UnderGround Forums Stacked Weekend Of Boxing

12/18/19 1:59 PM
1/13/10
DAVID H -
Barry_BondsMVP - 
chadk -

Oh, and... I am saddened that no one commented on my Andy Ruiz - Joe Hipp comparison. Am I the only one who remembers him?

Never heard of him sorry lol 

WHAT!?!?!?! Never heard of him????

And I get it chadk....

Lol no, now I need to look him up.

12/18/19 8:39 PM
12/30/12

Tommy broke his jaw and both his hands vs Joe Hipp. Hipp had his cheekbone broken. 2 tough fucking dudes. Tommy didn’t have the best stamina or punch resistance but man he had some serious heart.

12/18/19 8:50 PM
12/30/12
pharochuck -
chadk -

Oh, and... I am saddened that no one commented on my Andy Ruiz - Joe Hipp comparison. Am I the only one who remembers him?

I remember seldon put on a jab clinic against hipp. Literally won every round with just the jab. That’s why I sometimes lean into ‘fighters were better back then’ 

i see others with that argument. But it’s along the lines of guys then would just ‘kill’ everyone. Nah, when you see how good fundamentally even a 2nd tier fighter like seldon was. You see the difference. How seldon looked in that fight is probably how Joshua thought he was looking. 

That fight was on the undercard of Tyson’s return iirc

12/18/19 11:51 PM
9/19/12

Was it Joe Hipp that used to tout the fact he was the first Native American Indian to win a world title?  Some WB something belt.

12/18/19 11:55 PM
7/2/07
I remember Joe Hipp.
12/19/19 12:03 AM
7/2/07
pharochuck - 
chadk -
Barry_BondsMVP -
Bukkaked by Bombers -

What are your guys thoughts on Tyson fury changing camps before the wilder fight?  

He’s with Manny’s Steward’s nephew, so I’m expecting a lot of jabs by Fury in the Wilder rematch. 

If there's one bad thing Kronk fighters were known for, it was being vulnerable to overhand rights.

Because for some reason they all brought the left back low. I remember reading that in ring magazine a million years ago 

Occasionally if I had a beer or 2 before sparring at an MMA gym I would emulate that Kronx or Tommy Hearns carrying g the left low.

The coach used to cuss boxes for carrying hands low and " show boating " so sometimes I thought it was fun to do it and neutralize people with a jab from that position.

I imagined I moved like Tommy Hearns when it was probably more like The fridge.
12/19/19 1:01 AM
1/1/01
Stern -
pharochuck -
chadk -

I remember seldon put on a jab clinic against hipp. Literally won every round with just the jab. That’s why I sometimes lean into ‘fighters were better back then’ 

i see others with that argument. But it’s along the lines of guys then would just ‘kill’ everyone. Nah, when you see how good fundamentally even a 2nd tier fighter like seldon was. You see the difference. How seldon looked in that fight is probably how Joshua thought he was looking. 

Yep and seldon literally went out and laid down against Tyson. I’ll never not believe he didn’t lay down 

12/19/19 2:56 AM
12/30/12
Randy Watson -

Was it Joe Hipp that used to tout the fact he was the first Native American Indian to win a world title?  Some WB something belt.

He was the first Native American to fight for the world heavyweight title when he fought Bruce Seldon and got his face jabbed off

12/19/19 2:59 AM
12/30/12
pharochuck -
Stern -
pharochuck -
chadk -

Yep and seldon literally went out and laid down against Tyson. I’ll never not believe he didn’t lay down 

Yeah that was pretty fucking terrible. I remember Bruce’s manager saying he had a nervous breakdown in the ring.

12/19/19 12:59 PM
1/13/10

Usyk v Chisora is being eyed for March 

Edited: 12/19/19 2:17 PM
7/5/03
As expected Chavez Jr. came in overweight. He was 5lbs over and the bout was in danger of being called off. Jacobs agreed to a bout at 173lbs. Chavez will be giving Jacobs a good portion of his purse. Chavez should just move up to heavyweight already
12/19/19 3:08 PM
1/12/05

Joe Hipp was a tough dude. 

I'm very interested to see if Usyk has a HW punch and chin. The skill is there. Chisora's a good opponent to gauge where he is. 

12/19/19 4:12 PM
1/13/10

12/19/19 10:39 PM
5/13/10

Excited for the boxing in Japan, 23rd day there is Ryota Murata, Akira Yaegashi and Chocolatito fighting (altough Chocolatito's opponent is quite obscure...), Kosei Tanaka is fighting in the new years eve too

Should be some exciting bouts there!

12/19/19 11:12 PM
7/2/07
Heikki Mustola - 

Excited for the boxing in Japan, 23rd day there is Ryota Murata, Akira Yaegashi and Chocolatito fighting (altough Chocolatito's opponent is quite obscure...), Kosei Tanaka is fighting in the new years eve too

when are these fights ?
12/19/19 11:13 PM
7/2/07
Barry_BondsMVP - 

Is it just the hair > But JCC JR looks different than I remember.
12/19/19 11:18 PM
1/1/01
Man I hope Jacobs beats his ass.
12/20/19 12:06 AM
5/13/10
williepep -
Heikki Mustola - 

when are these fights ?

https://www.badlefthook.com/pages/boxing-television-schedule-dazn-espn-showtime-fox-ppv-fs1-sky-sports

12/20/19 12:42 PM
5/12/03

Chavez Jr is the Hunter Biden of the boxing world. 

12/20/19 1:17 PM
1/10/13
Stern -
pharochuck -
chadk -

I was at the Tyson-McNeely fight. I never liked Seldon and was hoping Hipp could catch him woth something to pull off the upset. The jab that Seldon was snapping that fight was incredible. I was sitting only a couple of rows up off the floor during that fight. Hipp had no chance that night. The jab that Seldon showed that night was as good as any I've ever seen, and that includes Larry Holmes. 

Other than both carried extra amounts of bodyfat Ruiz and Hipp are quite different.  The obvious difference is Joe was a southpaw. Andy is much better in every area. He was much better technically, had much faster hands and was a bigger puncher. 

12/20/19 2:33 PM
1/13/10

On DAZN tonight, JCC v Jacobs 

12/20/19 6:50 PM
7/2/07
Barry_BondsMVP - 

On DAZN tonight, JCC v Jacobs 

Will likely try to give this a look

Worth watching or a waste ?
12/20/19 10:31 PM
7/2/07

Crawford in the arena.
12/20/19 10:33 PM
7/2/07

Call me nuts but Chavez Jr eyes in the dressing room look like a guy hyped up on something.
12/20/19 10:35 PM
7/2/07
Martinez fun to watch.