UnderGround Forums The time Philipe Lins' mom said quit MMA & he did

17 days ago
1/1/01

Philipe “Monstro” Lins started fighting in 2005, and by the next year he was  20 year old,  with a 4-0 recording including two wins over future UFC light heavyweight Antonio Mendes. However, he was making 50 bucks or less a fight. His mother didn't want him fighting, so he quit.

But he kept training in boxing and jiu-jitsu, and when a clip of Anderson Silva knocking out Vitor Belfort went viral, he returned to the cage and won three more. That got him signed by Bellator MMA, where he went 3-3. Then the PFL came calling.

“I started getting paid in dollars, making more money, got married, and was able to provide a better life to my family,” said Lins to Guilherme Cruz for MMA Fighting. “That’s when she started to accept the fact that I was a MMA fighter, that this would be my career. But she still doesn’t watch my fights, she only knows the result [laughs].”

Like so many other fighters debilitated by extreme weight cutting, Lins moved up a division, winning four in a row, and the 2018 PFL heavyweight tournament and its $1,000,000 prize.

The got Lins into the UFC, but he lost his debut to Andrei Arlovski via Unanimous Decision at UFC on ESPN+ 29 on May 13, 2020. Tonight he fights Tanner Boser on the main card of UFC on ESPN 12.

“The best way [to avoid a close loss] is to finish a fight and leave no doubts, not leave it in the hands of the judges,” said Lins very accurately. “I’ve fixed a few details, a few mistakes I did in the Arlovski fight, and I believe we’ll put on a great fight.

“I’ve watched his last fights and I know he’s a striker, he likes to throw kicks and box, to move around. I like to stand and trade, but if I have the opportunity to take him down and score points or submit if he makes a mistake, I’ll try that, too. I like to put on exciting fights, and that’s what I’ll do in this fight. It’s going to be a fun fight to watch.”

16 days ago
1/1/01
Blocked by X-Frame-Options Policy