UnderGround Forums The UFC has become garbage.

Edited: 6 days ago
10/1/19

Not enough names on the cards, fights just aren't entertaining anymore, not really any stars in the promotion, compared to some years back. Yeah im pretty sad about the whole ordeal and hope they bounces back. But what a fucking atrocious product the last 2 years.

Strikeforce was waaay better, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myc1QflCyss

6 days ago
6/17/16

The good fights are still good but there has definitely been a slow but steady erosion of quality overall since the property was sold.

WME/ IMG are not very good owners they seem to make all of their decisions based around their bottome line which is unsurprising when you read about how heavily leveraged they are. They owe a lot of money and it seems to affect their ability to do the right thing.

6 days ago
6/17/16

It's not just the UFC that has gone downhill.

Strikeforce was decent but Bellator under Coker is absolutely terrible.

Bjorn Rebney did 1000x better job at building a legitimate fight promotion.

Asian MMA is also pretty laughable these days.

The UFC is by far the best we have still even if it is only half as good as it was a few years ago.

6 days ago
7/14/10

I pretty much stopped watching years ago. Would catch a fight on a stream here and there ( conor for example ) but i can't remember the last time i watched a full card. Even when it was on FOX.

Especially now, I dropped ESPN a while ago so no views from me. ill catch a recap on a sports site / blog if i want to see anything with a fighter i generally like.

10/1/19
Target_the_Gash -

The good fights are still good but there has definitely been a slow but steady erosion of quality overall since the property was sold.

WME/ IMG are not very good owners they seem to make all of their decisions based around their bottome line which is unsurprising when you read about how heavily leveraged they are. They owe a lot of money and it seems to affect their ability to do the right thing.

I think WME's vision of the company is completely different than what the ESPN guys want.

They obviously think they can make the UFC a machine like the NFL, without ever thinking about the fact that people watch NFL because it's a team sport, that wont necessarily be the case in terms of UFC. Combat sports are just viewed differently in this country, therefor even the way they promote it and there socalled "future stars" is wrong as well in entirety.

WME/Endavour going public right now, might be the worst time for any company to go public, since I dont think the shares are worth that much at this moment.

Instead of shooting 1 leg off and walking to the race line, the UFC/WME have actually shot both feet off with a shotgun and are now limping on the stumps to the finish line.

10/1/19
Target_the_Gash -

The UFC is by far the best we have still even if it is only half as good as it was a few years ago.

Bellator under Scott Coker is great, you have no idea what you are talking about, they haven't had that high a TV rating before and they have never had that many names/stars.

Bellator is doing 25 shows this year, that's more shows than they ever done, to show you the magnitude of the whole thing.

Bjorn Robney is the biggest moron in MMA, I think you really need to learn about what you are talking about before saying shit like that. Because it's simply not true, trust me Spike didn't want Bjorn either, he was super unlikeable.

Scott is making 138 million dollars JUST with the money from DAZN, + the fact that he's getting money from Viacom as well.

Bellator was a bum company when Bjorn Rebney ran it, facts.

10/1/19

http://mmapayout.com/2017/03/bellator-173-peaks-at-856000-viewers/ Here is a link that will explain the ratings and why Bellator in the recent years have never stood stronger. This is from 17 so pardon me.

Even though ratings dont really matter for the organization since DAZN is whats most important.

Not bad when the company can give a shit about TV ratings since they almost lives off DAZN.

6 days ago
6/17/16
DarthBader -
Target_the_Gash -

Bellator under Scott Coker is great, you have no idea what you are talking about, they haven't had that high a TV rating before and they have never had that many names/stars.

Bellator is doing 25 shows this year, that's more shows than they ever done, to show you the magnitude of the whole thing.

Bjorn Robney is the biggest moron in MMA, I think you really need to learn about what you are talking about before saying shit like that. Because it's simply not true, trust me Spike didn't want Bjorn either, he was super unlikeable.

Scott is making 138 million dollars JUST with the money from DAZN, + the fact that he's getting money from Viacom as well.

I am willing to consider the possibility that Coker is starting to heed the many complaints of many complainy fans and turn the ship around. I have seen some signs that they are trying to get away from pointless freakshow fights between 50 year olds. Still though we just had another MVP vs. (insert tomato can here) and a few others that I'm too lazy to go look up right now.

Being a legitimate promotion means that you do your best to always book competitive fights.

Just my own personal opinion though the last 4-5 times I've tuned in for Bellator fights I have been pretty underwhelmed. To each their own. I've been watching MMA steadily for 24 years, lots of small promotions, and that is just the impression that I usually walk away with. I hope they do find a way to turn it around, Strikeforce was pretty decent, even Strikeforce Challengers had some good talent that came up there. It wasn't better than the UFC but it was much much better than anything Bellator has ever managed to put together.

6 days ago
8/2/11

Zzzzz boring. Go watch another sport cunt

6 days ago
2/24/05

I just watch the highlights now. 

6 days ago
10/1/19

Turn the ship around? Dude, they are making 138 million dollars just alone in the streaming deal, your personal opinion on whether they are doing good or bad is irrelevant, when it's a fact that the company has never in it's living stood stronger. They are the 2nd biggest MMA organization by far. That's not even debatable. Pointless freakshows? Dude last time they had Pitbull, McKee, Archuleta, WEichel, Caldwell, Mousasi, Lyoto. It honestly sounds like you never really seen the product since the Kimbo - Shamrock fight.

That MVP fight was made by their UK matchmaker (Jude Samuel), not Yang who is the matchmaker in the states, you cant blame that on a entire company.  But i agree Jude Samuel is a shitty matchmaker and their Europe cards could be WAAAY better.

Strikeforce was definitely better than the UFC, you ever seen their cards? You ever seen what the UFC was putting on in terms of shows to compete?

It doesn't really sound like you know alot about Bellator honestly, sounds more like you are trying to undermine them to keep your own agenda alive. Which is kinda sad. But hey whatever floats your boat, but trust me with the UFC you are in for a shit show the next 2 years.

Masvidal who got beat by both Larkin and Henderson and Diaz who got beat by Henderson, lmao and you guys talk about Bellator cans, your baddest mofo fight is literally consisting of cans.

6 days ago
6/17/16
DarthBader -
Target_the_Gash -

I've heard a lot of bad things about Bjorn but I think he did some things well. He managed to grow a lot of his own talent, wasn't big on recycling old fighters just because they had some notoriety. He also managed to maintain a fairly coherent tournament structure. It was easy to tell who the champs were and who the contenders were. Stars Bjorn created at Bellator are still Bellator's best legitimate homegrown assets. Coker has managed to bring in quite a few aging stars or ex-UFC fighters but not much new talent has come up under him. I don't know what his plans for the future are, Bellator seems to lack direction and structure. Even the tournaments that everybody was hyped about haven't cleared stuff up. 

6 days ago
6/17/16
DarthBader -

Turn the ship around? Dude, they are making 138 million dollars just alone in the streaming deal, your personal opinion on whether they are doing good or bad is irrelevant, when it's a fact that the company has never in it's living stood stronger. They are the 2nd biggest MMA organization by far. That's not even debatable. Pointless freakshows? Dude last time they had Pitbull, McKee, Archuleta, WEichel, Caldwell, Mousasi, Lyoto. It honestly sounds like you never really seen the product since the Kimbo - Shamrock fight.

That MVP fight was made by their UK matchmaker (Jude Samuel), not Yang who is the matchmaker in the states, you cant blame that on a entire company.  But i agree Jude Samuel is a shitty matchmaker and their Europe cards could be WAAAY better.

Strikeforce was definitely better than the UFC, you ever seen their cards? You ever seen what the UFC was putting on in terms of shows to compete?

It doesn't really sound like you know alot about Bellator honestly, sounds more like you are trying to undermine them to keep your own agenda alive. Which is kinda sad. But hey whatever floats your boat, but trust me with the UFC you are in for a shit show the next 2 years.

Masvidal who got beat by both Larkin and Henderson and Diaz who got beat by Henderson, lmao and you guys talk about Bellator cans, your baddest mofo fight is literally consisting of cans.

You are correct, it's my opinion. It matters to me, it encapsulates how I feel about this subject. I have reasons for feeling the way I do and I articulated them. If you don't agree, that's fine.

That is how debates work, nothing to get worked up over. We can agree to disagree. You can be Bellator's biggest fan, I can feel like their content isn't good enough to even waste the energy to pirate it.

6 days ago
7/18/11

Is flyweight still a thing in the UFC?

6 days ago
1/10/13
Target_the_Gash -

I agree about Bellator. I live a few miles from Pechanga and had free tickets for friday nights fights and passed on it. I have been to many Bellator cards, but they are the most boring and uneventful events I've been at. On top of it all too many of their fights have such suspicious endings that I can't help but question the integrity of the promotion. They promoted too closely with "fake" wrestling for a legitimate sport.

6 days ago
1/23/06
They have the pieces to the puzzle, but don't always arrange them in a manner that makes sense to create stories, rivalries and push divisions forward. At some point during the exodus of Joe Silva and Lorenzo Ferttita, managers and fighters started calling the shots way too much. In the past it was always the best fight the best and UFC decides the matchups, now too many of these guys aren't only trying to leverage and play matchmaker, sometimes they actually are. Fighters and managers should have a say, it just shouldn't be this much or less noticeable.
6 days ago
10/8/07
MMA was easier to follow 10 years ago, there's no question about it. But on a fight by fight basis, MMA has never been better. The global MMA scene has never been stronger. The skill level has never been higher. Fights like Riddell/Mullarkey on the prelims would have been considered classics if they happened in 2006. Now 4 days later you probably already forgot it happened.

The problem is there's too many names/fights for the average fan to keep up with. It takes time and effort that most people are simply not willing to allocate to a sport, and that's perfectly fine. But it doesn't mean the UFC is garbage. It's just different. Familiarize yourself with some new fighters instead of looking for the same names over and over again.
6 days ago
1/23/06
caposa - MMA was easier to follow 10 years ago, there's no question about it. But on a fight by fight basis, MMA has never been better. The global MMA scene has never been stronger. The skill level has never been higher. Fights like Riddell/Mullarkey on the prelims would have been considered classics if they happened in 2006. Now 4 days later you probably already forgot it happened.

The problem is there's too many names/fights for the average fan to keep up with. It takes time and effort that most people are simply not willing to allocate to a sport, and that's perfectly fine. But it doesn't mean the UFC is garbage. It's just different. Familiarize yourself with some new fighters instead of looking for the same names over and over again.

Good post. I still believe there's this trend where fighters are always talking about competing up in rank, when the UFC was built by fighters like Chuck Liddell taking on Babalu at the time Chuck had already secured the title shot with a 6 fight UFC win streak. Obviously the financial stakes are more today and all that.
5 days ago
1/27/12

This is good advice for someone like me.  I am a hardcore fan, and agree with the OP, but yeah I should maybe look at the UFC differently to find a different appreciation for it.

I think what has been lost is the drive to win purely for the sake of competition, and.to represent one's art/gym/dojo.  That can never be recovered.

5 days ago
7/18/11
caposa - MMA was easier to follow 10 years ago, there's no question about it. But on a fight by fight basis, MMA has never been better. The global MMA scene has never been stronger. The skill level has never been higher. Fights like Riddell/Mullarkey on the prelims would have been considered classics if they happened in 2006. Now 4 days later you probably already forgot it happened.

It helped that ten years ago, anything televised was on Spike TV or PPV. Now the fights are spread out all over the place and on apps that are known to be finicky or downright unreliable. 

5 days ago
1/1/01

MMA Went to shit since Bellator and UFC went to stream

5 days ago
3/21/12
I can't believe the Fertittas luck in getting out at just the right time with the peak of Conor.
5 days ago
6/30/11
SickEye -

Nope. MacKenzie dern moved to super heavyweight so they scrapped the division

5 days ago
2/15/11
DarthBader - 

Not enough names on the cards, fights just aren't entertaining anymore, not really any stars in the promotion, compared to some years back. Yeah im pretty sad about the whole ordeal and hope they bounces back. But what a fucking atrocious product the last 2 years.

Strikeforce was waaay better, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myc1QflCyss

OP... Record setting UFC 4 days ago. It was amazing.

Yes, there could be more star power on the fight night shows but to call the UFC garbage after this past weekend is a little much.
5 days ago
7/18/11
Song2 -
SickEye -

Nope. MacKenzie dern moved to super heavyweight so they scrapped the division

That’s funny...she feels like a flyweight when she sits on my face. 

*shrugs shoulders*