UnderGround Forums Sugar Ray Leonard was one bad, bad man

5 days ago
1/1/01

Sometimes I forget how good SRL was in his prime - world titles in 5 different weight divisions...
5 days ago
8/11/12

I really dislike SRL but the man was an excellent boxer, very skilled fighter. The white dude was game as fuck, no shame in losing to a great like sugar ray.

5 days ago
8/26/13

Good comeback. It's not easy to comeback after a right cross knock down. Leonard has great heart and hand speed. 

Edited: 5 days ago
12/7/14

that was well past his prime, too.  For a 'pretty boy' type known for speed and skill, he really could get in there and mix it up when he had to.  It's fun to watch him when he senses the finish, like the end here and the first Hearns fight. 

It was sad to see him go out there vs. Camacho as a shell of himself.

5 days ago
1/1/01

Very special boxer. A joy to watch.

5 days ago
5/29/11

Leonard was my favorite fighter growing up, even had a pair of "official" Sugar Ray Leonard boxing gloves.  He had some of the most epic fights in boxing history with Duran, Hagler and Hearns.  That weight class in the early 80's was so stacked.

5 days ago
7/4/03
doesn't get the credit for how tough he was as a fighter... his style and personality were not indicative of what a tough sob he was in the ring... though he lost a decision, stood toe-to-toe with a prime lightweight duran... and his welterweight comeback victory over hearns... guts!!!
5 days ago
3/5/14

Damn you could see him switch up to that next gear once he smelled blood in the water went for that first knock down.  The lethality of his follow up flurry to end it was on point. 

5 days ago
1/1/01

I remember watchin this fight with my dad. Did not expect Lalonde to be so tough, but father time is undefeated and SRL was just a shell of himself by this comeback. Great fights with Benitez, Duran, Hagler, Hearns....the good ole days.

Edited: 5 days ago
11/20/08

Sugar Ray is amazing! He looks unimposing but his skills, technique and suprisingly, toughness is impressive!

5 days ago
1/22/05
Sugar Ray was fighting past his prime here in a weight class he didn't belong and Dalonde was the much bigger fighter. Still great tenacity by Sugar Ray and still had that killer instinct when it was go time.

He should have retired after the Hagler win. He had nothing left to prove.
5 days ago
1/1/01

ttt

5 days ago
9/13/16
he lost to hagler IMO. i'd be a bigger fan of SRL if the judges didn't fuck up that decision.
5 days ago
1/1/01
tapnaporsnapbro - he lost to hagler IMO. i'd be a bigger fan of SRL if the judges didn't fuck up that decision.

Why would your opinion of SRL degrade because of what you believe to be three judges' mistake?

Edited: 4 days ago
1/1/01

Ray was a killer but the baby face personna dimmed the public's perception of that part of his excellence.  He was getting outboxed by Hearns and switched to a slugger role and started walking down one of the biggest hitters at 147 in history.......and got it done.

Duran beating that ass is one of my favorite fights to rewatch, even though I was an SRL fan at the time.

4 days ago
3/20/15
That lost to Marvin Hagler.......
4 days ago
5/11/08

The Golden Boy! I remember how big a deal this fight was here in Winnipeg, where Lalonde is from. I was just a kid but remember seeing him training on the local.news almost every day.

Edited: 4 days ago
11/5/16
Samoa -
tapnaporsnapbro - he lost to hagler IMO. i'd be a bigger fan of SRL if the judges didn't fuck up that decision.

Why would your opinion of SRL degrade because of what you believe to be three judges' mistake?

Actually one judges mistake Jo Jo Guerra kept Hagler from retaining his belts. He scored the 9 th for Leonard , it was Hagler’s most dominant rd of the entire fight.... utter horseshit!!!

4 days ago
1/1/01

He was my favorite growing up. 

4 days ago
1/1/01
PeterNorth - 
Samoa -

Actually one judges mistake Jo Jo Guerra kept Hagler from retaining his belts. He scored the 9 th for Leonard , it was Hagler’s most dominant rd of the entire fight.... utter horseshit!!!

If one judge got one round wrong and it decided the fight, that decision is a close decision.  Not a bad one and definitely not a robbery.