UnderGround Forums Rewatching Jones Gustaffson 1.

Edited: 6 days ago
5/14/13

I forgot how bad a robbery this was.

6 days ago
5/14/13

Dana's face says it all."Unanimous"
6 days ago
5/14/13

"Still"
6 days ago
5/14/13

"Shit, better get the belt on Jon"
5 days ago
2/17/03

I've never understood the controversy. It's a close fight. I give Jon round 4, which is the most historically debated round.

5 days ago
7/25/08
wiggum - 

I've never understood the controversy. It's a close fight. I give Jon round 4, which is the most historically debated round.

People act like any close fight is some highway robbery.

Fights are fucking hard to score, if it's close, you're going to disagree sometimes.

I would score it for Gus, but it's not like the judges were insane to give it to Jones.

Actual robberies are few and far between, IMO.
5 days ago
10/9/10

I’d have to watch the fight again but I don’t remember it being that close. I felt like Gus clearly won the first three and the fourth being competitive until the Jones elbow. 

5 days ago
2/17/03
MasterofMartialArts - 

I’d have to watch the fight again but I don’t remember it being that close. I felt like Gus clearly won the first three and the fourth being competitive until the Jones elbow. 

This is a good piece on it.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1783770-who-really-won-jon-jones-vs-alexander-gustafsson-at-ufc-165

I give Jon round 1 and I think round 4 is fairly clearly his.

Like slowshot says, its close. A decision either way isn't robbery.
5 days ago
3/2/12

I too would need to watch it again but I thought it was very clearly 3-2 Gus.

5 days ago
9/20/19
Slowshot -
wiggum - 

Fights are fucking hard to score, if it's close, you're going to disagree sometimes.

I would score it for Gus, but it's not like the judges were insane to give it to Jones.

Hamill/Bisping was straight up robbery. 

5 days ago
11/5/19
Slowshot - 
wiggum - 

Yep they just take the fighter they like more to determine if it was a good decision or a robbery. Any close fight isn’t a robbery
5 days ago
1/24/16

Jonathan won that fight

5 days ago
2/17/03
HillboFrateTrane - 
Slowshot -
wiggum - 

Yes. There are robberies. They are rarer than people think. But, Hamill/Bisping was one of them.

5 days ago
2/17/03

FWIW, I think Jones won the Gus fight; clearly won the Santos fight; and clearly lost the Reyes fight.

5 days ago
7/25/08
wiggum - 
HillboFrateTrane - 
Slowshot -
wiggum - 

Yes. There are robberies. They are rarer than people think. But, Hamill/Bisping was one of them.

You know, I have ZERO memory of that fight.

Also, I'm never going to have a memory of that fight, because I have no interest in re-watching. Just a "who cares" match if there ever was one.
5 days ago
8/22/14

From my memory gus was winning and making it look easy , up till the spinning back elbow. Then Jones put the hurt on

5 days ago
5/14/13
wiggum -

Cant imagine why. I remember doing a last 40 second breakdown of the 4th round, and Jones missed more than he landed, in addition to Gustafsson throwing him to the ground.

Takedown and a trip in rounds 1 and 2, and if you score round 5 for Jones  because of the takedown he did nothing with, 1 and 2 go to Gustaffson, considering he also did more on the feet in those rounds.

3-2.

I scored it 4-1 at the time, and I'd consider sticking with it. But 3-2 is an easily defendable score for Gustafsson.

5 days ago
5/14/13
wiggum -

FWIW, I think Jones won the Gus fight; clearly won the Santos fight; and clearly lost the Reyes fight.

Weird, I think Jones clearly lost this one, did enough to win against Santos unimpressively, and he never got out of second gear against Reyes.

5 days ago
2/17/03
The Pendulum - 
wiggum -

Cant imagine why. I remember doing a last 40 second breakdown of the 4th round, and Jones missed more than he landed, in addition to Gustafsson throwing him to the ground.

Takedown and a trip in rounds 1 and 2, and if you score round 5 for Jones  because of the takedown he did nothing with, 1 and 2 go to Gustaffson, considering he also did more on the feet in those rounds.

3-2.

I scored it 4-1 at the time, and I'd consider sticking with it. But 3-2 is an easily defendable score for Gustafsson.

Number one criteria is significant strikes and damages, not takedowns and trips.

5 days ago
1/3/20
Jones lost that fight, he's "won" more fights he lost than Decision Dan Henderson ever did.
5 days ago
5/14/13

@wiggum
5 days ago
3/18/14

It was a close fight. Jones really put it on him in the second half of the fight and was close to finishing him after the spinning elbow. People are always swayed by the way he paces himself

5 days ago
3/18/14

When a challenger does better than expected it can influence how people judge the fight. Gustaffson hitting takedowns on Jon was massive at the time. Prime Jones was ragdolling everyone

5 days ago
10/22/14

It was a close fight but Gus edged it....

Actually watched it and thought this was close but Gus most likely won. 

Then when they read the scores and there was 49-46 in there I knew 100% that Gus won because no way could anyone have scored that fight 49-46 Jones. 

Then they give it Jones and it was just like what the flying fuuuuck just happened.

5 days ago
10/17/13
Jon has been in some very close fights where he’s won by only a hair.