UnderGround Forums Remember when Lee was the man to beat Khabib?

5/19/19 12:13 AM
1/1/01

About a year ago, after he beat Barboza, there was this huge hype train on the UG. They all said Kevin Lee was the man to beat Khabib. Then he dropped the fight to Ferg but the hype train continued. They all said Khabib could not handle Lee's pressure and no way Conor could either. They said Ferg was lucky he did not have to fight 100% Lee.

Now, after the Iaquinta and RDA loses, I don't think we will see the "Lee is an invincible monster" crowd around.

I always saw Lee as a solid fighter but never got the worship.

5/19/19 12:15 AM
6/27/18

Who's they? Did multiple people hold this opinion? All I can tell you is I never did.

5/19/19 12:21 AM
1/1/01
TequilaYuen -

Who's they? Did multiple people hold this opinion? All I can tell you is I never did.

Yeah man. After he started talking a lot and beat Chiesa, tons of people started talking like he was the man to beat and it was only a matter of time until he was champ. He had a few fight win streak at that time and everyone had forgotten about the Santos TKO by then.

5/19/19 12:25 AM
2/9/09

I thought he would give Khabib issues, now not at all

5/19/19 12:38 AM
8/14/14

He looked bigger than RDA so I thought he was going to bully him and smash RDA on the ground but it didn’t happen. Kevin’s In tough spot now he needs to take a few fights with guys lower than top 5 and rebuild. 

5/19/19 12:42 AM
3/20/12

no

khabib does what he wants against all

Ferg is interesting

5/19/19 12:57 AM
6/27/02
The Closed Guard -

I thought he would give Khabib issues, now not at all

This. I will man up and admit it as well. The guy passed the eye test for a while there with the Barboza win and first round against T Ferg. It was a glimpse at his potential. But it just doesn’t seem like he is going to get over the hump to the top of a division. He’s an athletic guy who is still really young though so who knows if he’ll rebuild and come back at some point, but as of right now I misjudged his upside. In his defense RDA is still a bad MFer too. 

5/19/19 1:12 AM
2/13/16
TequilaYuen -

Samesies, but i also admit that I’m not sold on khabib and typically look for reasons why others will beat him.  Not lee though.

5/19/19 1:38 AM
9/11/11

Hard to say overall since clearly he was having trouble making 155 and was making his debut at 170 against the established #3 WW in RDA. I like Khabib, but he's had a hard time getting top-flight opposition in the ring with him. Conor was coming off a layoff, Al was on one-days notice, Michael Johnson is Michael Johnson, etc. His best unassailable win is the decision over Edson Barboza.

5/19/19 3:29 AM
8/3/11
BJ Penn Forever -

About a year ago, after he beat Barboza, there was this huge hype train on the UG. They all said Kevin Lee was the man to beat Khabib. Then he dropped the fight to Ferg but the hype train continued. They all said Khabib could not handle Lee's pressure and no way Conor could either. They said Ferg was lucky he did not have to fight 100% Lee.

Now, after the Iaquinta and RDA loses, I don't think we will see the "Lee is an invincible monster" crowd around.

It's not about Lee, it's about Khabib. The guy gets so many haters on here it's ridiculous. Any fighter with one good win in LW division immediately becomes the man to beat Khabib because Khabib has so many holes and that dude will be so good at exposing them. Lately the haters hopped onto Gaethje's schlong because he has a world-level wrestling no one ever saw in the Octagon. 

5/19/19 4:23 AM
11/26/16
touch -
BJ Penn Forever -

It's not about Lee, it's about Khabib. The guy gets so many haters on here it's ridiculous. Any fighter with one good win in LW division immediately becomes the man to beat Khabib because Khabib has so many holes and that dude will be so good at exposing them. Lately the haters hopped onto Gaethje's schlong because he has a world-level wrestling no one ever saw in the Octagon. 

This.. I was never sold on Lee either.

I was surprised some of the UG'ers were completely backing him as the next big thing and there were die hards for him. He never showed that kind of promise

5/19/19 7:45 AM
1/12/05
touch - 
BJ Penn Forever -

This is some motherfucking pravda right here. 

5/19/19 7:50 AM
10/19/14

Never thought that 

5/19/19 11:51 AM
1/1/01

RDA was way too much for him at 170, he should of started with a 10-15 guy imo