UnderGround Forums SAS removes all doubts

2/26/20 11:30 AM
1/1/01

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."
-Abraham Lincoln

Stephen A. Smith is the most inadvertently hilarious figure in mixed martial arts. He came under intense criticism after belittling Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone's performance vs. Conor McGregor, and during a recent appearance on Sirius XM’s “The AK & Barak Show” Smith removed all doubts.

"Fellas, I’m learning the sport,” said Smith, as transcribed by Harry Davies for BE. “Muay Thai, being in a rear-naked choke. I don’t know. I never said I knew. What I said was, I was at that fight. I know what the hell I saw for those 40 seconds. I’m not debating the sport. Like for example, there’s a whole bunch of cats that talk basketball, you think they know basketball like I know basketball? I’ve been covering the sport for 25 years. I got inside information all over the place. No, I’m an aficionado on basketball. I’m a reporter and spectator everywhere else.”

“I saw this dude get hit with three shoulder shrugs right to his nose. He backed up, had a chance to run away for a few seconds to gather himself, didn’t do it. Only did one side kick, which didn’t connect. Then got kicked in the side of his head by Conor McGregor, he goes down and out.

“This is your 50th fight, dog. You didn’t know how to back up and catch your breath? Then, oh — by the way — you went out in 40 seconds. Then we find out it’s your first pay-per-view fight. Oh, how man times we’ve seen brothers step in the ring and we go like this, ‘Bright lights might have been too much for them.’ But because it’s Cowboy Cerrone and it’s the MMA, suddenly I’m not allowed to say that? It’s ridiculous. It’s ridiculous.”

It wasn't a side kick. It wasn't Cerrone's first PPV, it was his 14th. It's not the MMA. There's no such thing as a football bat, but that's the level of Smith's commentary.

The last time someone with similar MMA knowledge meandered into the UFC international spotlight it was James Toney, and fans at least got the satisfaction of seeing him dispatched without ever throwing a punch. In a just world, SAS would have to back his mouth up, but instead, we get more of the fool's mouth.

It would be neat if ESPN expanded his MMA knowledge by sending him to Joshua Fabia's School of Self Awareness Worldwide. SAS at SOS; that would be perfect.

2/26/20 11:39 AM
2/2/12

He's still correct. Clarifying he's a noob at the sport doesn't change that.

2/26/20 11:45 AM
1/1/01
greasegun - 

“I’m quite disgusted. ... Here’s the deal: 15 seconds in, ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone was done. He got hit with those shoulders in the clinch, and he was done. It look like he gave up."

"Obviously as the fight goes on, ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone is the bigger, stronger guy – supposedly. For him to be hurt in 15 seconds, get away from the clinch, and still just let Conor right back at him? Come on. You’re smarter than that, except for tonight.”
2/26/20 12:13 PM
1/11/17

Good. I'll always be a fan just for how mad he got that midget Rogan and his delicate fans. He is no worse than Rogan but has the excuse of not being involved in the sport for 20 years.

2/26/20 12:19 PM
1/1/17
Cerrone didnt show up that whole fight week. He never once claimed he was gonna win. Never said he was gonna hurt Conor. Never said he had something special in mind. Never talked about what the win may mean to him. He just said he was gonna put on a show and blow the doors of the joint. When you blew Cerrone. You blew McGregor hard that night buddy. Stephen A was right. Cowboy wasnt in for the war.
2/26/20 12:23 PM
12/17/06

Nate said the same thing. And he beat both guys.

2/26/20 12:27 PM
4/13/12

He's a gift to the sport.  I think he's hilarious.

Edited: 2/26/20 12:32 PM
11/10/18

He is 100% correct. It was a bad performance from Cowboy complicated by Cowboy’s pre fight comments. It was also an intentionally engineered match up that everyone knew would make Conor look good. It was just too easy and it backfired a little. 
MMA fans are dumb enough that they actually think they’re part of the sport and they get emotional and take any criticism personally. It’s funny to watch. 

2/26/20 1:06 PM
8/18/13

As the replies show, it’s mostly retards watching who want someone equally clueless about the sport they can relate to. 

Same reason the forum, and all forums, continue to go downhill with regards to sensible conversation 

2/26/20 1:13 PM
2/25/06
Left_Hook_Cemetery -

Good. I'll always be a fan just for how mad he got that midget Rogan and his delicate fans. He is no worse than Rogan but has the excuse of not being involved in the sport for 20 years.

I’m going to have to disagree. I think he’s a LOT worse than Rogan.

2/26/20 1:28 PM
2/18/20
SAS is correct in his assessment. I think fans are upset in the way he presented his point being as he doesn't know the terminology as many fans. But still he was right.

* On a SideNote: I've noticed this forum especially mods/owners have a real issue with SAS. He isn't the worst journalist in the sport and on top of it, he brings more eyes to the sport.
2/26/20 1:34 PM
1/11/17
ABCTT_PaleAndGangly -
Left_Hook_Cemetery -

I’m going to have to disagree. I think he’s a LOT worse than Rogan.

Let me know when SAS claims a female 135ers can beat Mayweather and male 135ers.

Or when he claims Ronda has great boxing.

Or when he calls her a once in a lifetime athlete and starts tearing up.

Or when he says Jon Jones snorted cocaine tainted with steroids.

Or when he calls black people apes.

Edited: 2/26/20 1:37 PM
1/11/17
On a SideNote - SAS is correct in his assessment. I think fans are upset in the way he presented his point being as he doesn't know the terminology as many fans. But still he was right.

* On a SideNote: I've noticed this forum especially mods/owners have a real issue with SAS. He isn't the worst journalist in the sport and on top of it, he brings more eyes to the sport.

Show me someone who wants to be on JRE and I'll show you someone who hates SAS.

Though there is a lot of bitterness too. A lot of people like Luke Thomas are jealous as fuck that he gets paid millions and speaks about MMA on the most visible platform, while they pontificate and condiscend on their poxy little podcasts, for a handfall of faggots.

2/26/20 2:49 PM
6/5/03
greasegun -

Apparently you're as retarded as Smith.

2/26/20 3:06 PM
12/7/10

Anyone notice that Cerrone himself has not commented on this entire brouhaha? Which leads me to believe he probably agrees with Stephen A! Good thing Stephen A is the top dog at ESPN and nothing Dana White or Joe Rogan or any MMA fan can do about it. The guy was the coach of the NBA Celebrity Team at the All Star game. You think he gives a flying fuck about some crybaby MMA fans?

Edited: 2/26/20 3:12 PM
5/14/08
stainlesssteel - 

Anyone notice that Cerrone himself has not commented on this entire brouhaha? Which leads me to believe he probably agrees with Stephen A! Good thing Stephen A is the top dog at ESPN and nothing Dana White or Joe Rogan or any MMA fan can do about it. The guy was the coach of the NBA Celebrity Team at the All Star game. You think he gives a flying fuck about some crybaby MMA fans?

"The guy was the coach of the NBA Celebrity Team at the All Star game."

-LOL his assistant coach was Guy Fieri. 

Edited: 2/26/20 4:05 PM
11/24/13

Everyone in this thread is forgetting what SAS said that pissed people off. SAS said that Cerrone quit.

That's not what happened though. The word "quit" is pretty clearly defined in MMA and carries way more weight than it does it ball sports. Cerrone didn't tap out, the ref stopped the fight. Cowboy also didn't purposely let his opponent sink anything in and/or then choose not to defend it (e.g. Diaz vs. McGregor). Those two cases didn't happen.

How can someone QUIT when they didn't even START?! SAS instead should have chosen a more correct narrative and made the argument that Cowboy mentally froze out there and didn't even START. This is a more correct narrative and actually highlights a far more egregious problem on Cerrone's part than the false narrative that he QUIT.

2/26/20 4:01 PM
8/18/13
stainlesssteel -

Actually the likely reason Cowboy hasn’t commented is because he doesn’t give a fuck about crybaby MMA fans and clueless colour commentators who have watched so little MMA they don’t know he’s a fucking warrior 

7 fights in a calendar year, title challenger, multiple UFC history book records, and a well deserved red panty night. He has no need to give two fucks what casual fans of the sport say about him 

2/26/20 4:09 PM
6/27/05

It was a disgusting performance by a guy who admitted he wouldn’t use his best tools going into the fight.

Don’t care what word you use to describe those fourty seconds as long as it has the same meaning as pathetic.

2/26/20 4:27 PM
1/17/03

On this we agree Kirik. 

2/26/20 5:20 PM
8/18/13
Stu Cazzo -

It was a disgusting performance by a guy who admitted he wouldn’t use his best tools going into the fight.

Don’t care what word you use to describe those fourty seconds as long as it has the same meaning as pathetic.

Was Aldo’s performance against Conor disgusting to you? How about Askrens against Masvidal? Zingano against Ronda?

Or are you just watching elite fighters getting in a fucking cage where SOMETIMES someone gets brutalised quickly and efficiently 

Edited: 2/26/20 5:52 PM
1/24/20
Eskimo -

He is 100% correct. It was a bad performance from Cowboy complicated by Cowboy’s pre fight comments. It was also an intentionally engineered match up that everyone knew would make Conor look good. It was just too easy and it backfired a little. 
MMA fans are dumb enough that they actually think they’re part of the sport and they get emotional and take any criticism personally. It’s funny to watch. 

Not to mention Cowboy's one shot at a huge opayday and he comes away with a couple hundred grand while the UFC backs uo the Brinks truck for Conor. Cowboy has to have one of, if not the, lowest IQ's of any fighter to step foot in the Octogon. He's probably cost himself millions over the years and makes Tito look like a rocket scientist.

2/26/20 5:46 PM
11/14/16
Dreville79 -

As the replies show, it’s mostly retards watching who want someone equally clueless about the sport they can relate to. 

Same reason the forum, and all forums, continue to go downhill with regards to sensible conversation 

I think the replies you are receiving is a pretty big correlation that your assumption is basically spot on. I don’t see how this disrespectful blabber mouth is good for mma. 

2/26/20 5:55 PM
7/19/13

SAS told the truth. So much hate for the truth. 

2/26/20 5:56 PM
9/19/13

SAS called out Wilder's bullshit on the whole costume fiasco. That's good enough for me to give him a pass.