UnderGround Forums Rener Gracie pitched to the shark tank

5/17/19 5:54 PM
11/20/09

actually Tequila Yeun might be on to something.  

Just found this interview that substantiates his claims plus I believe the pictures I posted were all before Gracie Academy changed to Gracie University

https://youtu.be/v9aV9JNLpDk

5/17/19 5:59 PM
11/20/09

I apologize Tequila you appear to be right

https://www.attacktheback.com/great-gracie-university-scam/

5/17/19 6:16 PM
11/20/09

Yeah seems like something definitely is up

https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/forums/BJJ/Gracie-Torrance-Schism:2664617

5/17/19 6:35 PM
11/20/09

But wait, this video shows Ryon/Renor talking about the upcoming move and Rorion is in the video with them smiling.... 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWyF9rkDOYF/

5/17/19 7:05 PM
6/27/18

Are you intentionally trying to confuse the issue by posting all this unrelated stuff from literally the past 10 years?

Do you have a personal connection with Gracie University or Gracie Academy? Because it feels like you are trying to fuck up the thread on purpose.

5/17/19 7:11 PM
6/27/18
D241 -

But wait, this video shows Ryon/Renor talking about the upcoming move and Rorion is in the video with them smiling.... 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWyF9rkDOYF/

This is the exact same video as the YouTube link I posted on the second page.

As I said, this video was posted as a PR move to quell the gossip. They tried to reframe the split as a simple change of location.

Only it was not just a change of location. It was a schism in the leadership of the business, and between father and sons.

You will notice Rorion does not appear in any Gracie University content after this video.

5/17/19 7:19 PM
11/20/09
TequilaYuen - 

Are you intentionally trying to confuse the issue by posting all this unrelated stuff from literally the past 10 years?

Do you have a personal connection with Gracie University or Gracie Academy? Because it feels like you are trying to fuck up the thread on purpose.

The stuff I posted is not ten years old.

I wouldn't say I have any affiliation with Gracie Academy or University.  I trained under Chris Brennan for a while who many years ago trained at Gracie Academy in Torrance but he(Chris) didn't shout praises about the place or anything to make me feel  he was strongly connected to it let alone me having a connection.

It's pretty obvious from my point of view.  This is a recent thread.  You made a statement that totally caught my attention.  I wanted to research the topic and in doing so I found a thread a whopping 2 years old.  It was a relevant thread, here I'll link it.  https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/forums/BJJ/Gracie-Torrance-Schism:2664617?pc=295

5/17/19 7:22 PM
1/1/01
yusul - 

sounds 70/30 kids fault. 

rorion didn't seem that interested in teaching in the last 10 and the kids were doing most of the teaching. if they offered a large amount and he could act like a figurehead or at least have an input as to what goes into the product, it's reasonable, like a retirement settlement. 

however, the sons shouldn't have set up shop nearby and stolen all the family students.  at least i think royce didn't set up nearby nor rickson when they left. 

Rorion hasn't taught the group classes in at least 20 years. Caique and Royce were teaching the intermediate classes and purple belts were teaching the beginners. The school lost a lot of students when Caique moved down the street.
5/17/19 7:23 PM
11/20/09

If I speak on this subject it's more me thinking about loud, I'm not trying to have an opinion and spread it, I'm still trying to form my opinion.

I pick up what you're laying down but I am not 100% sure that Rorion is not talking to his sons.

7:30 mark of this video....thoughts?

https://youtu.be/_CRslGVLOzA?t=450

5/17/19 7:28 PM
1/1/01
Ruprecht - 
yusul - 

sounds 70/30 kids fault. 

rorion didn't seem that interested in teaching in the last 10 and the kids were doing most of the teaching. if they offered a large amount and he could act like a figurehead or at least have an input as to what goes into the product, it's reasonable, like a retirement settlement. 

however, the sons shouldn't have set up shop nearby and stolen all the family students.  at least i think royce didn't set up nearby nor rickson when they left. 

Rorion hasn't taught the group classes in at least 20 years. Caique and Royce were teaching the intermediate classes and purple belts were teaching the beginners. The school lost a lot of students when Caique moved down the street.

i remember that, but my point in case would be rorion is not caique's father or brother.
5/17/19 7:39 PM
6/27/18
D241 -
TequilaYuen - 

The stuff I posted is not ten years old.

I wouldn't say I have any affiliation with Gracie Academy or University.  I trained under Chris Brennan for a while who many years ago trained at Gracie Academy in Torrance but he(Chris) didn't shout praises about the place or anything to make me feel  he was strongly connected to it let alone me having a connection.

It's pretty obvious from my point of view.  This is a recent thread.  You made a statement that totally caught my attention.  I wanted to research the topic and in doing so I found a thread a whopping 2 years old.  It was a relevant thread, here I'll link it.  https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/forums/BJJ/Gracie-Torrance-Schism:2664617?pc=295

Some of those pictures of Rorion with Rener and Ryron at the old Gracie Academy are from 2011.

That interview with Renzo Gracie is from 2009.

The controversy over Gracie University's online blue belt program is from 2014 or earlier.

If you have been honestly out-of-the-loop on Gracie Jiu-Jitsu for the past decade, then I understand all this is new to you.

But you are rehashing stuff from years ago that has been exhaustively discussed on other threads, including threads on this very forum.

I just want to be clear about the truth of what's currently going on between Rener and his father Rorion.

People on this thread wanted to know what kind of business man Rener is.

Well he's the kind of business man to push his own father out of the fold.

5/17/19 7:42 PM
6/27/18
D241 -

If I speak on this subject it's more me thinking about loud, I'm not trying to have an opinion and spread it, I'm still trying to form my opinion.

I pick up what you're laying down but I am not 100% sure that Rorion is not talking to his sons.

This video is from 2014, years before their current business dispute.

5/17/19 10:33 PM
10/28/16
D241 - 

then why the fuck dont u form an opinion before typing it? fuck ur thinking out loud, quoting shit then posting something unrelated or thats already been posted- then explaining wtf u posted it, oh, then a follow up or ten! fuck man!
5/17/19 10:34 PM
10/28/16
TequilaYuen - 
D241 -

This video is from 2014, years before their current business dispute.

he must be the new pj or homeslice
5/18/19 12:26 AM
3/6/07
D241 -

TequilaYuen -
sassen -

There is something I don't like about him. Reckon he has a big secret. Something off putting. 

Not really a secret, but not freely discussed. Rener and his brother Ryron pushed their own father Rorion OUT of the Gracie business.

Rorion started the Gracie Academy in Torrance in 1989. The first Brazilian jiu-jitsu school in North America. As his sons grew and progressed in the art, he was happy to have them take on instructor roles.

This went on for many years. Rener and Ryron - especially Rener - took more and more initiative with the business. The Gracie University website, the combatives curriculum, the online blue belt instruction program, the intense merchandising - that was all Rener.

Still, Rener wanted more: He wanted control of the business. Why stay under his dad's thumb when he was the one really doing all the work and running the show?

A couple years ago, Rener and Ryron made their move: They opened a new location under the name of Gracie University. They took all Gracie Academy's clientele with them. They started a new merchandise line divorced from the name of Gracie Academy.

They gave their father Rorion a choice: He could come with them in a salaried figurehead position. Or he could continue with the Gracie Academy name alone.

Rorion is a prideful man. He didn't want to be under his sons. He took the latter option.

Gracie Academy's original location closed its doors a few months after Gracie University opened.

So now Gracie University is thriving. Rener and Ryron have taken control of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, with no involvement from the father.

And Rorion goes his separate way. How does he feel about it? You won't find any pictures of his adult sons on his social media.

That was a good story.  Very believable.  You almost had me until I decided to research that last claim.  

Image may contain: 18 people

TequilaYuen -
sassen -

There is something I don't like about him. Reckon he has a big secret. Something off putting. 

Not really a secret, but not freely discussed. Rener and his brother Ryron pushed their own father Rorion OUT of the Gracie business.

Rorion started the Gracie Academy in Torrance in 1989. The first Brazilian jiu-jitsu school in North America. As his sons grew and progressed in the art, he was happy to have them take on instructor roles.

This went on for many years. Rener and Ryron - especially Rener - took more and more initiative with the business. The Gracie University website, the combatives curriculum, the online blue belt instruction program, the intense merchandising - that was all Rener.

Still, Rener wanted more: He wanted control of the business. Why stay under his dad's thumb when he was the one really doing all the work and running the show?

A couple years ago, Rener and Ryron made their move: They opened a new location under the name of Gracie University. They took all Gracie Academy's clientele with them. They started a new merchandise line divorced from the name of Gracie Academy.

They gave their father Rorion a choice: He could come with them in a salaried figurehead position. Or he could continue with the Gracie Academy name alone.

Rorion is a prideful man. He didn't want to be under his sons. He took the latter option.

Gracie Academy's original location closed its doors a few months after Gracie University opened.

So now Gracie University is thriving. Rener and Ryron have taken control of Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, with no involvement from the father.

And Rorion goes his separate way. How does he feel about it? You won't find any pictures of his adult sons on his social media.

But these pics are super old. From the old Academy. 

5/18/19 1:53 AM
6/27/18

^ No point even dignifying D241 with a response. He doesn't seem to understand that things on the internet have a time frame. It's like he assumes everything is current to when he sees it. Bizarre.

I'm still suspicious that he is cluttering up the thread and confusing the narrative on purpose to protect Rener and Gracie University.

5/18/19 2:13 AM
10/28/16
TequilaYuen - 

^ No point even dignifying D241 with a response. He doesn't seem to understand that things on the internet have a time frame. It's like he assumes everything is current to when he sees it. Bizarre.

I'm still suspicious that he is cluttering up the thread and confusing the narrative on purpose to protect Rener and Gracie University.

nah nigga i think he understands the internet very well and knows wat hes doing
wats ur agenda d241?
5/18/19 3:56 AM
12/4/06

Later

5/18/19 4:20 AM
11/20/09
starboy - 
TequilaYuen - 

wats ur agenda d241?

Rich.

Accuse me of having an agenda?  You two getting your panties in a bunch all started b/c if anyone has an agenda, it's Tequila Yuen.  

I never claimed to be in any type of loop regarding Gracie Academy and Gracie University.  I simply found a fellow forum member's comment to be one of interest, so unlike most people, I wanted to research the claims.  In doing so, I found their/his claims seems to  have some  truth.  So what's my agenda?  Trying to figure out a way for both of you to fuck yourselves.  Mission accomplished.

5/18/19 9:12 AM
1/30/10
D241 -
starboy - 
TequilaYuen - 

wats ur agenda d241?

Rich.

Accuse me of having an agenda?  You two getting your panties in a bunch all started b/c if anyone has an agenda, it's Tequila Yuen.  

I never claimed to be in any type of loop regarding Gracie Academy and Gracie University.  I simply found a fellow forum member's comment to be one of interest, so unlike most people, I wanted to research the claims.  In doing so, I found their/his claims seems to  have some  truth.  So what's my agenda?  Trying to figure out a way for both of you to fuck yourselves.  Mission accomplished.

You’re an asshole , just leave the thread 

5/18/19 9:57 AM
3/16/15
yusul - 
Ruprecht - 
yusul - 

sounds 70/30 kids fault. 

i remember that, but my point in case would be rorion is not caique's father or brother.

Agreed.

You don't push your father out.  

Especially when he was the guy that gave you everything that you have.

(And I am not a fan of Rorion).

5/18/19 1:48 PM
7/19/13

Dope product.. I would buy one. I like his energy and enthusiasm in the ad too..

5/18/19 2:26 PM
7/19/13

If what he did to his Dad is true, that’s some fucked up shit. Every business has a non compete clause for employees. Doubt Rorion ever felt he would need one against his own sons. How do you set up shop in the same town or area as your own dad and steal his clients? That’s fucked up. Could have aleast found a new market to build your own brand and name. Basically emptied out his Dad’s bank account and retirement. Robbed that man..smh

5/18/19 2:43 PM
6/27/18
UltimateKeyboardWarrior - 
yusul - 
Ruprecht - 
yusul - 

sounds 70/30 kids fault. 

Agreed.

You don't push your father out.  

Especially when he was the guy that gave you everything that you have.

(And I am not a fan of Rorion).

The argument could be made that Rorion is on the outside looking in by his own choice. That he could have had his own office at Gracie University... if he had been willing to accept that he was no longer in charge. Pride is not always a good thing.

But on the same hand, it says something about Rener that he was unable to come to terms with Rorion. Rener's business ambitions were more important to him than his relationship with his father. Being a part of the business wasn't enough - He wanted ownership, and he was willing to put his dad out of the picture to get it,

I have a grudging respect for such drive. Yet I also believe there has got to be more to your decision-making than money.

5/18/19 2:49 PM
6/27/18
KnockoutThoughts - 

If what he did to his Dad is true, that’s some fucked up shit. Every business has a non compete clause for employees. Doubt Rorion ever felt he would need one against his own sons. How do you set up shop in the same town or area as your own dad and steal his clients? That’s fucked up. Could have aleast found a new market to build your own brand and name. Basically emptied out his Dad’s bank account and retirement. Robbed that man..smh

Rorion still has his Gracie diet business, and he does private instruction and seminars. No need to worry about Rorion's bank account, he will never be crying poor.