UnderGround Forums The Karate Hottie vs Yasuko Tamada, age 47 ugh!

9/9/14 11:12 PM
3/2/11

Where was this event, what Carny ridden commission sanctioned this fight and didn't get an accurate age?

Edited: 9/9/14 11:16 PM
3/2/11

It was in Kansas City, Misouri. 

I'm sure some pros on here might know that particular AC, they dropped the ball as much as Invicta for approving that match, unless they don't scrutinize the matches and you could have a Senior fight a kangaroo.

Clown show.

Are we gonna get a Roger Goodell, "We had not seen her age at the time...."?

9/9/14 11:18 PM
3/24/10
ChaosOverkill - 

Where was this event, what Carny ridden commission sanctioned this fight and didn't get an accurate age?

The commission got Tamada's accurate age and Invicta had her accurate age but Invicta decided to hide it.
9/10/14 12:20 AM
6/5/05
LOL at those screen shots. That's shameful.
9/10/14 1:47 AM
1/1/01
Shameful matchmaking.

Come on, Invicta.
9/10/14 1:50 AM
6/5/05
Musashi - Shameful?

Tamada is a veteran who had never been finished. Even Couture couldn't claim that and he was almost a year older than her in his last fight.

Some of you are laughable.
Shameful that they hid the age. I cant comment on the match up since i dont know anything about 105lb wmma. They never hid coutures age....they touted it. Phone Post 3.0
9/10/14 2:29 AM
12/5/13
Musashi - Shameful?

Tamada is a veteran who had never been finished. Even Couture couldn't claim that and he was almost a year older than her in his last fight.

Couture wasn't fighting a young champion on an impressive win streak. He was fighting someone coming off of 2 losses. And he got KO'd (I think it was knock out of the year). And there's a 20 year age difference between Michelle & Tamada.

You're saying Tamada has never been finished, but what does that even mean? Just because she can take a shot, do you think that means she's not sustaining brain damage?
Edited: 9/10/14 3:22 AM
12/5/13
I don't think it's disingenuous to say that it's incomparable. So best case: Lyoto barely edged Rampage, and what happened in the fight before that? He got knocked out. He was coming off of 2 bad performances before he fought Randy. And Randy had already proven time and again that he was capable of remaining competitive against high level competition (despite his age). Going into that fight, Lyoto was coming off of 2 losses and Randy was coming off of 3 wins.

Here's my point about the headshots: the fact that she was never finished doesn't mean shit. During the fight, one of the commentators said she was known for her ability to absorb punishment (which was clearly on display in that fight), so it was wrong of you to assume that never getting KO'd translated to good technique or good defense.

Edit - just to expand on that, the Waterson / Tamada fight was stopped early. Like, I just watched the replay, and Michelle didn't TKO her. I mean, we all know the stoppage was good because Tamada was getting beat the fuck down, but like I said, the fact that she has never been finished doesn't mean anything. You can't use that to justify this matchup.
9/10/14 3:57 AM
3/14/11
Did the matchup suck? Obviously. But for the first broadcast, on a new media provider (fightpass) they wanted there face of the company to fight and that's just smart. It sucks everyone turned her down for fights but if you want her on the card your gonna eventually have to ask someone who will say yes, and usually that's a journeyman (woman?) who usually had as many losses as wins. Everyone saw the. Way waterson destroyed her and interest is up. So the planned goal was attained. Now it's on invicta to find legit contenders. Phone Post 3.0
9/10/14 2:13 PM
3/2/11
Decimated - Has anyone considered that maybe Tamada wants to keep her age secret as well? More so than anybody in this circumstance!
I've read stories of minor actresses and models lying about their age because if it was revealed that they were in fact, say their mid to late 30s, their gigs would dry up because agents only want young meat.

Tomada has the greatest reason to keep her age secret otherwise promoters might get squeamish about giving her fights. That would reduce her fights and therefore reduce her MONEY. Phone Post 3.0

Theres a reason commissions consider age in the equation, there's one other 47 year old top level fighter that fought in the top level of MMA at that age in the current sanctioning environment Randy. They have factored age into boxing for years, it adds extra scrutiny, because usually means wear, it's not the only factor but there is a reason that accurate age is important, then from there they take it case by case. for every Hopkins, there are tons you don't hear about they refuse to let fight opponents they deem too dangerous.

I'll delegate to Musashi's opinion on this, he makes a point, but it's not an automatic that you just let a 47 year old fight a top level champ.

9/10/14 2:17 PM
1/1/01
They coulda done the Marco Ruas Jungle Man Mystery Age "???" for the age field.
9/10/14 2:26 PM
1/1/01
Shame for JMMA again that as WMMA is taking off, one of the WMMA greats in Fujii has already retired.
9/10/14 2:26 PM
1/1/01
Decimated - Has anyone considered that maybe Tamada wants to keep her age secret as well? More so than anybody in this circumstance!
I've read stories of minor actresses and models lying about their age because if it was revealed that they were in fact, say their mid to late 30s, their gigs would dry up because agents only want young meat.

Tomada has the greatest reason to keep her age secret otherwise promoters might get squeamish about giving her fights. That would reduce her fights and therefore reduce her MONEY. Phone Post 3.0

lmao at this.
9/10/14 2:27 PM
1/1/01
Musashi - 
JimmersonzGlove - 
Musashi - Shameful?

Shameful that they hid the age. I cant comment on the match up since i dont know anything about 105lb wmma. They never hid coutures age....they touted it. Phone Post 3.0

The UFC hid Marco Ruas' age @ UFC 7. That's because Marco was private about it. Same with Yamada. I don't see the problem. Yes, it was mismatch, but it wasn't as bad as many, many matches I have seen. And yeah, she's old, but older people have competed and been beaten more soundly with no back lash.

A "???" and a fake age are kinda diff though.
9/10/14 2:30 PM
3/1/10
If age isn't an issue, why hide it in the pre-fight graphics?

Verification of age is required to be licensed to fight in KC, is it not?

Invicta absolutely knew of Tamada's age. They made a conscious decision to try and hide it from the audience. One has to wonder what their motivations were for doing so.

It always makes me laugh when promoters try and pull shit like this.
9/10/14 2:34 PM
12/15/00

Rumor has it the champ's next opponent has been announced: 

9/10/14 2:56 PM
1/1/01
VTCO - If age isn't an issue, why hide it in the pre-fight graphics?

Invicta absolutely knew of Tamada's age. They made a conscious decision to try and hide it from the audience. One has to wonder what their motivations were for doing so.

Reminds me of the early days in announcing so and so judoka as a "Judo Champion!" Champ at what? local high school regionals? Olympics? kinda matters what.
9/10/14 3:03 PM
7/25/09
ryanJ - 

Waterson vs Granny only on Fight Pass!

Michelle is young, hungry, and fired up about the ugly Christmas sweater she received 20 years ago, but Granny knows everything there is to know about.. everything.
9/10/14 3:36 PM
8/10/05
ryanJ - 

Hey, if she doesn't want people to know her age, and she's won at least 3 of her last 7, why not? The UFC did this many years ago, so it should be allowed.

In fact, maybe they can even set up the fight using a cage that's surrounded by a moat that's filled with alligators.

9/10/14 6:03 PM
1/18/04
This is referred to in prowrestling as a squash match.

9/10/14 6:06 PM
11/24/11
ryanJ - 

haha
Edited: 9/11/14 9:26 AM
3/11/12
VTCO - If age isn't an issue, why hide it in the pre-fight graphics?

Because there is a double standard for women when it comes to age.

Randy Couture fights at age 48.   Former champ.  Finished a few times.   People celebrate it.  Go Randy!

Yasuko Tamada fights at age 47.  Former champ.  NEVER finshed (in more fights than Randy ever had).   People say she should never have been in the cage:  "BOO, HISS!  Go back to the old folks home grandma!"

Bunch of ageist, sexist people everywhere.   No wonder she wanted to hide her age.   Don't blame her for a second.   I agree with Invicta hiding the age.

9/11/14 9:53 AM
12/24/10
I'm pretty sure Tamada knew how old she was and how big of an age difference existed and took the fight anyway. If anything the blame is on her management. Shady to be hiding it during the intro though. Phone Post 3.0
9/11/14 10:23 AM
1/1/01
is anyone seriously surprized that Invicta might be trying to protect Waterson a bit?
Edited: 9/11/14 11:31 AM
8/10/05
Not only did Tamada win only 3 out of her last 7 fights before getting a title shot, but one of her last 3 wins was against someone who has a record of 12W 24L (Seki)!

And even previous opponents/records aside, LOL @ comparing Tamada to Randy Couture. Even if you can somehow argue Randy should have never been in there at the same age, at least he had a huge name. Putting Tamada in there was nothing more than desperate matchmaking.