju, but would the event itself do well do you think if someone else ran something like it?

Maybe merge it with the EBI?
3/13/19 9:33 AM
8/20/03
You know, the UFC could do something here and have it's fighters who wish to compete do something like this where they grapple.

I suspect people would like to see UFC fighters and how they would fare in a grappling only match.
3/13/19 10:12 AM
6/20/11
Captain Canuck -
shaqitup - 

I agree that having him involved in anything with the event would not be good juju, but would the event itself do well do you think if someone else ran something like it?

I think for there to be a chance it has to be a totally new organization with new people running it. Metamoris didn’t pay people, what value is there I’m using a tarnished name that doesn’t follow through on its promises?

3/13/19 10:13 AM
8/20/03
shaqitup - 
Captain Canuck -
shaqitup - 

I think for there to be a chance it has to be a totally new organization with new people running it. Metamoris didn’t pay people, what value is there I’m using a tarnished name that doesn’t follow through on its promises?

Good call.

You'd have to re-brand for sure.

Who though, would be able to pull off such a thing?
3/13/19 10:17 AM
2/6/15
Captain Canuck - You know, the UFC could do something here and have it's fighters who wish to compete do something like this where they grapple.

I suspect people would like to see UFC fighters and how they would fare in a grappling only match.

Fun idea , especially since it would allow fighters to compete vs fighters not in their weight

3/13/19 10:18 AM
12/15/00
There is little to no brand equity in either the Metamoris or Ralek Gracie name at this point (there is recognition, but way too much baggage).

He says he is looking for someone to fund it that has the experience in growing from a small business to a large business...if that person is out there, why would they want to team with him/metamoris?
3/13/19 10:36 AM
12/14/15

Fuck him. If you’re gonna invest in something it should be fuck all to do with that cowboy. 

3/13/19 10:43 AM
8/20/03
WhereIsGoranReljic - 
Captain Canuck - You know, the UFC could do something here and have it's fighters who wish to compete do something like this where they grapple.

Fun idea , especially since it would allow fighters to compete vs fighters not in their weight

Promotional-wise it may be a great idea.

As well you could have more weight classes and no weight cutting and open class grappling.

It would allow for people to see their fave fighters compete and put their brand out more as well as expand fightpass.
3/13/19 10:44 AM
8/20/03
ryanJ - There is little to no brand equity in either the Metamoris or Ralek Gracie name at this point (there is recognition, but way too much baggage).

He says he is looking for someone to fund it that has the experience in growing from a small business to a large business...if that person is out there, why would they want to team with him/metamoris?

Agreed.

Ralek killed the brand.

But the idea itself may be viable for someone else to use.
Edited: 3/13/19 10:45 AM
5/1/14

I went to two of the Metamoris events. M4 and I think 7 where he competed.

4 was awesome, the place was packed, the competitors were great, and it was aot of fun. 7 or whatever number it was, the place was a third full and really lost its appeal. 

Based off of that decline, it needs to not return. I get Ralek wants to make ammends, but doing it this way is not the way to go about it.

3/13/19 10:54 AM
8/20/03
Thrill Hammer - 

4 was awesome, the place was packed, the competitors were great, and it was aot of fun. 7 or whatever number it was, the place was a third full and really lost its appeal. 

Based off of that decline, it needs to not return. I get Ralek wants to make ammends, but doing it this way is not the way to go about it.

Do you think that maybe they should hold it less often? Maybe over saturation was also an issue?
3/13/19 11:13 AM
5/1/14
Captain Canuck -
Thrill Hammer - 

Do you think that maybe they should hold it less often? Maybe over saturation was also an issue?

I think the main issue was guys not getting paid. 7 was almost 3 years after 4 so its not like they were running a lot. I think a sour taste was left in mouths of many people and thays what killed it.

3/13/19 11:20 AM
8/20/03
So let's say that the uFC was to run an event like this.

Who would you like to see grapple who?
3/13/19 11:25 AM
12/15/07
Thrill Hammer -
Captain Canuck -
Thrill Hammer - 

I think the main issue was guys not getting paid. 7 was almost 3 years after 4 so its not like they were running a lot. I think a sour taste was left in mouths of many people and thays what killed it.

Yep. Not paying athletes, his brothers saying they couldn't trust him, etc. Now a couple years later he's learned how to run it if someone gives him money. What's changed, how did he now learn to manage a promotion? It brought popularity at the time but with CJJ/EBI, Polaris, quintet and others filling the void, is it really a better venture now than it was then, I don't think so.

3/13/19 12:52 PM
3/6/07

I love the event. It’s been my favorite of the grappling tournaments. 

3/13/19 12:57 PM
3/18/02

I thought M1 was fucking fantastic.  Loved almost everything about it.  Match ups great, gomps in the gi which I love, great. Venue, solid AF.   The thing looked awesome.  My only complaint was that rener behind the mic made things slant a little too much to the GJJ side of things.  Id rather have seen an unbiased announcer but the event was so good I didnt mind all that much.  

Then M2 happened.  Instead of bringing in more great high level blackbelts that everyone wanted to see, he put his buddy Schaub in, who clearly didnt belong there.  This IMHO was the start of the end.  The criticism was met with response from the gracie clan basically insulting anyone who practiced BJJ but didnt do it at the GJJA.  

Then he stopped paying people.  Then he started doing events in venues that looked like his buddy's basement instead of that awesome venue he first used.  

Edited: 3/13/19 12:57 PM
12/6/11
Captain Canuck - So let's say that the uFC was to run an event like this.

Who would you like to see grapple who?

Maia vs Jacare

Weidman vs Rockhold

Cain vs Jon Jones

3/13/19 1:03 PM
1/1/01

I like Ralek and don't think what happened was his fault.

Hopefully this new luxury music festival thing he's putting together in the Bahamas will turn out to be a big success for him.

3/13/19 1:09 PM
5/1/14

The Schaub thing was definitely stupid. M4 had a lot of killer matchups though. Barnett v. Lister was awesome.  It was Listers first competition loss in like forever. Magalhaes v. Keenan was also cool. It also had Kenflo and Jeff Glover on commentary.  

3/13/19 1:10 PM
5/1/14

Scored this at M4 as well
3/13/19 1:12 PM
5/1/14
shen -

I like Ralek and don't think what happened was his fault.

Hopefully this new luxury music festival thing he's putting together in the Bahamas will turn out to be a big success for him.

In regards to Ralek, i met him in Palm Springs a few years back. He was sitting on a barstool next to me. At first he seemed like a total dickhead. Eventually his friends kinda took off and he got super down to earth abd was actually pretty cool.