UnderGround Forums Ready to Call It a UFC PPV COLLAPSE Yet?

12/19/14 8:43 PM
9/21/11
Ufc has changed. They no longer rely on just ppv events. Mid 2011 they signed the big fox deal worth over $100 million per year for the ufc. So many people are getting to see several fights without having to pay a ppv fee. Those free TV fights were very rare before the Fox deal. Phone Post 3.0
12/19/14 9:18 PM
8/17/08
shaqitup - 
MMALOGIC - 
thatonedude - 
MMALOGIC - 
shaqitup - 
MMALOGIC - 

It's called a transition.

You cant enjoy both ppv profits and sports rights (and/or subscription fees)   There is a transition going on right now.

PPV numbers will rebound this year but will not likely be back to 2013 levels. Either you maximize sports rights fees/subscription fees or you maximize ppv.  You cant do both.

when you say subscription fee are you talking about their online service that nobody paid for?

Im talking about the UFC network in mexico which is a 24 hour UFC subscription network.

could you fill me in I genuinely don't know, but Mexico counts towards the ppv buy rate when they give those numbers? I always thought that was just the US.

Zuffa has a 24 hour spanish language subscription network that launched in mexico and launching in every other spanish speaking country. it costs around 12.95 to 14.95/mo and you get everything (ppv's, fight nightts, tuf, etc...)

There is no ppv in mexico so they count in the ppv numers.  USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand are ppv countries.

PPV will likely go away and be replaced by sports rights fees within the next 5 years.

So how would a subscription based system in Mexico possibly affect the ppv numbers in the US and Canada.

Are Aus and NZ really PPV? and if so i doubt they're counted or even close to the same price.

Who is paying $65 to watch a PPV event at 10 am.

my point is you cant have both... you have subscription in mexico so you cant really do ppv.

In the United States Zuffa has one foot in and one foot out... you cant enjoy both sports rights fees and ppv.  You have to pick one and maximize it.  The UFC was just initiated into the sports rights fee "club" so it's going through a transition.  

PPV is just a placeholder for now.

12/19/14 9:21 PM
1/1/01
"12.95 to 14.95/mo and you get everything (ppv's, fight nightts, tuf, etc...)"

Must be nice!

Can't wait until we move off PPV.
12/19/14 9:22 PM
1/15/09
Don't they intend to get away from a PPV Model anyway? Phone Post 3.0
12/19/14 9:22 PM
1/1/01
MMALOGIC - 

You cant enjoy both ppv profits and sports rights (and/or subscription fees)   There is a transition going on right now.

PPV numbers will rebound this year but will not likely be back to 2013 levels. Either you maximize sports rights fees/subscription fees or you maximize ppv.  You cant do both.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is what you call a

tap dance

12/19/14 10:00 PM
11/19/13
Are Dutch and Logic the same person? Phone Post 3.0
12/19/14 10:06 PM
11/24/11
hope this leads to a cheap WWE Network PPV type of deal. $30 a month would be worth a ppv/fightpassevent/UFCfightlibrary but have no clue if that would make ends meet on UFC's part due to being total different business than WWE
12/19/14 10:30 PM
11/1/03
epwar - 

Dana insulting their biggest PPV draw certainly didn't help.

What did Dana say about Mighty Mouse?
12/19/14 10:33 PM
12/21/12
ranier wolfcastle - 

more events, including free ones are the cause

theyd see higher buy rates per event if they did only 3 ppvs per year and nothing free

but i think theyre making more $ overall with the current method

False.

They are making less on PPV than they ever have (in the modern era).
12/19/14 10:34 PM
11/11/09
MMALOGIC -
thatonedude - 
MMALOGIC - 
shaqitup - 
MMALOGIC - 

when you say subscription fee are you talking about their online service that nobody paid for?

Im talking about the UFC network in mexico which is a 24 hour UFC subscription network.

could you fill me in I genuinely don't know, but Mexico counts towards the ppv buy rate when they give those numbers? I always thought that was just the US.

Zuffa has a 24 hour spanish language subscription network that launched in mexico and launching in every other spanish speaking country. it costs around 12.95 to 14.95/mo and you get everything (ppv's, fight nightts, tuf, etc...)

There is no ppv in mexico so they count in the ppv numers.  USA, Canada, Australia and New Zealand are ppv countries.

PPV will likely go away and be replaced by sports rights fees within the next 5 years.

Wonder if this is possible to exploit from the US through a VPN ala Netflix /Hola unblocker. Phone Post 3.0
12/19/14 10:37 PM
12/21/12
MMALOGIC - 
thatonedude - 
MMALOGIC - 
shaqitup - 
MMALOGIC - 

And this right here is why I support streaming and downloading UFC pay-per-views.

A rich Mexican can get everything for $12.95 and a poor Canadian needs to pay $70 or more.

What a joke.
12/19/14 11:53 PM
2/28/07
Sloppy Single Leg - UFC Prolapse IMO

When I found out what that looked like over ten years ago (thanks again internet)...it was not a good day...
12/19/14 11:58 PM
1/26/08
ISuckDosBalls - Are Dutch and Logic the same person? Phone Post 3.0
Nope, just two smart guys who like to make fun of the idiots on the UG.

Reminder if you don't have fight pass, buy it now to watch two great prelim fights tomorrow. It also makes a great Xmas gift for a loved one and it's only $9.99! Phone Post 3.0
12/20/14 12:00 AM
2/28/07
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much - Next year will be huge improvement over this year in PPV numbers.

Cormier vs Jones

Silva vs Diaz

Weidman vs Belfort
Ronda vs Zingano

Lawler vs Hendricks III

Cain vs Werdum

CM Pubk debut

All signs also point to GSP and Brock returns

Should be a big rebound in PPV sales, 2014 was shitty with all the injuries and Brock/GSP leaving.

Let's bump this thread next January and talk.

Good news is all PPVs should get purchased by fox or whoever does the new TV deal within 5 years s it won't matter. Sorry Haulport, UFC isn't going away, only going to get bigger. Phone Post 3.0

The UFC has contract massively. It's not bigger. Putting on more shows is meaningless because they have less revenues and MORE overhead. That is a recipe for disaster and this data proves it. You match the fact that PPVs were down 47.5% y/y to Moody's report of earnings being down 40%... Well I see a rather POWERFUL correlation between Earnings and PPVs right there and that could indicate that 2014 was their WORST year PERIOD since TUF debuted. hat correlation also pretty much negates MMALOGIC's first bullshit post about "transition year". Moody's was talking about overall earnings and the biggest impact on that was declining PPVs so I see zero reason to believe that their poorly rated, terribly fatigued shows are doing anything but barely making up for the 2011, 201 & 2013 declines and just barely kept them afloat in 2014.

That ain't bigger...
12/20/14 12:01 AM
2/28/07
RJJH - 

I got you OP.

Thanks man!

And you too BIrdwatcher
12/20/14 12:03 AM
2/28/07
Shy Guy - 
Haulport - Ugh. this is so retarded that you need a blue name to post a pic on a forum for Christ's sake...

At least the site is reliable.

Heh.

LOL!

That, along with a few other issues, is why I have never purchased a bluename and only received them as gifts.
12/20/14 12:04 AM
2/28/07
Hong Kong Phooey - 

I never whine about Port threads yet i did stay in a holiday in last night

Watch out for the bedbugs!
12/20/14 12:37 AM
11/18/11
Who'll be the last English speaking UFC fan? I've been thinking about this lately. The day might not be far off. It seems to be trending in the direction of brecoming a Latin American niche sport like bullfighting, cockfighting, etc right now.
12/20/14 12:43 AM
1/26/08
thatonedude - 
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much - Next year will be huge improvement over this year in PPV numbers.

Cormier vs Jones

Silva vs Diaz

Weidman vs Belfort
Ronda vs Zingano

Lawler vs Hendricks III

Cain vs Werdum

CM Pubk debut

Should be a big rebound in PPV sales, 2014 was shitty with all the injuries and Brock/GSP leaving.

Good news is all PPVs should get purchased by fox or whoever does the new TV deal within 5 years s it won't matter. Sorry Haulport, UFC isn't going away, only going to get bigger. Phone Post 3.0

they do give you talking points! I knew it

Nope, just pointing out the facts.

If anyone really thinks UFC PPV is dying and wants to make a bet, I'll bet any blue name or long time UG poster that the UFC sells more PPVs in 2015 then they did 2014. Any takers?
12/20/14 12:56 AM
1/26/08
Haulport - 

Cormier vs Jones

Silva vs Diaz

Weidman vs Belfort
Ronda vs Zingano

Lawler vs Hendricks III

Cain vs Werdum

CM Pubk debut

The UFC has contract massively. It's not bigger. Putting on more shows is meaningless because they have less revenues and MORE overhead. That is a recipe for disaster and this data proves it. You match the fact that PPVs were down 47.5% y/y to Moody's report of earnings being down 40%... Well I see a rather POWERFUL correlation between Earnings and PPVs right there and that could indicate that 2014 was their WORST year PERIOD since TUF debuted. hat correlation also pretty much negates MMALOGIC's first bullshit post about "transition year". Moody's was talking about overall earnings and the biggest impact on that was declining PPVs so I see zero reason to believe that their poorly rated, terribly fatigued shows are doing anything but barely making up for the 2011, 201 & 2013 declines and just barely kept them afloat in 2014.

That ain't bigger...

Revenue will be up in 2015.

Also, once they leave the PPV model they will get more money from whoever the TV broadcast partner is at that time. Guessing Fox or ESPN. So yes it is a transition year like Logic said, they are moving away from PPV but should stack cards next year if everyone stays healthy. This will drive up the PPV sales in 2015 and give Zuffa the ability to ask more money to move the PPVs to Fox if Fox wants to buy them soon.

Plus more international TV deals will increase revenue.

Like I said, Zuffa is getting bigger, not smaller.
12/20/14 1:37 AM
11/18/11
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much - 
thatonedude - 

Cormier vs Jones

Silva vs Diaz

Weidman vs Belfort
Ronda vs Zingano

Lawler vs Hendricks III

Cain vs Werdum

CM Pubk debut

If anyone really thinks UFC PPV is dying and wants to make a bet, I'll bet any blue name or long time UG poster that the UFC sells more PPVs in 2015 then they did 2014. Any takers?

Sure I'll bet you a funny name change if you like. I see the whole industry cratering in North America. We`re talking about North American ppv buys increasing, is that right?
12/20/14 1:47 AM
2/28/07
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much - 
Haulport - 

Cormier vs Jones

Silva vs Diaz

Weidman vs Belfort
Ronda vs Zingano

Lawler vs Hendricks III

Cain vs Werdum

CM Pubk debut

That ain't bigger...

Revenue will be up in 2015.

Also, once they leave the PPV model they will get more money from whoever the TV broadcast partner is at that time. Guessing Fox or ESPN. So yes it is a transition year like Logic said, they are moving away from PPV but should stack cards next year if everyone stays healthy. This will drive up the PPV sales in 2015 and give Zuffa the ability to ask more money to move the PPVs to Fox if Fox wants to buy them soon.

Plus more international TV deals will increase revenue.

Like I said, Zuffa is getting bigger, not smaller.

You and MMALOGIC are the Baghdad Bob's of the UG. The UFC is contracting before everyone's eyes and the two of you are saying 2015 is going to be great, LOL!

You realize they lost HALF their PPV buys from 2013 to 2014, right?

HALF

That resulted in a 40% hit to earnings. Which is pretty close to HALF their earnings. If they DOUBLED their 2014 PPV buys and they'd only be back to 203 levels. Zuffa is a mess and they deserve every bit of it. I expect a 15% increase in PPV buys for 2015 and then a 30% drop for 2016 unless something crazy big happens for them.
12/20/14 1:51 AM
2/28/07
Megatherium - Who'll be the last English speaking UFC fan? I've been thinking about this lately. The day might not be far off. It seems to be trending in the direction of brecoming a Latin American niche sport like bullfighting, cockfighting, etc right now.

Hahahahahahahaha. Freakin' hilarious...!
12/20/14 1:54 AM
12/30/09
Haulport doesn't understand that the Ufc makes over half their money off non ppv Phone Post 3.0
12/20/14 1:55 AM
12/30/09
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much -
thatonedude - 

Cormier vs Jones

Silva vs Diaz

Weidman vs Belfort
Ronda vs Zingano

Lawler vs Hendricks III

Cain vs Werdum

CM Pubk debut

I'm down Phone Post 3.0