UnderGround Forums Sage northcutt just go KOd

5/17/19 12:40 PM
4/1/10
TequilaYuen -
Steve4192 - Another product of the UFC hype machine.

A freaky athlete who looks the part and has some flashy offensive skills, but lacks the boring basic fundamentals that separate guys with great potential from guys who are actually great. There have been dozens of guys like him over the years, and they almost always fail to reach their much ballyhooed 'potential'.

Harsh judgement, but I agree.

You could see Sage trying to do a karate style thing with his stance and his hands down. Meanwhile Cosmo was cutting off the ring and putting Sage in the corner with basic footwork. Then Sage misjudged the distance and didn't seem to realize Cosmo was in punching range.

I suspect Sage needs better boxing fundamentals, and also needs to be taught the differences between fighting in a cage and fighting in a ring.

I just made the exact comment on YouTube about the possibility of the Ring being an issue.  I'm not convinced it was but glad I'm not the only one!

5/17/19 12:50 PM
11/17/10

as expected

he was just sidestepping toward cosmo's power

5/17/19 12:50 PM
1/1/01

I know he got ko'd, but I'm actually surprised he took that punch as well as he did.

5/17/19 12:51 PM
6/27/18
VoteforOrcus2019OGKing -
TequilaYuen -

A freaky athlete who looks the part and has some flashy offensive skills, but lacks the boring basic fundamentals that separate guys with great potential from guys who are actually great. There have been dozens of guys like him over the years, and they almost always fail to reach their much ballyhooed 'potential'.

You could see Sage trying to do a karate style thing with his stance and his hands down. Meanwhile Cosmo was cutting off the ring and putting Sage in the corner with basic footwork. Then Sage misjudged the distance and didn't seem to realize Cosmo was in punching range.

I suspect Sage needs better boxing fundamentals, and also needs to be taught the differences between fighting in a cage and fighting in a ring.

I just made the exact comment on YouTube about the possibility of the Ring being an issue.  I'm not convinced it was but glad I'm not the only one!

The ring was definitely part of it. The bigger issue was the distance management. In the slow mo you can see Sage was trying to throw a jab. He didn't realize he was already in range of Cosmo's power hand. It shows Sage's lack of boxing fundamentals.

5/17/19 1:02 PM
8/6/08
world kickboxing champ v. instagram model...what did u think would happen?
5/17/19 1:07 PM
8/18/13

Before Sage had his first fight when he signed with the UFC, I asked my local Bookie what odds he’d give me on him being UFC champ inside 3 years. I expected odds of around 50/1, he quoted me 3/1. Shows how massive the hype was with Sage that the odds were so low 

5/17/19 1:08 PM
8/13/09

Frick!

5/17/19 1:09 PM
4/18/11

Frick chores

5/17/19 1:17 PM
1/1/01
TequilaYuen -
VoteforOrcus2019OGKing -
TequilaYuen -

The ring was definitely part of it. The bigger issue was the distance management. In the slow mo you can see Sage was trying to throw a jab. He didn't realize he was already in range of Cosmo's power hand. It shows Sage's lack of boxing fundamentals.

Lack of fundamentals+karate stance keeping his lead hand way too low/inactive.

You can see Cosmo stalking with his right soon as the bell rang. 

5/17/19 1:20 PM
2/3/10

Damnnnn

5/17/19 1:22 PM
1/30/16
Floppy Divac -

I know he got ko'd, but I'm actually surprised he took that punch as well as he did.

What did you expect? His head to go flying into the Cosmos?

5/17/19 1:29 PM
6/27/18
Dreville79 -

Before Sage had his first fight when he signed with the UFC, I asked my local Bookie what odds he’d give me on him being UFC champ inside 3 years. I expected odds of around 50/1, he quoted me 3/1. Shows how massive the hype was with Sage that the odds were so low 

I mean he’s still really young, just 23. He isn’t even in his prime yet. There’s time yet for him to show greatness.

But the worrying thing is that he went into the UFC four years ago, and he has not shown great progression in his skills.

Jon Jones also went into the UFC really young, just 21. But you could see his skills and his fight IQ develop with each fight.

Khalil Rountree vastly improved his striking with just eight months in Thailand.

Why aren’t we seeing these leaps with Sage, given all his athleticism?

I suspect the problem is his training, which is guided by his bodybuilder father. I bet Sage spends too much time on strength and conditioning, or even cosmetic lifting, and not enough time on practical fight skills.

Remember when Sage went to Tristar, and his father made him leave in a huff because his father disapproved of the training?

5/17/19 1:42 PM
4/1/10
danybayamon23 -
Floppy Divac -

What did you expect? His head to go flying into the Cosmos?

Yeah he didn't die, that was impressive

5/17/19 1:47 PM
4/27/08
Seems like UFC brass has some foresight about the guys they release...
5/17/19 1:51 PM
11/23/03
TequilaYuen -
Dreville79 -

I mean he’s still really young, just 23. He isn’t even in his prime yet. There’s time yet for him to show greatness.

But the worrying thing is that he went into the UFC four years ago, and he has not shown great progression in his skills.

Jon Jones also went into the UFC really young, just 21. But you could see his skills and his fight IQ develop with each fight.

Khalil Rountree vastly improved his striking with just eight months in Thailand.

I suspect the problem is his training, which is guided by his bodybuilder father. I bet Sage spends too much time on strength and conditioning, or even cosmetic lifting, and not enough time on practical fight skills.

Remember when Sage went to Tristar, and his father made him leave in a huff because his father disapproved of the training?

GSP won the belt at 24. Truly great fighters have something special very early. 

Not disrespecting sage, he’s amazing. Comparable to the Jon Jones, GSP’s, Connors of the world? Maybe not

5/17/19 1:57 PM
9/27/15
TequilaYuen - 
Dreville79 -

Good post and I was wondering the same thing..Sage is very young and very athletic and was training with team Alpha Male, right? Why isn't he improving his basi skillset? Even in several of his UFC fughts that he won, he got clipped hard but turned it around..

His grappling seemed to be his weakness and at times seemed very raw ..I like watching Sage fight but this loss doesn't make me feel good for his future..
5/17/19 2:06 PM
3/12/02
Floppy Divac -

What would Sage have to do to take the hook worse than being KO’d, die?

5/17/19 2:12 PM
8/19/03

Nasty.  He moved right into it. 

Tough lessons learned.   Hopefully he improves and comes back better. 

5/17/19 2:15 PM
11/28/03
5/17/19 2:15 PM
4/1/10

I hope he's mentally tough enough to move forward.  A devastating ko like that can make people have second thoughts about their profession, rightfully.

5/17/19 2:21 PM
11/5/16

He gets caught with big punches early in fights with regularity, this one was just really clean

5/17/19 2:32 PM
1/1/01
TequilaYuen - Why aren't we seeing these leaps with Sage, given all his athleticism?

Maybe he's not as athletic as he looks. The anti-BJ Penn. I'd consider BJ a freak athlete due to his ability to master new martial arts rapidly, despite his unathletic, pudgy appearance. Sage is the opposite.
5/17/19 2:52 PM
6/1/07
Anek - 
TequilaYuen - Why aren't we seeing these leaps with Sage, given all his athleticism?

Maybe he's not as athletic as he looks. The anti-BJ Penn. I'd consider BJ a freak athlete due to his ability to master new martial arts rapidly, despite his unathletic, pudgy appearance. Sage is the opposite.

I think the reason Sage isn't improving is that you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Sure, Sage is still in his early 20s, but he's been training in the same style since elementary school. He's old in terms of how long he has been training.

We've seen it before with guys who start training/fighting when they are extremely young. Joe Stevenson, Karo Parisyan, Sergio Pettis, etc. all started fighting as teenagers and none of them ever showed the kind of rapid improvement that we expected from them based on their age. Much of their growth as fighters appears to have happened when they were still youngsters, and were set in their ways long before they reached their prime. Contrast that with a guy who stared later in life, and has no set patterns, who can be easily molded by good coaching.
5/17/19 2:56 PM
1/1/01
"You could see Sage trying to do a karate thing with his stance and his hands down."

Too many Bruce Lee movies and karate classes. Nobody's instincts and speed are good enough to fight like that and not get caught at some point.
5/17/19 3:15 PM
7/10/02
Anek - 

Not athletic? Are you nuts?

He lacks a lot of fundamentals in the fight game, even more so in grappling, but dude is explosive, fast, super agile, you name it. No need to exaggerate the bashing!