UnderGround Forums Top 5 strikers we’ve seen compete in MMA?

4/23/19 9:46 AM
1/1/01

James Toney and Ray Mercer

4/23/19 2:55 PM
10/17/13
Why not just stick to Fighters who never competed as a Striker outside of MMA? It would make the list easier to compile.
4/23/19 3:18 PM
7/20/01
ramon dekkers had an mma fight - heelhooked by genki

melvin manhoef is a pretty good striker

paul daley has 10+ t/ko wins where the opponent is 100% completely unconscious - I can't think of anyone else that approach that stat
4/23/19 3:42 PM
1/1/01
RalphRose2068 - 
SlapUsilly -

James Toney and Ray Mercer

These two are nuttin' but strikers and should not compete in MMA..too one dimensional!

Ray Mercer Ko'ed Tim Sylvia, a former UFC champion..in an  MMA match.

James Toney got embarrassed by Couture..in an MMA match.

They, by definition, and by the criteria of the OP, are MMA fighters.

4/23/19 3:59 PM
3/13/08
jgiveshead -
MitchTomes -

No love for Holloway or Barboza?

Could also be an argument for DJ and Wonderboy.

Those last two guys are more famous for holding back and point sparring, than they are for stopping power, or, even the threat of stopping the fight.  They might be the worst possible examples unless we allow WMMA and Tecia Torres on the list.

The question wasn't who hits hardest.

4/23/19 4:14 PM
11/11/14
Semmy Schilt and all those K1 champs
4/24/19 1:41 PM
10/31/07

Motivated bj out boxed ever person he fought up until Frankie. And pen had the belt a record 800+ days. He was an insanely effective boxer and one of the goats especially in LW

4/24/19 4:45 PM
11/28/03
NineFightFour - 

Motivated bj out boxed ever person he fought up until Frankie. And pen had the belt a record 800+ days. He was an insanely effective boxer and one of the goats especially in LW

he outboxed frankie for 3.5 rounds in their 1st fight too

4/24/19 5:50 PM
10/31/07
ranier wolfcastle -
NineFightFour - 

he outboxed frankie for 3.5 rounds in their 1st fight too

I thought so too but I didn’t wanna come out and say I thought he won that fight since according to the record he didn’t. All his other fights it was super obvious 

4/25/19 1:46 AM
11/19/07
This thread has made me lose confidence in this place!
4/25/19 8:47 PM
8/8/18
boxy -
Dreville79 - 

Strikers in MMA? Or MMA Strikers? 

If the first. Holm, Overreem & Cro Cop for sure

If the second. Bisping for superb head movement and boxing, GSP for a great jab, Silva & Jones all around, Machida in his prime was incredibly hard to hit and had great striking

Including Holm is ridiculous, lol. The talent pool is non-existent in women's boxing.

Does Rousey get included in grappling? Of course not, although many here were convinced by Rogan that she'd outgrappple and tap many male fighter, lol.

Holly was the best of her time, a dominant champion always makes the rest of the division look shit. 

Of course rousey would be included in grappling 9 of her 12 wins are by armbar. 

4/25/19 9:35 PM
1/16/12

Ando was great but I hate that he didn’t face to many great strikers other then  franklin, vitor, Murray (at the time was great), hendo & I guess you can say Cote

Aldo looked much better against opponents who had an overall great skill of MMA abilities. He faced a lot more wrestlers who could strike with the best and is still doing great. 

I think people forget how great Aldo was in the WEC. People underestimate how great the opponents Jose faced at MMA striking. Even without his leg kicks he’s still at the top of 145 right now 

4/25/19 9:55 PM
11/9/15

The only one I'm sure about is Anderson. Conor gets disqualified for having to shoot for a takedown after getting outboxed by Nate in his prime.

4/26/19 12:01 AM
10/9/10
Acidic -

Ando was great but I hate that he didn’t face to many great strikers other then  franklin, vitor, Murray (at the time was great), hendo & I guess you can say Cote

Aldo looked much better against opponents who had an overall great skill of MMA abilities. He faced a lot more wrestlers who could strike with the best and is still doing great. 

I think people forget how great Aldo was in the WEC. People underestimate how great the opponents Jose faced at MMA striking. Even without his leg kicks he’s still at the top of 145 right now 

Aldo was great in the WEC and people think his UFC run hasn’t been as good. It’s probably because he was KOing people with relative ease in the WEC, and when he transitioned over there was a combination of less risk being taken and higher level of competition. 

The last few years he has only lost to Conor and Max. He has recent wins over Frankie, Stephens and Moicano. The last two were impressive finishes. 

We all used to think his kicking prowess made him great (which it did), but his boxing alone is getting the job done late in his career against elite competition. Impressive. 

4/26/19 5:59 PM
1/12/05
Conor and it's not even close. Look at what he did to all time top 5 striker Jose Aldo. Conor went up 25 pounds and still outclassed Nate Diaz until he gassed, and Conor put Eddie Alvarez through the Matrix
4/26/19 6:03 PM
10/5/11
Lick Brown Boners - GSP, Aldo, Conor, Anderson, Jones if we are talking about effective MMA striking

I like this list. Only problem is Conor when facing people his size. I could sub him with Gegard

4/26/19 6:30 PM
3/18/14

Propaganda out in force in this thread. The guy who got outstruck and knocked down by Diaz and nurmogomedov is no where near the top 10.

4/26/19 7:15 PM
7/27/11
Bobby Lupo - Conor and it's not even close. Look at what he did to all time top 5 striker Jose Aldo. Conor went up 25 pounds and still outclassed Nate Diaz until he gassed, and Conor put Eddie Alvarez through the Matrix

Thoughts on Anderson?

Also, I’m surprised we don’t see more fighters trying to emulate Conor and his bladed stance...

4/26/19 7:29 PM
3/12/15
rudiger -

Propaganda out in force in this thread. The guy who got outstruck and knocked down by Diaz and nurmogomedov is no where near the top 10.

Conor outstruck Khabib 45-25 sig strikes despite the threat of takedown. And Nate outweighed him by 25-30lbs. If he’s disqualified because of one lucky flash KD by Khabib then Anderson is also DQed because he got knocked down by Chael and KOed by Weidman (neither of which are as decorated strikers as Khabib who outstruck Barboza and Iaquinta by a large margin on the feet). But clearly you aren’t holding Silva or anyone else to the same standard as Conor because you’d rather spew propaganda to support your own mouth foaming bias.