UnderGround Forums Stoked for this week's Invict....er... UFC card!

9/16/19 6:45 AM
4/21/12

The World’s #1 MMA Promotion  travels to Mexico City this week and is serving up a fight card packed with high octane WMMA matchups! Fortunately it doesn’t conflict with any WNBA pre-season games, so I’m down for this and I’m sure most of you are, too!

Check it out:

Main Card:

Co-Main Event! Carla Esparza (14-6) vs. Alexa Grasso (11-2)! These gals each look to build on their 1-fight winning streaks in a battle between #8 and #9. The last time either of them had a win by finish was 2014, so they’re waaaaaaay overdue! Expect 15 minutes of explosive WMMA action in this one and be pleasantly surprised if the ref calls a stop to the fight!

Irene Aldana (10-5) vs. Vanessa Melo (10-5). Aldana tries to get back in the Win column as she puts her #10 ranking on the line against late replacement Melo, who is fresh off a big win over a chick with an 11-13 record and is making her UFC debut. Melo had a finish just 4 years ago, and yet the oddsmakers have somehow made Aldana a -470 favorite in this one! Aldana has finishes over UFC vets Bethe Correia and Jessamyn Duke. Don’t blink during this one. It’s ending early*! (*before midnight)

Prelims:

Angela Hill (9-7) vs. Ariane Carnelossi (12-1). Hill, 1-3 in her last 4, looks to build momentum against this UFC newcomer. Carnelossi’s 12 wins include 7 against chicks with losing records or who were making their pro debut, but the oddsmakers can tell she’s a diamond in the rough and have installed her at near-pick’ em odds of +120. If I was a betting guy I’d bet on this one being Total Chick-on-Chick Fireworks!

Sijara Eubanks (4-3) vs. Bethe Correia (10-4-1). In their combined 22 fights, these two gals have managed to finish a grand total of 4 opponents. Don’t let that fool you. This is a matchup of the #14 and #15 ranked Bantamweights, so anything can happen and probably will! 

9/16/19 8:18 AM
4/2/11

Good thing is lot of boy fights in between the action. It'll give me time to run by pier one imports and I gotta go to TJ max and return a blouse! 

9/16/19 2:12 PM
6/27/02

Did Trump put entertainment tariffs on Mexico until they pay for the wall or something?

9/16/19 2:15 PM
6/5/12

hahahah great post vtfu

some gauranteed razor thin decisions with very little damage inflicted on the horizon!

9/16/19 3:51 PM
4/9/16

Great, great post.  Literally LOL'd at a couple of the breakdowns.  VU. 

9/16/19 4:27 PM
11/10/18

Lol great summary of just how shitty these fights really are.

9/16/19 6:48 PM
1/22/19

It's so obvious WMMA only serves the purpose of filling cards up on a budget now.  The Rousey Experiment failed and UFC found out that people did not care about WMMA after they saw that Rousey could not beat up Floyd Mayweather and had no super powers.   Now, the UFC just does not care about quality cards and selling PPV's because the ESPN+ deal automatically gaurantees them big bucks without having to do squat.

9/16/19 6:58 PM
8/5/13

This card will be both stunning and brave. Always speak your truth UFC.

9/16/19 7:00 PM
8/19/03

Haha good shit.  Truth hurts!

8 days ago
4/21/12

With the LPGA tour off the air until sometime next year (I think), the UFC is looking to corner the market on women's sports fans this weekend, offering up a card that features 3 chick fights out of 12 total. And 2 of those fights are on the main card! Come on, UFC, some of us can't stay up that late no matter how tasty those main card offerings are! 

This week’s UFC main card features an Overeem vs. Rozenstruik main event and another battle o’ the big men pitting Struve and Rothwell. Sandwiched between those two matchups is a co-main that’s got us WMMA fans drooling with anticipation: Cynthia Calvillo (8-1) vs. Marina Rodriguez (12-0-1).

Calvillo earned her co-main spot with a scintillating UD win over Cortney Casey back in February. (Cortney sports an 8-7 record, and with her loss against Calvillo she dropped to 4-6 in UFC.) Calvillo is on a 2-fight win streak after a razor-close UD loss to Carla Esparza back in 2017.

Rodriguez comes in hot off a pair of UD thrillers against Tecia “T Rex” Torres and Jessica Aguilar (both of whom are 1-4 over their last 5) and a majority draw against Randa Markos (2-2-1 over her last 5).

The oddsmakers say this one is pretty much a pick ‘em fight, with Rodriguez a slender -125 favorite.

In other main card action, Aspen Ladd (8-1) looks to rebound from her 16-second KTFO at the hands of Germaine de Randamie as she takes on Yana Kunitskaya (12-4). Yana is on a 2-fight winning streak (both UDs, of course) after a 1st round beatdown at the hands of Cris Cyborg in her UFC debut. Aspen has only gone to a decision twice in her career, both times against Sijara Eubanks. This one’s looking like it could be fireworks! Aspen is a modest -155 favorite. 

In the prelims, WMMA fans will get to whet their appetites with the Virna Jandiroba (14-1) vs. Mallory Martin (6-2) matchup. Virna got off to a rough start in her only previous UFC fight, dropping a UD to Carla Esparza, but she’s finished 11 of her opponents, all by submission. The oddsmakers have installed her as a strong -265 favorite. Mallory makes her UFC debut in this fight. I’m sure WMMA fans already know that she is the only chick Maycee Barber couldn’t finish, taking Barber to a hard-fought UD when they were both in LFA. In this contest between a chick who loves to hunt for submissions and a gal who has never been finished, something’s gotta give! 

WMMA: Catch The Fever!

8 days ago
12/18/15

Lol funny but true, dont know how anyone can defend it.

6 days ago
4/21/12

Nice job, Cynthia Calvillo, missing weight by 4.5 pounds. Ladies and gentlemen: This is the Co-Main Event of the Evening (in Buffer's phony voice).

That makes 2 of her last 3 fights where she missed weight. She missed by *only* 2 pounds last time. 

6 days ago
4/21/12

Bloodyelbow.com says Calvillo is forfeiting 30% of her purse. Based on her last reported pay she's losing more than $12,000. Maybe the penalty is based on how badly you miss weight, or how often you miss?

Matt Sayles, who missed by 2.5 pounds, is giving up 20%.