UnderGround Forums Tristan Connelly debunks "UFC doesn't pay well"

9/15/19 5:21 PM
2/24/07
JoeHurley - 

10k/10k  is the highest minimum pay level out of all mma organizations, but for some reasom people only want to bitch about the ufc pay level and not any other. Bellator has paid fighters 1.5k/1.5k which is ridiculous yet nobody on here says a word about that. Now wi come the obligatory "well the ufc is the biggest organization, blah blah blah" excuse makers.

Well, Dana didn’t call bellator the Super Bowl of MMA. He doesn’t continually say bellator is the biggest sport in the world. He does about ufc though.

Maybe he should pay like it then.

$10k to show, lose, and end up netting about $5k after taxes, paying managers, etc... in the “SuperBowl” of mma for 3 months of work is ludicrous.
9/15/19 5:32 PM
12/8/12

How did he get 100Gs for Pereira missing weight....is that 20%....is Michel pulling in 500K per?

9/15/19 6:08 PM
6/17/16

Connelly's situation has nothing to do with the UFC paying well.

He got a portion of his opponent's purse because Pereira missed wieght AND he got his half of the FOTN bonus also because Pereira missed weight and was no longer eligible.

The UFC was not going out of their way to be generous in the least other than by calling that slppy ass fight FOTN. It was entertaining and I'm glad to see a new guy getting paid a decent paycheck for once because it is a rarity in MMA but this whole situation had nothing to do with generosity., it was merely an abnormal set of circumstances and the UFC followed their own rules.

Case in point: this guy can fight again next week and he isn't going to get paid $125k for it, he'll be back to 10/10 + $3500 for being a Reebok billboard and not having the opportunity to find his own sponsors.

9/15/19 6:13 PM
6/17/16
Smilin like Rashad -

How did he get 100Gs for Pereira missing weight....is that 20%....is Michel pulling in 500K per?

They got FOTN but pereira was no longer eligible due to missing weight.

Pereira fucked up big, lost 20% of his purse and $50k bonus. 

Connelly got super lucky from the circumstances and cashed in big.

Can't really think of a better set of circumstances for Connelly to debut under, his own opponent went out of his way to hand him the fight and a large portion of his paycheck on a silver platter.

Pereira was depleted from the wieght cut and then seemingly blew all of his energy on his gymnastics routine on the way to the cage. He did just enough flashy ridiculous shit to make Connelly look good and stay in the fight.

9/15/19 8:41 PM
11/10/18

So 20% of Pereira’s purse is $2400? Pereira was only scheduled to make 12/12? Lol I wouldn’t have learned his dance routine for 12 grand. 

9/16/19 12:14 AM
10/20/10
jkd4200 -
cantuna4u -

10 to show and 10 to win????   Oh yeah...

UFC is emptying their pockets now!

You got to earn your way up for big paydays. 

Every combat bat sport does this. 

Are u new here?

I get what you're saying, but what I think others are trying to point out is that the UFC is supposed to be the NFL of MMA... second string punters make more than that. 

9/16/19 1:54 AM
11/8/08
FrontBroRian -
JoeHurley - 

10k/10k  is the highest minimum pay level out of all mma organizations, but for some reasom people only want to bitch about the ufc pay level and not any other. Bellator has paid fighters 1.5k/1.5k which is ridiculous yet nobody on here says a word about that. Now wi come the obligatory "well the ufc is the biggest organization, blah blah blah" excuse makers.

Well, Dana didn’t call bellator the Super Bowl of MMA. He doesn’t continually say bellator is the biggest sport in the world. He does about ufc though.

$10k to show, lose, and end up netting about $5k after taxes, paying managers, etc... in the “SuperBowl” of mma for 3 months of work is ludicrous.

There we go, the famous "superbowl of mma" line that gets thrown out when this comes up  butnill play along. The ufc pays more than any other organization so by your logic they are the superbowl of mma. If not then who is? If 5k after taxes is ridiculous them what do you think about 1.5k/1.5k? Why do you ignore that point? When it comes to change you dont start at the top. You start at the bottom and work upwards, but with guys like you it's not about really changing fighter pay. It's just about hating on dana white which does nothing. Why do you give every other organization a pass????

9/16/19 1:57 AM
11/8/08
NastyNate420 -
jkd4200 -
cantuna4u -

Are u new here?

I get what you're saying, but what I think others are trying to point out is that the UFC is supposed to be the NFL of MMA... second string punters make more than that. 

It's just a slogan. Stop taking it literally. 

9/16/19 2:02 AM
11/8/08
Target_the_Gash -

He got a portion of his opponent's purse because Pereira missed wieght AND he got his half of the FOTN bonus also because Pereira missed weight and was no longer eligible.

The UFC was not going out of their way to be generous in the least other than by calling that slppy ass fight FOTN. It was entertaining and I'm glad to see a new guy getting paid a decent paycheck for once because it is a rarity in MMA but this whole situation had nothing to do with generosity., it was merely an abnormal set of circumstances and the UFC followed their own rules.

Case in point: this guy can fight again next week and he isn't going to get paid $125k for it, he'll be back to 10/10 + $3500 for being a Reebok billboard and not having the opportunity to find his own sponsors.

Yes, he'll most likely be back to 10/10 + $3500 next fight, but that's more than he'll make anywhere else at this point. Is bellator, one or combate america going to sign him and pay him more at this point? No. On top of that he will have the opportunity to get a performance again, and more importantly, the chance to earn a better contract if he keeps performing well. 

9/16/19 2:20 AM
6/17/16
JoeHurley -
Target_the_Gash -

Yes, he'll most likely be back to 10/10 + $3500 next fight, but that's more than he'll make anywhere else at this point. Is bellator, one or combate america going to sign him and pay him more at this point? No. On top of that he will have the opportunity to get a performance again, and more importantly, the chance to earn a better contract if he keeps performing well. 

I'm not sying it's bad per se I realize Bellator and other places get away with much worse and nobody says anything about it. I guess in some ways it's good that guys can get paid at all if that is really what people love to do but not too long ago dudes were fighting for 1000/1000 and 1500/1500 at bellator prelims and warming up oncardboard on some grass before the fights, not a great look for a company thatr can also afford to pay people $500k if their name is big enough. It's none of my business but I would like to see people that make it to the UFC at least get paid enough that they can afford their basic living expenses plus a little bit and be able to train full time at a real gym with all of the various things they need to be able and ready to fight year round. It would be nice if people got a basic salary for living expenses and then it was up to them to be ready to fight x-times per year, maybe if they miss too many in a row they get cut or whatever. I don't know how exactly you do it but the people that make it ot the highest level should get compensated enough that they can be full time professional fighters. That's what it means to make it to the 'big leagues' in other sports. I know, this isn't really a sport, but lots of dumb people think it is and the UFC pushes that narrative to try to sanitize their blood money.

If they have 500 people on the roster and they gave everyone A $50K per year base salary that would be $25M. That's a good sized chunk of change but honestly it is something the UFC can actually easily afford with the profits they have historically posted. Easy to say when it's not my money but they try to act like they are ready for prime time then maybe they should step up to the plate and pay like they are. $50k base salary is peanuts compared to most major sports on TV.

9/16/19 4:22 AM
11/8/08
Target_the_Gash -
JoeHurley -
Target_the_Gash -

I'm not sying it's bad per se I realize Bellator and other places get away with much worse and nobody says anything about it. I guess in some ways it's good that guys can get paid at all if that is really what people love to do but not too long ago dudes were fighting for 1000/1000 and 1500/1500 at bellator prelims and warming up oncardboard on some grass before the fights, not a great look for a company thatr can also afford to pay people $500k if their name is big enough. It's none of my business but I would like to see people that make it to the UFC at least get paid enough that they can afford their basic living expenses plus a little bit and be able to train full time at a real gym with all of the various things they need to be able and ready to fight year round. It would be nice if people got a basic salary for living expenses and then it was up to them to be ready to fight x-times per year, maybe if they miss too many in a row they get cut or whatever. I don't know how exactly you do it but the people that make it ot the highest level should get compensated enough that they can be full time professional fighters. That's what it means to make it to the 'big leagues' in other sports. I know, this isn't really a sport, but lots of dumb people think it is and the UFC pushes that narrative to try to sanitize their blood money.

If they have 500 people on the roster and they gave everyone A $50K per year base salary that would be $25M. That's a good sized chunk of change but honestly it is something the UFC can actually easily afford with the profits they have historically posted. Easy to say when it's not my money but they try to act like they are ready for prime time then maybe they should step up to the plate and pay like they are. $50k base salary is peanuts compared to most major sports on TV.

Why do you keep comparing ufc pay to other sports? Prize fighting and teamsports are nothing alike.

Base salary? Come on man. Salary is in sports that have a set number of scheduled games. Not individual athletes performing in random events that are booked one at a time. Do professional golfers, bowlers, boxers or tennis players get paid a salary? The ufc is not a "league" like football, baseball or hockey. Its prize fighting which has a set structure that has been in place for hundreds of years.

You sound silly with these word games. How about this one? If Bellator, One and other organizations claim to be competing with the ufc then they should pay the same rates to their fighters. So why dont they all raise their minimum pay, give out incentive bonuses and pay their champs the same as well? 

9/16/19 7:35 AM
7/18/11

It couldn't have been a better night for him and a worse night for his opponent...not only did he lose a shitload of money over ONE pound, he made a fool of himself doing it. Hopefully he can wipe that egg from his face next time out!

9/16/19 7:50 AM
5/14/09

Let's say he gktfo 1 minute in to the first....10,000 bucks....when last week you were chilling at your gym....shit sign me up bro! 

The UFC is all about profits let's not kid our selves.  Of course fighters want more pay, don't we're all?  To get the money you must meet the criteria: 1)Win 2)Win in impressive fashion 3)show heart win or lose 4) be entertaining inside and out of the ring and lastly the easiest way to get big paydays is to be famous before you enter the UFC (Lesnar, Hardy, Punk)

9/16/19 7:51 AM
11/9/17
T?bikan J?dan -

And if he lost and had no bonus his purse would only be 10k. That's too much variance to say the pay is good. It would be more accurate to say the pay has the potential to be good. 

Exactly but don't let facts get in the way here

9/16/19 8:27 AM
2/24/07
JoeHurley - 
FrontBroRian -
JoeHurley - 

There we go, the famous "superbowl of mma" line that gets thrown out when this comes up  butnill play along. The ufc pays more than any other organization so by your logic they are the superbowl of mma. If not then who is? If 5k after taxes is ridiculous them what do you think about 1.5k/1.5k? Why do you ignore that point? When it comes to change you dont start at the top. You start at the bottom and work upwards, but with guys like you it's not about really changing fighter pay. It's just about hating on dana white which does nothing. Why do you give every other organization a pass????

I didn’t say it’s the super bowl of mma. Dana did, the guy you’re so vigorously defending. And I don’t hate him at all. Met him several times through mutual friends when I lived in Vegas. Super personable guy.

And if you don’t understand why the ufc should pay way more than bellator, or the nfl should pay more than arena league, or why mlb should pay more than single A, I’m not sure what to tell you.

Hint: Revenue
9/16/19 8:43 AM
7/19/13

Imo he just got lucky his opponent fucked up on the scale. That’s the only reason he got paid the way he did. Almost all of his pay came from earning his and Periera’s bonus. Without Periera and his theatrics early on, it wouldn’t have been fight of the night either, so it’s really all luck he got paid. Otherwise it would have been $20-25k which is basically nothing after taxes and training expenses.. 

9/16/19 9:19 AM
1/1/01

I think it's kinda of fucked up the give him his opponent's bonus. He should have gotten 20% of it, not all of it.

9/16/19 10:09 AM
4/25/11
jkd4200 -
cantuna4u -

Are u new here?

Been around long enough to know they are doing well and are still paying fighters shit.

9/16/19 11:09 AM
2/1/08
T?bikan J?dan -

And if he lost and had no bonus his purse would only be 10k. That's too much variance to say the pay is good. It would be more accurate to say the pay has the potential to be good. 

That's true of all sports (not to mention the entertainment industry).

I don't know what you want - being a professional fighter is not a guaranteed income.  It's not like becoming an accountant, or a lawyer, or an engineer. You get into it because it's what you love and because there's potential - but not because there are guarantees.

As others have mentioned, both the base pay AND the ceiling are way higher in the UFC than anywhere else.  That's exactly why every fighter wants to get in the UFC.

9/16/19 11:12 AM
2/1/08
FrontBroRian -
JoeHurley - 
FrontBroRian -
JoeHurley - 

I didn’t say it’s the super bowl of mma. Dana did, the guy you’re so vigorously defending. And I don’t hate him at all. Met him several times through mutual friends when I lived in Vegas. Super personable guy.

And if you don’t understand why the ufc should pay way more than bellator, or the nfl should pay more than arena league, or why mlb should pay more than single A, I’m not sure what to tell you.

The UFC does pay way more than Bellator and other promotions.  That's exactly why fighters want to get to the UFC.

Dude's not wrong - the UFC is essentially the NFL of the MMA world and they have the highest base salaries and the largest potential for income.

9/16/19 11:27 AM
2/2/15
JoeHurley -
FrontBroRian -
JoeHurley - 

That's fine and all, and 1.5k + 1.5k is horrible BUT Bellator will let you have as many sponsors as you want, the UFC will let you have Reebok.

9/16/19 11:29 AM
12/8/12
Target_the_Gash -
Smilin like Rashad -

They got FOTN but pereira was no longer eligible due to missing weight.

Pereira fucked up big, lost 20% of his purse and $50k bonus. 

Connelly got super lucky from the circumstances and cashed in big.

Can't really think of a better set of circumstances for Connelly to debut under, his own opponent went out of his way to hand him the fight and a large portion of his paycheck on a silver platter.

Pereira was depleted from the wieght cut and then seemingly blew all of his energy on his gymnastics routine on the way to the cage. He did just enough flashy ridiculous shit to make Connelly look good and stay in the fight.

Ahhhh....got it....thanks

9/16/19 11:45 AM
11/8/08
FrontBroRian -
JoeHurley - 
FrontBroRian -
JoeHurley - 

Bringing up the supergirl of mma line is silly. That was just a comment he made, not the official zigga mission statement. If you insist on taking it literally then maybe you should realize ilthenolayers get the same paycheck for the superbowl as they do for regular season and playoff games. There is a BONUS of 67k for players on the winning team and 34k for the losing team. That is nothing compared to their salaries. So everytime you talk about superbowl of mma, it  has nothing to do with getting paid more. You really should quit trying to twist things around by taking a throwaway line so literally. 

"And if you don’t understand why the ufc should pay way more than bellator, or the nfl should pay more than arena league, or why mlb should pay more than single A, I’m not sure what to tell you" 

They already do pay much more. In the last heavyweight title match Bader and Kongo each made $100,000 flat while Stipe made $750,000 and Cormier made $500,000. You should try looking at the actual numbers instead of rambling about superbowls, but if you can't understand that then I dont know what to tell you

9/16/19 11:49 AM
11/8/08
Bilge Water -
JoeHurley -
FrontBroRian -
JoeHurley - 

That's fine and all, and 1.5k + 1.5k is horrible BUT Bellator will let you have as many sponsors as you want, the UFC will let you have Reebok.

Lol. That sponsor money doesn't come close to making up that difference. The days of big sponsorship contracts is long gone. For guys making the minimum, thenreebok deal pays way more than the bellator fighters sponsorship money. You can look it up for yourself, but once again some guys would rather argue blindly than researching the facts.

9/16/19 11:56 AM
11/8/08
cantuna4u -
jkd4200 -
cantuna4u -

Are u new here?

Been around long enough to know they are doing well and are still paying fighters shit.

They pay the best but you still say its shit. If that's true then why do you just single out the ufc and refuse to include any other organization? Why not just say mma pays shit instead of the ufc?

You lose a of credibility by just focusing on tlhe minimum pay wage and using it to judge the while organization. Try using info like average pay, mean median and mode. You know that stuff they teach in math class that everyone said "when am I ever going to use this" and forgot about.