UnderGround Forums Rumble: The fight that inspired my return

13 days ago
1/1/01

Anthony "Rumble" Johnson fought at 170, 185, 205, heavyweight, 205, and then retired 2.5 years ago, and got HUGE. Now he tells Simon Head and George Garcia he's down to 230-235, wants to fight at light heavyweight or heavyweight, and identified the fight that changed his mind about retirement. 

“DC and Stipe 2,” said Johnson. “I was actually watching them fight, saw them fight, and that was actually probably the third or fourth fight I’d watched since I retired. When I said I was done with MMA I was really done with MMA. At least, mentally I felt like I was done. I saw them fight, saw them go at it. They were the two best guys at that time. They displayed so much skill and talent.

"Everybody else probably saw a normal fight where they weren’t doing that much, but I saw skill, talent, the timing, the setups. Everything was at such a high level. It just made me say, ‘You know what, I can still do that, so I’m going to go out there and give it a shot.'”

“I want to beat whoever has the belt, most likely Jon will have the belt. I should be fighting by the end of the year.”

13 days ago
7/27/04

Rumble vs Noguiera 2

13 days ago
1/24/20
EKPOGI -

Rumble vs Noguiera 2

I think Nog would take a severe case of CV19 over a rematch with Rumble at this point.

13 days ago
11/24/13

I hope it's real, he looked like he quit against DC twice. A genuine Rumble return would be amazing to witness, and we never got him vs Jones. Rumble vs Smith could be a cool comeback. 

13 days ago
10/5/12

I'd make him debut at heavyweight. He has a history of missing weight, and that would solve one problem. If he wins and is able to make 205, some of the already mentioned fights sound awesome. Ozdemir would be a fun fight as well.

12 days ago
5/8/16

Rumble is like bj penn. Very good but is weak minded and can't come back to win a fight when he is losing .. he quit vs DC terribly.. he fought ay 170 185 to avoid real fights.. 

12 days ago
7/10/02
Now that was a classy statement. The amazing skills he saw reignited his passion. Great story
12 days ago
12/24/11

Rumble vs. Ngannou.

Please and thank you!

12 days ago
3/16/16
Sprawl'n'Stall - Now that was a classy statement. The amazing skills he saw reignited his passion. Great story

Yeah, that was refreshing. Thought Rumble was going to comment on the lack of talent/depth at 205.

12 days ago
5/16/12
Thuggnificent -
Sprawl'n'Stall - Now that was a classy statement. The amazing skills he saw reignited his passion. Great story

Yeah, that was refreshing. Thought Rumble was going to comment on the lack of talent/depth at 205.

And here I was thinking he gained back the confidence after winning  a few fights against his girlfriends. 

11 days ago
9/22/11

Rumble v any woman that talks back.

11 days ago
1/5/13

I had the pleasure and honor of meeting AJ numerous times back at all the strikeforce shows that were held in san Jose. I cant say enough good about him. Just one of the best overall human beings I have met. It was very humbling for me and I matured a lot from each time I'd speak with him. I will always be on the Rumble bandwagon and couldn't be more excited to read that he is coming back.  

11 days ago
2/10/20

Has he learned a RNC defense yet since his time off? He's had 2.5 years to do it, so if he hasn't... Get Rich Clementi out of retirement first to test that dedication.... ;)

Edited: 11 days ago
2/2/15
beans455 -

I had the pleasure and honor of meeting AJ numerous times back at all the strikeforce shows that were held in san Jose. I cant say enough good about him. Just one of the best overall human beings I have met. It was very humbling for me and I matured a lot from each time I'd speak with him. I will always be on the Rumble bandwagon and couldn't be more excited to read that he is coming back.  

You matured from talking to another person a few times? Get the fuck outta here, fuck's sake.