UnderGround Forums Time to reboard the Pico hype train!

5/1/18 9:51 PM
10/18/04
SinCityHustler - 
john thornton - How many times has he beat Retherford? 6 or 7?

Hmm, not sure. I stopped keeping count after 5. I used to have a running count of the take downs as well. I lost track of that too. It's currently at around 20-1 or so. That was quite the one sided series (can't call it rivalry).

I'm looking forward to this next bout. Pico is being active and exciting in his bouts. They're doing a good job of keeping him busy and getting him comfortable inside the cage. He's hardly spent any time in there thus far. I expect they up the level a bit next year. He should be feeling pretty comfortable in there with more mat cage time.

Crazy...
5/10/18 7:29 AM
1/1/01

5/10/18 1:39 PM
6/28/10
Tug Dabone -
BJ Penn Forever - Aaron Pico 2-1 vs Lee Morrison 19-8 set for Bellator 199.

Another killer opponent. His opponent's four fight win streak includes wins over guys with the following records:

• 0-10 (finished in all 10 fights)
  • 6-9
  • 6-35 (finished in all 35 fucking losses! This is not a typo.)
  • 2-10 (finished in all 10 losses)

yikes. I guess you can say he has a lot of cage experience at least.

5/12/18 11:18 PM
1/1/01
Don't worry, still time to reboard.
5/13/18 8:27 AM
1/1/01

5/13/18 8:37 AM
1/1/01

Pico- "If you ask Freddie Roach if I'm capable of becoming a world champ in boxing and MMA... I'm 100% confident he would say yes".

Crazy hearing that from a young MMA fighter who also happened to just barely miss the freestyle Olympic team as a nineteen year old kid.

Interesting to note his success in wrestling, boxing, and MMA is going to be limited only due to the fact that he can't really pursue them at the highest levels at the same time.

5/13/18 2:12 PM
9/27/15
Pico is really good..it's fun to watch him progress..who did he call out in the interview though?
5/13/18 4:06 PM
7/31/09
ons ear - Pico is really good..it's fun to watch him progress..who did he call out in the interview though?

Eeeverrryyyoooonnnneee

5/13/18 4:44 PM
9/2/10

He's obviously fighting jobbers but you can see he has the talent, at his age the sky is the limit.

5/13/18 11:45 PM
1/1/01
This kid is the complete talent and great person. He's got world champ written all over those wrestling and striking kills.
5/14/18 10:53 AM
1/1/01

McKee and Pico won't fight, pretty sure one of them said one of them will go to LW if they are both right there in the champ/#1 contender situation.

39-9 Daniel Weichel gets the next title shot vs Pitbull on July 14th.

Guarantee 17-3 Emmanuel Sanchez fights the winner (unless Weichel wins and they do rubber match), he just beat Sicilia, Straus, Galvao, and Karakhanyan.

Besides the champ and Weichel/Sanchez, there are only a few guys Pico and McKee gotta beat to be considered top contenders:

21-3 John Teixeira,
15-3 Henry Corrales,
24-8 Daniel Straus,
18-1 Juan Archuleta

McKee's whole 11-0 run has been in Bellator, not sure if his dad and Coker want him stepping up to someone like Corrales/Teixeira yet. Even if Pico wants to fight those guys next, I highly doubt his team wants him doing that quite yet either.
7/17/18 9:27 AM
1/1/01
Just keeping this thread in my subscriptions. Lets see what is next for Pico and McKee.

McKee vs Juan Archuleta or Daniel Weichel would be great.
7/17/18 3:24 PM
7/25/08
I worry about his defense a little bit. He sort of projects like a rich man's Justin Gaethje to me; a devastating offensive fighter, but a guy who can get hit.

He's the sort of guy who could have some headscratcher losses in his career, just because he's so focused on doing the hurting, and not enough on avoiding the getting hurt.
7/19/18 4:59 PM
1/1/01
McKee is fighting Curran on Sep 21st.
8/8/18 10:35 AM
1/1/01
Dillashaw was on Schaub's Below the Belt and Dillashaw said he feels Pico's boxing is even better than his wrestling. Said Pico will be world champ. Even more competitive than he is.
8/8/18 11:20 AM
1/1/01
Pico is listed as fighting TBA on the Mousasi MacDonald card.
8/15/18 2:12 PM
1/1/01
https://mmajunkie.com/2018/08/a-j-mckee-vs-john-teixeira-featherweight-bellator-205-boise

Pitbull is champ. Got a lot of miles on him.

Fights booked:
McKee vs Teixeira
Pico vs Higo
Caldwell vs Lahat

Caldwell wants the FW belt.

Caldwell, Pico and McKee coming after Pitbull's belt, we gonna see a couple big fights out of this one.

Max, Aldo and Edgar should be glad Bellator has money and those dudes are not coming for that UFC FW title.
9/24/18 1:56 PM
1/1/01
No odds up for the fight yet.
9/24/18 9:24 PM
1/1/01
BJ Penn Forever - https://mmajunkie.com/2018/08/a-j-mckee-vs-john-teixeira-featherweight-bellator-205-boise

Fights booked:
McKee vs Teixeira
Pico vs Higo
Caldwell vs Lahat

Caldwell, Pico and McKee coming after Pitbull's belt, we gonna see a couple big fights out of this one.

Max, Aldo and Edgar should be glad Bellator has money and those dudes are not coming for that UFC FW title.

I love this. Caldwell going to 145 makes it a real shark tank over there with the talent they have. I think Pico is destined for greatness and the addition of Caldwell makes things ultra interesting.
9/26/18 12:56 PM
1/1/01
Wow, Pico is a 6-1 favorite over Higo right now.

Higo is no bum, dropped a SD to Dantas for the title. Styles make fights but did not expect Pico do be such a huge favorite here, was thinking 3-1 or 4-1.
9/26/18 1:06 PM
1/1/01
SinCityHustler - 
BJ Penn Forever - https://mmajunkie.com/2018/08/a-j-mckee-vs-john-teixeira-featherweight-bellator-205-boise

Fights booked:
McKee vs Teixeira
Pico vs Higo
Caldwell vs Lahat

I love this. Caldwell going to 145 makes it a real shark tank over there with the talent they have. I think Pico is destined for greatness and the addition of Caldwell makes things ultra interesting.

Sure does, I'd like to see Pico get a couple more MMA fights before fighting Caldwell though, then again his hands are better than Caldwells, hopefully Pitbull beats Sanchez and then we get Pitbull vs McKee. Let Pico fight Sanchez if he gets by Higo on Saturday. Not sure about Caldwell.

Who will be the FW champ in a year? Pitbull, McKee, Caldwell, Pico.

To me it is as interesting as when Fedor, Crocop, Big Nog, and Barnett were all in their primes in Pride.
9/26/18 1:08 PM
6/27/05

Wooooot WoooooOoOoOoOt!!!!!

9/26/18 1:30 PM
4/21/12
BJ Penn Forever - Wow, Pico is a 6-1 favorite over Higo right now.

Higo is no bum, dropped a SD to Dantas for the title. Styles make fights but did not expect Pico do be such a huge favorite here, was thinking 3-1 or 4-1.

I agree Higo looks like a fairly solid fighter. His wins the past 3 or 4 years have been against guys with winning records, mostly on the minor league or regional circuits. (Pico's last opponent came in on a 3-fight winning streak that was built against guys with losing records.)

One minor nitpick: His fight against Dantas wasn't for the title. He was a late replacement for Darrion Caldwell and the fight was at a catchweight of 139 after he missed weight. His most recent fight, though, was against Caldwell for the Bantamweight title; he was subbed in the first round. 

9/26/18 1:44 PM
1/1/01
Tug Dabone - 

I agree Higo looks like a fairly solid fighter. His wins the past 3 or 4 years have been against guys with winning records, mostly on the minor league or regional circuits. (Pico's last opponent came in on a 3-fight winning streak that was built against guys with losing records.)

One minor nitpick: His fight against Dantas wasn't for the title. He was a late replacement for Darrion Caldwell and the fight was at a catchweight of 139 after he missed weight. His most recent fight, though, was against Caldwell for the Bantamweight title; he was subbed in the first round. 

True, was not for Dantas title but he still had a close fight with him, that is the point I was trying to make.

9/26/18 1:45 PM
4/21/12
BJ Penn Forever -
Tug Dabone - 

True, was not for Dantas title but he still had a close fight with him, that is the point I was trying to make.

No problem. Like I said, it was a minor nitpick.