UnderGround Forums Shevchenko on Nunes dropping, Zhang coming up

6/5/20 4:22 PM
1/1/01

UFC women's flyweight champion Valentina Shevchenko was recently interviewed in Russian, with subtitles, by RT, and was asked if she wanted to go after the title defense record in her division, or superfight?

"When I started fighting in the UFC, I always fought in the 135 division. That's a division higher than where I fight now," she replied. "So all my opponents were heavier, taller, and stronger than me. I had no problems with that. I felt confident in that division. But when you're fighting in a weight above you, you feel that it's not for you, because you have to try harder, think more about what you do, and can't reach your full potential, because you always have to be careful because the fighters are stronger.

"I want to reiterate that I never had any problems fighting there. I fought for the 135 pound title and many people, not just me, thought that I won the fight against Amanda. If you watch that fight again, more people will agree. So when the UFC finally opened up the 125-pound division, that was my weight division, where I can fully reach my potential.

"I wouldn't drop down to 115. To fight at 115 I'd have to spend a lot of time on my diet, as opposed to my training sessions. At 125 I don't think about dieting because it's my natural weight, I focus on training. At 135 I focused on training and gaining weight. Right now it's important for me to fight in the right weight division, to fully focus on my training, and to improve myself during my training sessions. Right now I feel like I'm in the right place, at the right time, in the right weight division. I want to do as much as I can in right where I'm at."

Shevchenko was asked if she would fight a champion from another division. This would be Weili Zhang coming up with the aim of becoming champ champ, or Amanda Nunes dropping to become champ champ champ. 

"I'd love to," replied Shevchenko. "I'd love to fight Amanda Nunes at 125. She said she can easily cut weight, bring her on!"

Shevchenko was also asked about Zhang, with the interviewer noting Zhang is higher in the P4P rankings. 

"I really don't care about the rankings," replied Valentina. "But on the other hand, let the woman enjoy her time in the limelight. She's like a moth that lives for only a day. They show up, do their thing, then disappear. I think Weili is like that.

"She's not a bad fighter, she had a tenacious fight where she showed her tenacity. But that's it. To be top of the top, a fighter has to have more technique, smarts. It's not enough to just charge and exchange blows. I don't see her being around for a long time."

6/5/20 5:22 PM
1/1/01

Shes absolutely correct about trading shots. You wont be at the top for very long fighting that way.

6/5/20 5:32 PM
7/8/06

“I’d love to fight Amanda Nunes at 125.”

Amanda will be the first triple champion of the UFC.

6/5/20 5:34 PM
8/14/12

Valentina is #1 p4p 

6/5/20 5:35 PM
1/26/08
Mustard Tiger -

be fun to watch that fight and if it happens and Shevchenko wins, they can fight again at 135.

6/5/20 6:07 PM
12/21/13
Mustard Tiger -

LMAO. She will lose her title this Saturday.

6/5/20 6:09 PM
12/21/13

Val is doing the smart thing, she is staying in her weight and dominating. I see no reason for her to pull a Conor and bounce all over the damn place.

6/5/20 6:57 PM
6/23/10

Shevchenko is the most complete female mixed martial artist to ever compete imo.   I'd love to see her fight either of those two at 125.  Shes a killer.

6/5/20 8:03 PM
4/2/11

6/5/20 10:27 PM
4/2/20

Amanda is a phenomenal striker and hits hard, but I believe Valentina is a much better technical fighter and more complete Mixed Martial Artist. Their fight at 135 could’ve gone either way. I scored it for Valentina, but I feel Nunes did as well as she did bc she is naturally bigger. If she cut down to 125 to fight Valentina, I think that would affect her performance. Nunes is a big girl! I think she could do it, but it would hurt her more than help her. Especially against someone as dangerous as Valentina. That headkick KO against Eye.....WOW!

6/5/20 10:36 PM
10/25/14
Hiacios -

Val is doing the smart thing, she is staying in her weight and dominating. I see no reason for her to pull a Conor and bounce all over the damn place.

There isn't all that many options for her at 125 though. The division is very shallow 

6/5/20 11:31 PM
5/30/10

I hate her fighting Hope she doesn't try for another belt.

6/6/20 5:16 AM
12/9/12

Valentina arguably one the 135 fight against Nunes, in which case she would now be champ-champ. Don't think Nunes has the balls (pun intended ;) to face her again at 125, and if she does, Valentina takes it. Weili at 125 against Valentina would not go beyond 2nd round. KO by HK for Valentina. 

6/7/20 10:01 AM
7/8/06
If it ain't Dutch, it ain't much -
Mustard Tiger -

be fun to watch that fight and if it happens and Shevchenko wins, they can fight again at 135.

From what Dana shares at the post-press conference it seems Nunes will keep rolling through contenders.

I really can’t imagine anyone being threat to Amanda, even Valentina has lost to her twice. The weight cut to 125 would be the new variable and talking point.

But is it fair to put Nunes at a disadvantage like that because of lack of contenders?

6/7/20 11:02 AM
1/1/01

The 2nd Nunes fight could have went either way.

6/7/20 11:11 AM
2/11/20
Vikingknee -

Valentina is #1 p4p 

She's p4p #1 boring fighter.

6/7/20 12:58 PM
11/30/07
Mustard Tiger -

Only if she gets another gift decision over schev.. amanda lost both of those fights, fuck them judges. 

6/7/20 4:10 PM
1/1/01

Is Valentina willing to go back up to 135lb I wonder for the 3rd Nunes fight? Doubt Nunes ever goes to 125lb....Weili would likely need to go up to 125 as well. Some big fights for Valentina but not too likely they happen right now?

6/7/20 4:14 PM
1/28/20

Valentina is a better fighter than Amanda from a technical aspect. Amanda is just a little bit too big and powerful for her. Also, LMAO at Amanda making 125. Even if she could she wouldn't be the same fighter making that cut and Valentina would finally beat her.