UnderGround Forums The true GOAT list (top 25)

Edited: 4 days ago
1/23/06

1) Dan Henderson

2) Daniel Cormier

3) Randy Couture

4) Royce Gracie

5) Jon Jones

6) Anderson Silva

7) Georges St. Pierre

8) Matt Hughes

9) Wanderlei Silva

10) BJ Penn

11) Jose Aldo

12) Demetrious Johnson

13) Fedor Emelianenko

14) Conor McGregor

15) Dominick Cruz

16) Chuck Liddell

17) Tito Ortiz

18) Rich Franklin

19) Stipe Miocic

20) Frank Shamrock

21) Urijah Faber

22) Antonio Rodrigo Noguiera

23) Kazushi Sakuraba

24) Robbie Lawler

25) Michael Bisping

On their way or just outside top 25 - Ken Shamrock, Frankie Edgar, Max Holloway, Bas Rutten, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Tony Ferguson, TJ Dillashaw, Ben Askren, Eddie Alvarez, Fabricio Werdum, Lyoto Machida, Mark Coleman, Robert Whittaker, Tyron Woodley, Rampage Jackson, Mirko Filipovic, Chael Sonnen, Shogun Rua, Alistair Overeem, Frank Mir, Vitor Belfort, Takanori Gomi, etc.

This list gives weight and significance to dominance/excellence, competing in multiple weight classes, fighting through the tournament format, holding titles for multiple major organizations and competing in multiple eras.

You'll find that Dan Henderson is the top fighter all time, due to being a natural welterweight that holds wins over two legendary Heavyweights, Fedor Emelianenko and Antonio Rodrigo Noguiera. A Pride tournament Champion, UFC tournament Champion, Rings tournament Champion, Strikeforce Champion and multiple time UFC title challenger at multiple weight classes, through multiple eras. Wins over former UFC/Pride Champions Rich Franklin, Michael Bisping, Shogun Rua, Murilo Bustamante, Wanderlei Silva, Fedor Emelianenko, Vitor Belfort, Carlos Newton. The list of fighters to defeat him is also monumental. Hendo is GOAT

Edited: 6 days ago
1/23/06
6 days ago
8/26/10

Good list.  You added legitimacy by not including Askren in this list.  I came here expecting to see him quite high.  Happily surprised.  Good work Cre.

6 days ago
5/10/08

OP back to smokin crack

1/23/06

"OF ALL TIME"

Nobody stood the test of time greater than Dan Henderson. He fought them all, Cormier included and maintained a top 10 rank the longest, over 15+ years.

Most of these modern Lightweights are as big as him. He really wasn't much, if any larger than Khabib.

Remember Dan Henderson was a UFC Champion the first year of his career.

6 days ago
3/13/08
Decent list
6 days ago
2/14/11

6 days ago
3/7/05
Fedor at 13? Fuck off cretard.
6 days ago
1/23/06
bjws - 

Good list.  You added legitimacy by not including Askren in this list.  I came here expecting to see him quite high.  Happily surprised.  Good work Cre.

He could very easily make the top 20 before retiring with a stint in the UFC. UFC's Welterweight and Middleweight divisions currently feature Champions that he would give problems.
6 days ago
1/1/01
stopped reading after seeing your number 1.

Hendo is top 10, but no way is he number 1.
6 days ago
1/23/06
BigWilliam - Fedor at 13? Fuck off cretard.

He is the highest ranked Heavyweight on the list, other than Couture and Cormier who both also fought at Light Heavyweight.

Unfortunately Heavyweights can't really fight up in weight, although Fedor was a smaller Heavyweight his whole career. This is how it goes in boxing also, the smaller fighters that were able to captivate multiple divisions are ranked highest.
1/23/06
RKing85 - stopped reading after seeing your number 1.

Hendo is top 10, but no way is he number 1.

With consideration for complete body of work, I don't think anyone has accomplished more in terms of wins/losses against other greats, while competing up in weight, routinely under a tournament format.

For instance Hendo has competed against #2, #6, #9, #13, #18, #22, #25 on this list and multiple notables that would certainly be top 50 like Lyoto Machida, Shogun Rua, Vitor Belfort etc.

6 days ago
3/12/15

1. Conor McGregor 

2. Fedor

3. GSP

4. Anderson Silva

5. Jon Jones 

6. BJ Penn

7. Dan Henderson

8. Daniel Cormier 

9. Randy Couture

10. Jose Aldo

6 days ago
12/23/02

Dumbass of the year award with this list. You are number one moron dipshit of all times.

6 days ago
12/23/02

I am referring.to cretard just to be clear lol

1/23/06
ChimpFL - 

Dumbass of the year award with this list. You are number one moron dipshit of all times.

1/23/06

Before you question Bisping, remember that he has the most wins in UFC history, fought and won in a TUF tournament and everyone thought Luke Rockhold was unbeatable on the heels of smashing Weidman when Bisping bingoed him. 

6 days ago
2/14/11
CRE -
ChimpFL - 

Lol

1/23/06

Also of note, the top 3 of all time are all US Olympians, a real pinnacle of athletic accomplishment.

The female GOAT would be Ronda Rousey, another US Olympian. The WMMA divisions have not been around long enough to appropriately factor them into the equation.

Randy Couture successfully defended the UFC Heavyweight title at 44 years old. 

6 days ago
1/1/01
Generally a good list, but IMO Miocic, Faber and Lawler don't belong on there. I think I'd replace Stipe with Frank Mir. And Frank Shamrock should be higher than Tito. I'd probably put Rumino Sato and Takanori Gomi on the list instead of Faber and Lawler.
6 days ago
1/23/06
Sir Taps - Generally a good list, but IMO Miocic, Faber and Lawler don't belong on there. I think I'd replace Stipe with Frank Mir. And Frank Shamrock should be higher than Tito. I'd probably put Rumino Sato and Takanori Gomi on the list instead of Faber and Lawler.

Frank Shamrock didn't have the longevity that Tito did. Ortiz maintained activity, relevance and top rank throughout more eras.

Mir wasn't as excellent or dominant as Miocic. Mir did not defend successfully, although his first title reign and athletic prime was cut short and drastically altered with that motorcyle accident, which broke his femur.
6 days ago
1/23/06
Sir Taps - Generally a good list, but IMO Miocic, Faber and Lawler don't belong on there. I think I'd replace Stipe with Frank Mir. And Frank Shamrock should be higher than Tito. I'd probably put Rumino Sato and Takanori Gomi on the list instead of Faber and Lawler.

Robbie Lawler became UFC Champion 11+ years after his UFC debut and defended in two of the greatest fights in UFC history against two of the best, most dangerous Welterweights of all time Rory Macdonald and Carlos Condit. The Champion Lawler dethroned, Johny Hendricks had shown parity to GSP.

Lawler fought a full five rounds in 6 of his last 9 bouts.
6 days ago
1/23/06
1/23/06
5 days ago
7/2/07
Wrestlers in pictures all look more athletic /. muscular during their wrestling careers than in MMA time frame.