UnderGround Forums Rener Gracie pitched to the shark tank

5/16/19 9:33 AM
6/27/18
Jump Kick -
TequilaYuen -
sassen -

There is something I don't like about him. Reckon he has a big secret. Something off putting. 

Not really a secret, but not freely discussed. Rener and his brother Ryron pushed their own father Rorion OUT of the Gracie business.

Rorion started the Gracie Academy in Torrance in 1989. The first Brazilian jiu-jitsu school in North America. As his sons grew and progressed in the art, he was happy to have them take on instructor roles.

This went on for many years. Rener and Ryron - especially Rener - took more and more initiative with the business. The Gracie University website, the combatives curriculum, the online blue belt instruction program, the intense merchandising - that was all Rener.

Still, Rener wanted more: He wanted control of the business. Why stay under his dad's thumb when he was the one really doing all the work and running the show?

A couple years ago, Rener and Ryron made their move: They opened a new location under the name of Gracie University. They took all Gracie Academy's clientele with them. They started a new merchandise line divorced from the name of Gracie Academy.

They gave their father Rorion a choice: He could come with them in a salaried figurehead position. Or he could continue with the Gracie Academy name alone.

Rorion is a prideful man. He didn't want to be under his sons. He took the latter option.

Gracie Academy's original location closed its doors a few months after Gracie University opened.

So now Gracie University is thriving. Rener and Ryron have taken control of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, with no involvement from the father.

And Rorion goes his separate way. How does he feel about it? You won't find any pictures of his adult sons on his social media.

Source?

Seems like a somewhat reasonable thing to do by the brothers.

Like I said, it's not really a secret in the Los Angeles jiu-jitsu scene. I mean, there is no way to hide it, the Gracie Academy location is gone and the new Gracie University location is in full swing.

But it is not discussed.

When the abandoning of Gracie Academy and move to Gracie University was in the works, the student base was understandably confused about what was going on.

Rener and Ryron posted a short video with Rorion in an obvious PR attempt to quell the gossip. "Top secret!" "Enough talking, I'll see you on the mat!"

But since then, you can see for yourself: There have been no appearances of Rorion on any Gracie University content. No mention of him on any Gracie University social media. You will find more pictures of Rener and Ryron's dead grandfather Helio on their instagram than their own father. There is nothing of Rorion.

And vice versa, Rorion refuses to mention or promote Gracie University. He does not wear their merchandise. He does not talk about his sons.

Edited: 5/16/19 10:49 AM
3/13/18

He was fantastic, aside from the jaw clenching but you could see Laurie's brain maxing out, picturing him along side her on QVC pitching this thing.  Might want to rename and trademark them as 'roodies' then he can get all animated on QVC explaining that meaning along with his entire clan.

5/16/19 10:45 AM
1/1/01
Captain Canuck - 

lol. i guess he doesn't shut up on the show. i thought it was exaggerated. it's funny, i think the bald dude (can't remember his name), wanted no one else to do it so he could swoop in and give him a lower rate, but laurie? screwed up his plans.
5/16/19 10:52 AM
11/9/17
TequilaYuen - 
Jump Kick -
TequilaYuen -
sassen -

There is something I don't like about him. Reckon he has a big secret. Something off putting. 

Not really a secret, but not freely discussed. Rener and his brother Ryron pushed their own father Rorion OUT of the Gracie business.

Rorion started the Gracie Academy in Torrance in 1989. The first Brazilian jiu-jitsu school in North America. As his sons grew and progressed in the art, he was happy to have them take on instructor roles.

This went on for many years. Rener and Ryron - especially Rener - took more and more initiative with the business. The Gracie University website, the combatives curriculum, the online blue belt instruction program, the intense merchandising - that was all Rener.

Still, Rener wanted more: He wanted control of the business. Why stay under his dad's thumb when he was the one really doing all the work and running the show?

A couple years ago, Rener and Ryron made their move: They opened a new location under the name of Gracie University. They took all Gracie Academy's clientele with them. They started a new merchandise line divorced from the name of Gracie Academy.

They gave their father Rorion a choice: He could come with them in a salaried figurehead position. Or he could continue with the Gracie Academy name alone.

Rorion is a prideful man. He didn't want to be under his sons. He took the latter option.

Gracie Academy's original location closed its doors a few months after Gracie University opened.

So now Gracie University is thriving. Rener and Ryron have taken control of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, with no involvement from the father.

And Rorion goes his separate way. How does he feel about it? You won't find any pictures of his adult sons on his social media.

Source?

Like I said, it's not really a secret in the Los Angeles jiu-jitsu scene. I mean, there is no way to hide it, the Gracie Academy location is gone and the new Gracie University location is in full swing.

But it is not discussed.

When the abandoning of Gracie Academy and move to Gracie University was in the works, the student base was understandably confused about what was going on.

Rener and Ryron posted a short video with Rorion in an obvious PR attempt to quell the gossip. "Top secret!" "Enough talking, I'll see you on the mat!"

But since then, you can see for yourself: There have been no appearances of Rorion on any Gracie University content. No mention of him on any Gracie University social media. You will find more pictures of Rener and Ryron's dead grandfather Helio on their instagram than their own father. There is nothing of Rorion.

And vice versa, Rorion refuses to mention or promote Gracie University. He does not wear their merchandise. He does not talk about his sons.

Again, like I said...a bullshit artist! His entire demeanor screams bullshit and he is 100% committed to his line of crap for sure.
Edited: 5/16/19 12:08 PM
11/9/10

That's something that's marginally usefull at best in places like california where the temp goes down significantly in the evenings. But hell the snuggie has sold millions of units this could do that.

Edited: 5/16/19 9:40 PM
1/1/01
He even makes juicing sound like its a big process lol
5/16/19 11:25 PM
3/6/07
JOB - He did well but almost fucked it up by talking too much.

Or the exact opposite of what you said happened. 

5/17/19 12:18 AM
1/1/01
I love seeing his sons all grown up and successful. Rorion was the best instructor I ever had. I loved his classes when I trained there at the Gracie Academy in Torrance. I loved the Saturday open matches too.

I think it was 1993 and I was already a man, his sons would sit in on our classes. Rorion would have me do drills with the his sons because I was so much bigger and had a wrestling background. Rorion would tell me to smack the kids on the back or side of the head when we would break. I smacked the shit outta those kids during those drills. That was a long time ago, happy to see the kids all grown up.
5/17/19 12:26 AM
1/1/01
OldSchoolMike - I love seeing his sons all grown up and successful. Rorion was the best instructor I ever had. I loved his classes when I trained there at the Gracie Academy in Torrance. I loved the Saturday open matches too.

I think it was 1993 and I was already a man, his sons would sit in on our classes. Rorion would have me do drills with the his sons because I was so much bigger and had a wrestling background. Rorion would tell me to smack the kids on the back or side of the head when we would break. I smacked the shit outta those kids during those drills. That was a long time ago, happy to see the kids all grown up.

damn, you are old school! Very cool story.
5/17/19 2:00 AM
8/4/12
TequilaYuen -

Rener is such a car salesman. That product is goofy and I can't see it moving big units.

But he is much more successful than me, on his own terms, so who am I to judge.

I just bought one...

5/17/19 6:49 AM
5/14/06
jkd_guy - He even makes juicing sound like its a big process lol

What a Gracie juice bag

5/17/19 7:26 AM
5/9/06

He's not for everyone.  I admire his passion.  

All that family stuff being posted is uncomfortable though.  It's happened in lots of family businesses, and maybe theirs is no different.  Regardless, I like what they have done for JiuJitsu, and really like the bully proof program they created.

Rener killed it on Shark Tank. Lorie will help add to his success

5/17/19 7:47 AM
10/27/03
TequilaYuen -
Jump Kick -
TequilaYuen -
sassen -

Source?

But it is not discussed.

It was discussed here a lot when it first happened.

5/17/19 8:12 AM
1/1/01
Altofsky -

Dude has presence.

A do not call list presence. 

5/17/19 8:20 AM
10/28/16
Captain Canuck - 

fuck why didnt i think of that?!
i want one
5/17/19 8:24 AM
10/28/16
the_decimator - 
TequilaYuen -
sassen -

Rorion is prideful, but he should be proud. They took what he taught them and made something more from it, and gave him an opportunity to keep the same level of involvement as before (minimal), spend time with his sons and yet not have to worry about the money. 

Sometimes dad's are so fucking dumb. 

Rener has always been a freak of nature. Inspirational dude that exudes positivity.

i'd buy a ticket to see that nigga on the ted talk circuit
5/17/19 8:39 AM
7/2/07
TequilaYuen - 
sassen -

Thanks. Unaware of these developments.

Sounds a little off putting but I don't know the details and Rorion had a reputation for controlling the family business etc.

Then there is the thought without Rorion and the gang pulling off those first events/ shows the entire BJJ revolution would have never happened. A lot of Brazilian BJJ folks would still be teaching part time and delivering pizza.
5/17/19 9:39 AM
1/1/01

sounds 70/30 kids fault. 

rorion didn't seem that interested in teaching in the last 10 and the kids were doing most of the teaching. if they offered a large amount and he could act like a figurehead or at least have an input as to what goes into the product, it's reasonable, like a retirement settlement. 

however, the sons shouldn't have set up shop nearby and stolen all the family students.  at least i think royce didn't set up nearby nor rickson when they left. 

5/17/19 10:04 AM
3/16/15
Jump Kick - 
TequilaYuen -
sassen -

Source?

Seems like a scumbag thing to do to your father.

5/17/19 5:35 PM
11/20/09

TequilaYuen -
sassen -

That was a good story.  Very believable.  You almost had me until I decided to research that last claim.  

Image may contain: 18 people

TequilaYuen -
sassen -

5/17/19 5:36 PM
11/20/09

Image may contain: 9 people

5/17/19 5:36 PM
11/20/09

Father's day just a couple years ago....

Image may contain: 8 people, outdoor

5/17/19 5:42 PM
11/20/09

Image may contain: 4 people, people smiling, people sitting

Image may contain: 17 people, people smiling

5/17/19 5:42 PM
11/20/09

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling

5/17/19 5:43 PM
11/20/09

Image may contain: 5 people, people smiling