UnderGround Forums Top 5 strikers we’ve seen compete in MMA?

4/20/19 8:16 PM
6/27/05
ranier wolfcastle -

never forget

-----------

That was such a massive moment in time.

4/20/19 10:09 PM
1/1/01

Tyrone Spong. Wish he would come back to mma. 

4/21/19 5:32 AM
8/18/13
boxy -
Dreville79 - 

Strikers in MMA? Or MMA Strikers? 

If the first. Holm, Overreem & Cro Cop for sure

If the second. Bisping for superb head movement and boxing, GSP for a great jab, Silva & Jones all around, Machida in his prime was incredibly hard to hit and had great striking

Including Holm is ridiculous, lol. The talent pool is non-existent in women's boxing.

Does Rousey get included in grappling? Of course not, although many here were convinced by Rogan that she'd outgrappple and tap many male fighter, lol.

If we were talking Judokas Rousey would without a shadow of a doubt get mentioned. 

If you can’t see Holm is an incredibly efficient & crisp striker I dunno what to tell ya. She hasn’t found the tools to use it well in MMA unfortunately, she tend to give a kickboxing masterclass to thin air most of the time. She’s a far, far more competent boxer than 90% of Male Fighters in the UFC, which of course doesn’t mean she’d KO any of them any more than Rousey could submit any of them 

4/21/19 6:29 AM
12/19/18

Jones

Whittaker

Machida

Anderson

Butterbean

4/21/19 7:00 AM
8/15/11

For me it has to be strikers that have actually done it in MMA and put people away with strikes. Not just a James Toney type with credentials or a GSP/Joanna /Diaz type who overwhelm but rarely put away. 

For me the top 5 in order would be

Anderson

Conor

Shogun

Mousasi

Vitor

4/21/19 9:59 AM
3/12/15

1. Conor

2. Anderson 

-big gap between these 2 and the rest-

Guys like Aldo, Holloway, Poirier, Dillashaw Mighty Mouse, Garbrandt, Whittaker, Barboza, Pettis, Diaz bros, Adesanya, etc. are all in the mix can’t really be put in order because they’re a similar elite level and styles make fights. 

But Conor and Anderson are on a completely different level and outclass anyone at their natural weight classes on the feet. 

4/21/19 1:07 PM
11/11/11

For recent fights, Johnny Walker should be on the list. The level of destruction that he unleashes is truly breathtaking.

4/21/19 1:17 PM
3/19/04
Manhoef deserves to be mentioned. Not saying he's the best, but he's one of the best that hasn't been mentioned yet.
4/21/19 1:19 PM
6/13/04
Cro Cop, Overeem, Hunt, Schilt (many times over) were all K1 Grand Prix champions.
4/21/19 1:20 PM
2/17/03
It's ultimately so hard to pick, because striking in MMA is so interconnected with the threat of wrestling, as well as TDD.

Cro Cop, Mo Smith, Conor, Anderson, Aldo, Holloway, and Hunto all come to mind, since their striking success had nothing to do with the threat of offensive takedowns. But, that criteria is somewhat arbitrary.

GSP, Cruz, TJ, Mighty Mouse, and Fedor were all remarkably effective with their striking. But, it's really hard to disentangle their success from the TD threat.
4/21/19 1:25 PM
2/17/03
I'll add that if we're looking for the best striker to compete in MMA, the answer is Lights Out and there is not a close second.

I assumed that the question was about the use of striking in MMA.
4/21/19 3:24 PM
7/2/09
TheRaider -

For recent fights, Johnny Walker should be on the list. The level of destruction that he unleashes is truly breathtaking.

I'm not saying that he won't go on to be one of the all time greats.  I'm just saying, all of his fights have ended so early, in "one punch" territory, that it's hard to get a sense of how skilled he is.

Sokoudjou comes to mind.

4/21/19 3:28 PM
7/2/09

Two huge names that haven't been mentioned: Vitor and Hendo.  (Looking back up, I see Vitor's been mentioned).

Hendo has to get a nod because of his body of work: #1 KO of all time against Bisping, KO's of Prime Wand and Prime Fedor. 

I'm actually giving Vitor the nod because of how both Hendo and Vitor performed against Bisping.  Not that Bisping's awesome or anything... but there was a moment in both of those fights where you could see the terror on Bisping's face when he realized the other guys have legit boxing skill.  They could touch him any time they wanted to, and he couldn't touch them at all.

There's levels to these things.  I'm surprised guys like Bisping getting mentioned in this thread.

4/21/19 3:33 PM
7/2/09
Dreville79 -
boxy -
Dreville79 - 

Strikers in MMA? Or MMA Strikers? 

If the first. Holm, Overreem & Cro Cop for sure

If the second. Bisping for superb head movement and boxing, GSP for a great jab, Silva & Jones all around, Machida in his prime was incredibly hard to hit and had great striking

Including Holm is ridiculous, lol. The talent pool is non-existent in women's boxing.

Does Rousey get included in grappling? Of course not, although many here were convinced by Rogan that she'd outgrappple and tap many male fighter, lol.

If we were talking Judokas Rousey would without a shadow of a doubt get mentioned. 

If you can’t see Holm is an incredibly efficient & crisp striker I dunno what to tell ya. She hasn’t found the tools to use it well in MMA unfortunately, she tend to give a kickboxing masterclass to thin air most of the time. She’s a far, far more competent boxer than 90% of Male Fighters in the UFC, which of course doesn’t mean she’d KO any of them any more than Rousey could submit any of them 

Holm looks great because of a nonexistent talent pool.  Put her against anyone with even basic skills and it immediately turns into a sparring match.

The thread title was Top 5 strikers in MMA.  Was Holly really one of the first names that popped into your head?  Top 5?  As in, you can't think of 5 fighters who actually strike fear into their opponents with their striking ability?

Wand

Hunto

Hendo

Anderson

Conor

Fedor

JDS

Overeem

Shogun

Jones

Which of those 10 killers would you knock off the list to make room for Holly's point sparring cardio kickboxing approach to fighting?

4/21/19 3:41 PM
8/15/11
jgiveshead -

Two huge names that haven't been mentioned: Vitor and Hendo.  (Looking back up, I see Vitor's been mentioned).

Hendo has to get a nod because of his body of work: #1 KO of all time against Bisping, KO's of Prime Wand and Prime Fedor. 

I'm actually giving Vitor the nod because of how both Hendo and Vitor performed against Bisping.  Not that Bisping's awesome or anything... but there was a moment in both of those fights where you could see the terror on Bisping's face when he realized the other guys have legit boxing skill.  They could touch him any time they wanted to, and he couldn't touch them at all.

There's levels to these things.  I'm surprised guys like Bisping getting mentioned in this thread.

Anderson outstruck both of them pretty comfortably though. Hendo had his chin and was rocked. Vitor whilst top 5 imo, he was punching air then got highlight KOed like never before. 

Bisping I agree should never be in the list. He has been out struck multiple times and I wouldn"t put him near Franklin let alone top 5. 

4/21/19 3:41 PM
2/13/16
wiggum - It's ultimately so hard to pick, because striking in MMA is so interconnected with the threat of wrestling, as well as TDD.

Cro Cop, Mo Smith, Conor, Anderson, Aldo, Holloway, and Hunto all come to mind, since their striking success had nothing to do with the threat of offensive takedowns. But, that criteria is somewhat arbitrary.

GSP, Cruz, TJ, Mighty Mouse, and Fedor were all remarkably effective with their striking. But, it's really hard to disentangle their success from the TD threat.

That was my point entirely, when I said you need to narrow your criteria.

Otherwise, I’d say guys like spong, Kevin Ross, Tenshin or joe schilling are the best strikers who have competed in mma.

4/21/19 5:19 PM
11/28/03

james toney *

4/21/19 6:04 PM
8/2/11

These threads are always hilarious- people rabbit off some of the known strikers from the UFC yet the question is clearly - "the best strikers we have seen in MMA"

You have fighters currently in One FC that are multi time Lumpinee and Rajadamnern champions with 200 fights and UG retards want to list Conor ffs

4/22/19 9:31 AM
5/15/15

Well.. Saki, Schilt, Toney come to mind right away.

But I'm assuming most elite kickboxer have had mma bouts in Japan so easily them.

4/22/19 10:53 AM
2/4/03
Igor.
4/22/19 11:58 AM
1/1/01
Mo Smith
4/22/19 12:06 PM
10/9/10
jgiveshead -
MitchTomes -

No love for Holloway or Barboza?

Could also be an argument for DJ and Wonderboy.

Those last two guys are more famous for holding back and point sparring, than they are for stopping power, or, even the threat of stopping the fight.  They might be the worst possible examples unless we allow WMMA and Tecia Torres on the list.

This thread has nothing to do with power or how often a guy finishes fights. 

Surely great strikers have the ability to finish the fight with their strikes, but we have all seen many guys over the years use their striking to win fights or open up other parts of their game. 

WB is a great example of a great striker in MMA, as is Machida. DJ is a guy who has some of the most effective striking in MMA, the way he uses footwork and fundamentals to blend disciplines together is amazing. 

Different styles and different fighters will produce different results, but you don’t have to get a bunch of KOs to be a great striker in MMA. It just helps. 

4/22/19 12:19 PM
10/9/10
wiggum - It's ultimately so hard to pick, because striking in MMA is so interconnected with the threat of wrestling, as well as TDD.

Your last paragraph shows the distinction between “strikers in MMA” and “MMA strikers.” GSP and MM are the two best examples of that I can think of that use their striking to fight at their pace and blend disciplines together. 

I would add Jones and Frankie to that list. 

4/22/19 12:20 PM
5/11/11

It’s Anderson Silva. No one else near the GOAT discussion was striking based. (GSP, Jones, Fedor)

Aldo is 1A

4/22/19 1:14 PM
10/9/10

This thread highlights how rare it is to actually see a next-level striker (Anderson, Aldo, Conor) succeed at a championship level in the UFC. If you think of all today’s UFC champs: Jones, DC, Whittaker, etc.... all great strikers in their own right but not completely amazing. 

It just shows how important “effective” striking is as part of the overal MMA game - I think we all know wrestling is the most important base to have. 

My older cousin told me something when I was little and he was teaching me to play basketball - “work on your jump shot first - get really good and practice, then starting hitting jumpers. Once they respect your jump shot, then use the pump fake and dribble/pass to open up other parts of your game”. 

That reminds me of what the most effective strikers in MMA do - they use striking as a threat, but if you start to respect it too much they use it open up other parts of their game.