UnderGround Forums Sonnen fought on an island, opponent stretchered

Edited: 4/9/20 2:03 PM
1/1/01

With UFC president Dana White discussing an island solution to holding international events during the COVID-19 global pandemic, many thought of Han's Island from Enter the Dragon, or Mortal Kombat. Here's a pretty cool fight held at a far flung location - Chael Sonnen vs. Tim McKenzie at BodogFIGHT: Costa Rica Combat on February 18, 2007 (2:40).

McKenzie would go on to fight nine more times, including twice at Tachi Palace where UFC 249 will reportedly be held.

4/9/20 1:12 PM
4/27/06
I worked that event.

Good memories and a wild time.
4/9/20 1:54 PM
4/27/06
PS. It wasn't an Island.

It was Tambor Beach, Costa Rica.
4/9/20 2:03 PM
1/1/01
LTL - PS. It wasn't an Island.

Thanks for the correction!

You work the one that Putin and Berlusconi attended?

4/9/20 2:11 PM
1/1/01

I was there ringside for the fight and all week. 30 fights in 3 days. Lots of fun. 

4/9/20 2:30 PM
4/27/06
Kirik - 
LTL - PS. It wasn't an Island.

Thanks for the correction!

You work the one that Putin and Berlusconi attended?

I got in a bit late and didn't get a chance to go to Russia.

I can confirm KenP was there though sporting a glorious fohawk and rooming with Baroni.

4/9/20 3:05 PM
8/20/03

So many good promotions that seemed to drift away.

Bodog seemed to have potential.

4/9/20 4:28 PM
1/1/01
Captain Canuck - 

I miss the good old days.  When Regional shows were everywhere.  Solid production Regional shows.  KOTC, WEC, Gladiator Challenge, IFC, etc.

4/9/20 5:57 PM
7/10/02

That takedown looked like it could snap a neck. Ouch. But it was a rib?

4/9/20 6:16 PM
6/30/07
Captain Canuck -

I have all those saved.

In an unplayable format, lol.

4/9/20 6:41 PM
3/30/14

I thought it was on the beach in Costa Rica?

4/9/20 8:06 PM
1/1/01
Has there ever been a man walk the face of the earth who stepped in the cage with the American Gangster, from the mean streets of West Lin, Oregon, named Chael P. Sonnen who did not leave the cage in a stretcher? I think not. Not only was he the highest paid fighter in the game, but he never lost a round, much less a fight. If you don’t believe me, just ask him.
4/9/20 8:21 PM
5/9/06

I remember watching these Bodog fights on mark cubans HDnet. Good times. 

4/9/20 8:57 PM
1/1/01
JohnnyAppleseed4Life - 
bemsqua - Has there ever been a man walk the face of the earth who stepped in the cage with the American Gangster, from the mean streets of West Lin, Oregon, named Chael P. Sonnen who did not leave the cage in a stretcher? I think not. Not only was he the highest paid fighter in the game, but he never lost a round, much less a fight. If you don’t believe me, just ask him.

He was also the undisputed champion of every organization he ever competed in, and even a few that he didn’t.

He defeated every champion of every organization.............

4/9/20 9:23 PM
12/26/19
Samoa -
JohnnyAppleseed4Life - 
bemsqua - Has there ever been a man walk the face of the earth who stepped in the cage with the American Gangster, from the mean streets of West Lin, Oregon, named Chael P. Sonnen who did not leave the cage in a stretcher? I think not. Not only was he the highest paid fighter in the game, but he never lost a round, much less a fight. If you don’t believe me, just ask him.

He was also the undisputed champion of every organization he ever competed in, and even a few that he didn’t.

Twice!

Edited: 4/9/20 9:26 PM
11/24/13

Kirik, add this above your video in your OP and delete my post here. This vid is a must watch before you see the video you posted (relevant bit starts around 5-6 min mark IIRC, entire video worth watching though):

4/9/20 9:31 PM
5/9/06
Samoa -
JohnnyAppleseed4Life - 

And is the highest paid athlete of all time

4/9/20 11:42 PM
7/10/02
Nytron - 

Kirik, add this above your video in your OP and delete my post here. This vid is a must watch before you see the video you posted (relevant bit starts around 5-6 min mark IIRC, entire video worth watching though):

Interesting indeed

14 days ago
1/1/01

They stuck McKenzie with a morphine shot in the leg. Like three fights later he was sitting in the stands drinking a beer with a severe buzz.

Good dude by the way and underrated fighter.

14 days ago
5/9/06

The list of fighters that competed at Bodog Costa Rica events was darn impressive:  Trevor Prangley, Chael, Nick the goat Thompson, Masvidal, Jake Ellenberger, Brad Picket, Big Country, Alex Steibling, Eddie Alvarez, Pele, Jake Sheilds...there was a ton of names at those times.