UnderGround Forums Reebok Deal nearing the end

8/17/19 4:25 AM
1/23/06

2020 is the final year of the deal right?

Time to sign with Under Armour, Nike or Yeezy.

https://www.mmamania.com/2019/1/13/18180902/ufcs-reebok-deal-blamed-for-hurting-the-brazilian-mma-scene

”The Reebok deal hurt the Brazilian MMA scene and killed many brands,” Saldanha said. “Tapout, Venum, those brands were way stronger. They cut investment because the UFC would give them exposure and national promotions would reinforce the brand, but that can’t happen anymore. I thought they would invest in the national promotions (after the Reebok deal), but they haven’t.”

”It was okay in 2016, but it got really complicated in 2017,” he said. “Sponsors were almost gone, people weren’t buying tickets. I’d take the risk many times because I knew I would be able to sell 2,000 tickets in a gymnasium, but it’s hard nowadays. You can’t risk that much if you don’t have sponsors, or you’re screwed. You do it knowing that you’ll lose money, or don’t do it at all.”

Nova Uniao coach and Shooto promoter Andre Pederneiras confirmed that the UFC-Reebok deal had “a huge impact” on the Brazilian MMA scene. Aspera FC promoter Marcelo Brigadeiro also agreed with that assessment but also blamed the faltering Brazilian economy, which experienced a crisis from 2014 to 2016 that it never really recovered from at all.

8/17/19 4:56 AM
11/26/16

Finally.. fighters need to figure out how now to get screwed this time..

Maybe these managers should actually look out for their clients 

Edited: 8/17/19 5:01 AM
6/21/07
wrong place
8/17/19 5:02 AM
8/22/14

This is what's really fucked..

The Reebok deal was a fuck in the ass to fighters from the jump ? I hope we can all agree on that .

Reebok isn't seeing the return they would have hoped for, im assuming we can all agree on that too.

When the ufc signs another sponsor/ or the same,  it's going to be at a far lower price. 

How fucked are the fighters going to be then.

They're killing the sport. 

1) making less incentive for people to take up the sport. 

2) independent sponsors had a vested interest in promoting the sport outside the ring sponsorship.

3) The obvious- individually ! ( which mma is all about) is lost- hence lack of stars that have a way of standing out .

Personally i cant wait to sit back and see the biggest brown nosers come out and say how good the new deal is . Even though it will be clearly worse for everyone.   Im going to find that amusing. 

8/17/19 5:08 AM
1/23/06
bungee up - 

The Reebok deal was a fuck in the ass to fighters from the jump ? I hope we can all agree on that .

Reebok isn't seeing the return they would have hoped for, im assuming we can all agree on that too.

When the ufc signs another sponsor/ or the same,  it's going to be at a far lower price. 

2) independent sponsors had a vested interest in promoting the sport outside the ring sponsorship.

3) The obvious- individually ! ( which mma is all about) is lost- hence lack of stars that have a way of standing out .

Personally i cant wait to sit back and see the biggest brown nosers come out and say how good the new deal is . Even though it will be clearly worse for everyone.   Im going to find that amusing. 

Reebok made triple what they paid off of marketing alone. Their brand blasted everywhere.
8/17/19 5:18 AM
12/9/13

UFC just extends the deal and pockets a nice 100 million

8/17/19 5:23 AM
10/8/07

Was a good deal for the ufc and for reebok but obviously shitty for the fighters who were making five or six figures on sponsors before Reebok.

8/17/19 9:29 AM
4/29/07

I don’t know about you guys, but having both fighters where the same brand of shorts really upped the viewing experience for me.  Before the reebok deal I’d be like “What! Those fighters are wearing different brand shorts?” and it would totally take me out of the fights.  I couldn’t even watch them.

And don’t even get me started on walkout tee’s. If I’m paying $70 a PPV, you better believe I wanna see some “fight kits” on these guys when they’re walking to the cage.

8/17/19 9:54 AM
9/24/18

So while everyone shits on the Reebok deal, I do remember hearing interviews of lower level fighters who liked the deal. They didn't have to worry about having to chase up sponsors for their money and really, $2,500 was near enough what novice UFC fighters were getting outside of Reebok anyway. Hopefully they can get a deal with Under Armour or whoever will improve the income for fighters. 

8/17/19 10:32 AM
11/10/18

I really liked having multiple brands. Some sucked, some were great, but it gave fans options of stuff to buy. The Reebok stuff just isn’t good looking stuff. Prior to the Reebok deal I had several T-shirts of different mma brands. I haven’t bought one piece of Reebok gear. 

8/17/19 11:05 AM
8/24/15
Eskimo -

I really liked having multiple brands. Some sucked, some were great, but it gave fans options of stuff to buy. The Reebok stuff just isn’t good looking stuff. Prior to the Reebok deal I had several T-shirts of different mma brands. I haven’t bought one piece of Reebok gear. 

Same here. Reebok definitely didnt sell enough fight kits to cover their investment. 

8/17/19 11:11 AM
8/20/16

Has this deal actually been beneficial to Reebok? People are saying it has, but is there anything to actually substantiate this?

Do we have any facts, is what I'm saying. We know it's been terrible for the fightes and great for the UFC because they got to shaft the fightes. Do we have any numbers or any indicators that Reebok got their money's worth?

8/17/19 12:02 PM
5/11/10

Reebok were absolutley shit from start to finish. I am really hopeing for the individual stuff back again. 

A few of the mishaps I remember:

Mispelling Gilbert Melendez

They thought Jacare was his actual name and that his nicknam was after the footballer

Another mispelling at one of the launches

That time they cut Northern Ireland out of a t shirt

And generally killing off the money fighters were making out on their own sponsers

They made more mistakes but I think we can all agree they were terrible overall.

8/17/19 12:05 PM
7/16/13

I bought one piece of Reebok gear, a rash guard. I wasnt impressed with the quality. Especially in comparison to specialty brands like venum, tatami, etc. 

I'd also like to see the old days of sponsor patches return

8/17/19 2:30 PM
7/8/06

Interested to see what happens!

8/17/19 2:43 PM
7/15/17

I hated the Reebok deal for the fact it took variaty out of the UFC.. guys  use to come out in diffenent shorts and some had back stories on why they wore them..

tiny things like that separated the UFC from major sports in a good way .

..  UFC seemed to go away from the individuals fighting an their back story .. I think it's why the UFC seems more dull now, some fights you can't relate to because you have no story about the two people fighting ..

Edited: 8/17/19 2:50 PM
5/17/08
bungee up -

lol at them not seeing a return. You realize how ridiculously cheap this deal was for them in terms of exposure? Sure people might not be buying "jerseys" but $70 million for 6 years of consistent exposure /marketing is a good deal for them. Most marketing is difficult to measure in terms of direct benefits. Other than some great campaigns, which are the exception, a lot of it just has to do with keeping your name out there. 

But I have a feeling the UFC will want more as they did with Fox, so we'll see what happens. They should go back to the sponsor model but likely won't 

8/17/19 3:08 PM
6/30/07
Thats fukin illegal -

I hated the Reebok deal for the fact it took variaty out of the UFC.. guys  use to come out in diffenent shorts and some had back stories on why they wore them..

tiny things like that separated the UFC from major sports in a good way .

..  UFC seemed to go away from the individuals fighting an their back story .. I think it's why the UFC seems more dull now, some fights you can't relate to because you have no story about the two people fighting ..

Its part of their approach and attempts to take power from the fighters. The mantra for the last 5 years is to promote the company and Dana, not individual fighters.

"The product is not the fighters, it's the UFC itself". Thats also why they try to talk fighters into dropping their management and why they are anti union. They want to control the product and make any fighter replaceable at the drop of a hat.

8/17/19 3:44 PM
7/7/10

Adidas 

8/17/19 3:45 PM
1/23/06
Stea1th - 

Adidas 

owns Reebok
8/17/19 5:09 PM
1/1/01
Stea1th -

Adidas 

This would be dope. Watch russian and eastern european MMA get 10x bigger!

8/17/19 5:12 PM
7/7/10
big_slacker -
Stea1th -

Adidas 

This would be dope. Watch russian and eastern european MMA get 10x bigger!

Yea, I’m surprised how much bigger addidas is in Europe 

8/17/19 5:34 PM
8/22/14
Gullivers Travels -
bungee up -

lol at them not seeing a return. You realize how ridiculously cheap this deal was for them in terms of exposure? Sure people might not be buying "jerseys" but $70 million for 6 years of consistent exposure /marketing is a good deal for them. Most marketing is difficult to measure in terms of direct benefits. Other than some great campaigns, which are the exception, a lot of it just has to do with keeping your name out there. 

But I have a feeling the UFC will want more as they did with Fox, so we'll see what happens. They should go back to the sponsor model but likely won't 

Well in this regard i can agree. 

I actually thought 70 mill over 6 years was cheap at the time.  Now looking back i obviously don't think they made that money back in merch sales. 

When you think about it is Reebok really much bigger now than before the deal. 

I'm not jumping up and down arguing this point. I'm just saying I will be surprised if the ufc gets the same deal they got the first time around or better. 

That was basically peak money ufc when that deal was made.  Im i crazy thinking the number of eyeballs on the sport has taken a pretty steep nosedive since then ?

8/17/19 5:35 PM
4/21/12

Ben Askren was one guy who took a big hit from the Reebok deal.

Back when he was new to the UFC he told MMAFighting.com that he really didn't know how crap the deal was (video below). Excerpt:

“I got put in that damn first bracket,” he added. “I didn’t think about that (when I signed with the UFC). When I thought about it, I probably should have negotiated the Reebok money up ’cause they’re not paying me enough. I think it’s $3,500 only? It’s pretty terrible.”

“Sponsorship’s been all over the place,” he said. “Even when I was a nobody in Bellator, I made $20,000 on a fight. Those were the wild days. Back then, guys in the UFC were making six figures on sponsorship stuff.”

8/17/19 5:40 PM
10/12/13
Bring back Corn Nuts!