UnderGround Forums Tony C would have beaten Matt F

6/18/19 12:57 PM
1/1/01

Tony F could beat Matt C

6/18/19 1:21 PM
12/7/14
FingerorMoon -
Boom Boom Mancino -

a healthy-backed Tony would have ruled the NHB/MMA scene well into the Fedor years

Tell us more

he was basically a proto-Stipe.  From hardscrabble, blue-collar Cleveland, wrestling background, Golden Gloves boxing.  Stipe was naturally a bit bigger, but without the deep submission mastery of Tony.

6/18/19 1:22 PM
7/20/04
de braco -

Dan Hodge and smith have more prestigious accolades than that whole crowd

Wasnt going for accolades (was going for people I like)....but I get your point. Just dont know how anyone can root for OK. :-)

6/18/19 2:34 PM
1/1/01

Yeah but could do better neck bridges?

6/18/19 2:44 PM
5/26/18

All the --' ers gonna -- should see some of the join dates on this thread. Hidden wisdom!

6/18/19 2:46 PM
1/1/01
Wiggy - Oh jeez.

I dealt / ran a website some with Tony.

I like him well enough, but he's nuts.

More than matt?

6/18/19 2:50 PM
1/1/01
Wiggy - Oh jeez.

Curious about him being nuts......any funny stories? This thread is definitely a blast from the past. I can’t remember the mma guy, but he told a story about Furey being at his gym with someone. The mma guy wanted to friendly roll with Furey. Furey was resistant, but the guy kept asking. Furey agreed and said he had to get his gear from his car. Instead, he went to his car and took off. I am sure I probably missed some details, but that was one I remember.
6/18/19 3:45 PM
1/1/01

Old school shit 

Edited: 6/18/19 3:50 PM
1/1/01
bemsqua -
Wiggy - Oh jeez.

Curious about him being nuts......any funny stories? This thread is definitely a blast from the past. I can’t remember the mma guy, but he told a story about Furey being at his gym with someone. The mma guy wanted to friendly roll with Furey. Furey was resistant, but the guy kept asking. Furey agreed and said he had to get his gear from his car. Instead, he went to his car and took off. I am sure I probably missed some details, but that was one I remember.

well that's one version. The other one goes a little something about the other guy tapping like a typewriter. I remember joe hurley rolling matt up a time or two

6/18/19 3:57 PM
12/22/18

Danny hodge would destroy your Iowa guys. In some ways Tony C is a lot like Danny-world class wrestling and boxing. Not sure who had the stronger grip.

6/18/19 3:58 PM
12/22/18

Fureys bridges were legit ill give him that. Tonys back hurt him in that regard. 

6/18/19 5:08 PM
1/1/01
They were both SUPER full of shit. I did a little bit of business with both of them and they were both scared of being exposed as the frauds they are.
6/18/19 5:15 PM
1/1/01

LOL. it never ends.

6/18/19 5:27 PM
1/1/01
Hey Beer Man - They were both SUPER full of shit. I did a little bit of business with both of them and they were both scared of being exposed as the frauds they are.

What Gracie do you trane under?

Farmer Burns would murder ya dead.

6/18/19 5:36 PM
1/1/01
I currently trane under Helio directly. Pure waters and all...
6/18/19 5:37 PM
1/1/01

"Curious about him being nuts......any funny stories?"

Not necessarily "funny".

Long story short, back when I was first getting into the only S&C world, Tony & I got connected...don't remember how.  Anyway, he was starting up a conditioning-only workout site that he wanted to run with me and a third person (I won't name who).

It ended up being mostly me and Tony.  I would create the content, but Tony was the one in charge of the site, sending out newsletters, etc.  I would write all this stuff, send it to him, and he would take forever to put it up.

We ended up on the phone quite a bit, and he would go on for hours on end about the most weird & random stuff.  A lot of it was waxing poetic about the past, what could have been, etc.  But then he started acting very paranoid.

He'd talk about people out to get him, how he was sure people left & right wanted to jump him on the street.  (Though he did / does live in Chicago, so who knows.  lol)  

It was around this time that he came out with a self-defense / street fighting product, and he seemed to have really jumped down that mental rabbit hole - think almost like a prepper who has bought too much into his own prepping / conspiracy theories.

Then he started talking shit about other guys he worked / did stuff with (I don't remember who or any stories, so don't ask).  

It all started getting to be too much for me, so I distanced myself from him.  I told him such in a polite, respectful manner, and that I needed to embark on this online business journey on my own to find my own path.  He acted half hurt / half pissed, and as I recall, ended all communication.  

I heard through the grapevine that he was talking shit about me later on, that I'd back-stabbed him, etc - all very similar stories to what he'd told me about other people.

I want to say a year or two passed and somehow, we ended up exchanging emails.  He was very cordial, but stand-offish.  At the same time, it was as if nothing had ever happened, too - just a weird vibe.

I could've gotten over a lot of that stuff if he'd just help up his end of the work, which he never really did...or at least not without me hounding him like crazy.

Like I said - I liked Tony.  He just wasn't "right".  Looking back, it almost reminds me of someone battling some serious depression, PTSD, or the like.  I am NOT saying he was - I have no idea.  That's just what my memories are like.

*shrug*

6/18/19 5:41 PM
1/1/01
de braco - 
bemsqua -
Wiggy - Oh jeez.

well that's one version. The other one goes a little something about the other guy tapping like a typewriter. I remember joe hurley rolling matt up a time or two

hahahahaha - Furey's infamous "Tapped Him Like a Typewriter" headline.

(He made some FAT $$$$ from using that in his ad copy.)

IIRC, the story on that was that he was at Maxwell's and challenged one of Steve's students. They had just finished up a rolling session, Matt was fresh, and Matt outweighed the guy by a fair margin.

Supposedly, they agreed beforehand to grappling only, and when Matt didn't immediately get the upper hand, he hit the guy. This caught him off guard, and Matt was able to lock in some submission in quick fashion. Everything broke up (or broke down?) after that.

Soon after, Matt flooded the intrawebz and his print ads with his "Tapped Him Like a Typewriter" headline.
6/18/19 5:43 PM
7/20/01
how does the Prince of Leglocks fit into this equation
6/18/19 6:16 PM
1/1/01

Memory lane never changes..............I once caught a fish, this big.

Edited: 6/18/19 8:00 PM
12/22/18
Jeff Malott -

Yeah but you cant tap Tony even now. Just because he cant beat Tony doesnt mean that Matt couldn't stretch all the Gracies-he could! Name one that could stand against him. And don't say made up record Rickson.

6/18/19 8:44 PM
1/1/01

Furry couldn't stretch a rubberband.

6/18/19 10:35 PM
12/22/18

That's your opinion. Name one gracie that could beat him?

6/18/19 10:51 PM
10/15/06
Robert Ferguson would tap them all.That's why they never went to Oxford.
6/18/19 11:57 PM
1/1/01
Jeff Malott -

How many tony MAGA tapes were there? It's been shear hell without those, let me tell you.

6/19/19 5:21 PM
10/27/03
Bukabuki -
Jeff Malott -

Yeah but you cant tap Tony even now. Just because he cant beat Tony doesnt mean that Matt couldn't stretch all the Gracies-he could! Name one that could stand against him. And don't say made up record Rickson.

Roger.