UnderGround Forums Tristan Connelly debunks "UFC doesn't pay well"

28 days ago
2/24/07
JoeHurley - 
FrontBroRian -
JoeHurley - 
FrontBroRian -
JoeHurley - 

10k/10k  is the highest minimum pay level out of all mma organizations, but for some reasom people only want to bitch about the ufc pay level and not any other. Bellator has paid fighters 1.5k/1.5k which is ridiculous yet nobody on here says a word about that. Now wi come the obligatory "well the ufc is the biggest organization, blah blah blah" excuse makers.

Well, Dana didn’t call bellator the Super Bowl of MMA. He doesn’t continually say bellator is the biggest sport in the world. He does about ufc though.

Maybe he should pay like it then.

$10k to show, lose, and end up netting about $5k after taxes, paying managers, etc... in the “SuperBowl” of mma for 3 months of work is ludicrous.

There we go, the famous "superbowl of mma" line that gets thrown out when this comes up  butnill play along. The ufc pays more than any other organization so by your logic they are the superbowl of mma. If not then who is? If 5k after taxes is ridiculous them what do you think about 1.5k/1.5k? Why do you ignore that point? When it comes to change you dont start at the top. You start at the bottom and work upwards, but with guys like you it's not about really changing fighter pay. It's just about hating on dana white which does nothing. Why do you give every other organization a pass????

I didn’t say it’s the super bowl of mma. Dana did, the guy you’re so vigorously defending. And I don’t hate him at all. Met him several times through mutual friends when I lived in Vegas. Super personable guy.

And if you don’t understand why the ufc should pay way more than bellator, or the nfl should pay more than arena league, or why mlb should pay more than single A, I’m not sure what to tell you.

Hint: Revenue

Bringing up the supergirl of mma line is silly. That was just a comment he made, not the official zigga mission statement. If you insist on taking it literally then maybe you should realize ilthenolayers get the same paycheck for the superbowl as they do for regular season and playoff games. There is a BONUS of 67k for players on the winning team and 34k for the losing team. That is nothing compared to their salaries. So everytime you talk about superbowl of mma, it  has nothing to do with getting paid more. You really should quit trying to twist things around by taking a throwaway line so literally. 

"And if you don’t understand why the ufc should pay way more than bellator, or the nfl should pay more than arena league, or why mlb should pay more than single A, I’m not sure what to tell you" 

They already do pay much more. In the last heavyweight title match Bader and Kongo each made $100,000 flat while Stipe made $750,000 and Cormier made $500,000. You should try looking at the actual numbers instead of rambling about superbowls, but if you can't understand that then I dont know what to tell you

Again you don’t seem to understand revenue.

And should probably take a break from this thread, as personally as you’re taking it. You don’t seem emotionally quipped to cope with this topic. It shouldn’t make you this angry. Don’t take mma.tv so seriously
28 days ago
11/8/08

I'm done with this topic. Waste of time trying to discuss the realities of fighter pay with bunch of close minded haters. The sad part is that this is exactly why fighters domt get the support from fans to help change the pay structure. Just criticizing without facts accomplishes nothing, but that's your prerogative.

28 days ago
11/8/08
FrontBroRian -
JoeHurley - 
FrontBroRian -
JoeHurley - 
FrontBroRian -
JoeHurley - 

10k/10k  is the highest minimum pay level out of all mma organizations, but for some reasom people only want to bitch about the ufc pay level and not any other. Bellator has paid fighters 1.5k/1.5k which is ridiculous yet nobody on here says a word about that. Now wi come the obligatory "well the ufc is the biggest organization, blah blah blah" excuse makers.

Well, Dana didn’t call bellator the Super Bowl of MMA. He doesn’t continually say bellator is the biggest sport in the world. He does about ufc though.

$10k to show, lose, and end up netting about $5k after taxes, paying managers, etc... in the “SuperBowl” of mma for 3 months of work is ludicrous.

There we go, the famous "superbowl of mma" line that gets thrown out when this comes up  butnill play along. The ufc pays more than any other organization so by your logic they are the superbowl of mma. If not then who is? If 5k after taxes is ridiculous them what do you think about 1.5k/1.5k? Why do you ignore that point? When it comes to change you dont start at the top. You start at the bottom and work upwards, but with guys like you it's not about really changing fighter pay. It's just about hating on dana white which does nothing. Why do you give every other organization a pass????

I didn’t say it’s the super bowl of mma. Dana did, the guy you’re so vigorously defending. And I don’t hate him at all. Met him several times through mutual friends when I lived in Vegas. Super personable guy.

And if you don’t understand why the ufc should pay way more than bellator, or the nfl should pay more than arena league, or why mlb should pay more than single A, I’m not sure what to tell you.

Bringing up the supergirl of mma line is silly. That was just a comment he made, not the official zigga mission statement. If you insist on taking it literally then maybe you should realize ilthenolayers get the same paycheck for the superbowl as they do for regular season and playoff games. There is a BONUS of 67k for players on the winning team and 34k for the losing team. That is nothing compared to their salaries. So everytime you talk about superbowl of mma, it  has nothing to do with getting paid more. You really should quit trying to twist things around by taking a throwaway line so literally. 

"And if you don’t understand why the ufc should pay way more than bellator, or the nfl should pay more than arena league, or why mlb should pay more than single A, I’m not sure what to tell you" 

They already do pay much more. In the last heavyweight title match Bader and Kongo each made $100,000 flat while Stipe made $750,000 and Cormier made $500,000. You should try looking at the actual numbers instead of rambling about superbowls, but if you can't understand that then I dont know what to tell you

And should probably take a break from this thread, as personally as you’re taking it. You don’t seem emotionally quipped to cope with this topic. It shouldn’t make you this angry. Don’t take mma.tv so seriously

I take fighter's finances personally because I'm emotionally invested due to experience and having friends I'm the business. Yeah, I take it seriously while it's nothing to you but an opportunity to troll. Deuces.

28 days ago
2/24/07
JoeHurley - 
cantuna4u -
jkd4200 -
cantuna4u -

10 to show and 10 to win????   Oh yeah...

UFC is emptying their pockets now!

You got to earn your way up for big paydays. 

Every combat bat sport does this. 

Are u new here?

Been around long enough to know they are doing well and are still paying fighters shit.

They pay the best but you still say its shit. If that's true then why do you just single out the ufc and refuse to include any other organization? Why not just say mma pays shit instead of the ufc?

You lose a of credibility by just focusing on tlhe minimum pay wage and using it to judge the while organization. Try using info like average pay, mean median and mode. You know that stuff they teach in math class that everyone said "when am I ever going to use this" and forgot about.

You realize you’re on a thread about ufc pay, right? And not one about Bellator pay, or One pay, or mma pay, or boxing pay?
28 days ago
8/20/03

I think I would be more inclined to push for better UFC pay if the fights on the PPVs were all top notch.

The UFC used to be about the best fighting the best, and I understand it's a sport more than ever but lower tier guys should not be fighting on a PPV card when there are TV spots and free events they should be debuting on or working their skills on.

28 days ago
2/27/11

The pound missed by Pereira is the most expensive ever?

28 days ago
2/28/14
FrontBroRian -
T?bikan J?dan - 

And if he lost and had no bonus his purse would only be 10k. That's too much variance to say the pay is good. It would be more accurate to say the pay has the potential to be good. 

This...

“When you talk about backroom bonuses and discretionary bonuses, they're awesome, they're cool, but it's not a steady salary, it's not promised," Henderson told Bleacher Report. "Some guys never get a bonus. It's all at the whim of the higher-ups. And you shouldn't have a problem paying your mortgage because of the whim of the higher-ups, because they didn't feel your fight was worthy of a bonus.

"That struck me as wrong. It's not right at all. Fighters are professional athletes. As much as we sacrifice, we shouldn't have to live hoping that we get a bonus, hoping that we did enough to impress them."

- Benson

This argument doesn't hold any weight. If you choose to accept a contract for a certain amount, your lifestyle choices should be made based on that contract. If you choose to take on a mortgage that requires you to depend on a potential bonus to pay it, what you're doing is placing a bet on yourself. If it pans out then it was a smart gamble. If it doesn't, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

If you're not happy with the contract you signed, you shouldn't have signed it. It is absolutely ridiculous to complain about occasionally receiving extra pay that your employer has no obligation to give you, pay that is above and beyond the contracted amount you BOTH agreed to. 

28 days ago
2/24/07
Gennady Goblin - 
FrontBroRian -
T?bikan J?dan - 

And if he lost and had no bonus his purse would only be 10k. That's too much variance to say the pay is good. It would be more accurate to say the pay has the potential to be good. 

This...

“When you talk about backroom bonuses and discretionary bonuses, they're awesome, they're cool, but it's not a steady salary, it's not promised," Henderson told Bleacher Report. "Some guys never get a bonus. It's all at the whim of the higher-ups. And you shouldn't have a problem paying your mortgage because of the whim of the higher-ups, because they didn't feel your fight was worthy of a bonus.

"That struck me as wrong. It's not right at all. Fighters are professional athletes. As much as we sacrifice, we shouldn't have to live hoping that we get a bonus, hoping that we did enough to impress them."

- Benson

This argument doesn't hold any weight. If you choose to accept a contract for a certain amount, your lifestyle choices should be made based on that contract. If you choose to take on a mortgage that requires you to depend on a potential bonus to pay it, what you're doing is placing a bet on yourself. If it pans out then it was a smart gamble. If it doesn't, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

If you're not happy with the contract you signed, you shouldn't have signed it. It is absolutely ridiculous to complain about occasionally receiving extra pay that your employer has no obligation to give you, pay that is above and beyond the contracted amount you BOTH agreed to. 

Except Dana and fans always talk about how you earn so much in the ufc from “backroom locker room” bonuses, performance bonuses, etc...fighters are dumb and believe it and then realize there’s a small chance of it happening, while they work a second job to pay for their shitty apartment.

There’s clearly a reason top fighters like Bader, Rory, Davis, Mousasi, etc... are leaving the ufc.
28 days ago
11/10/18

I think the pay structure is fine. Good fighters get paid well and everyone else gets incentivized to become a good fighter. Every good fighter on the roster can easily make 200k and that puts them in the top 2% of income earners. You guys are just expecting them to be paid like the major sports athletes. First, mma is a fringe sport and secondly they will need to get their shit together and unionize if they want more. The reality is mma will always be fringe and the fighters will never unionize. 

28 days ago
2/28/14
FrontBroRian -
Gennady Goblin - 
FrontBroRian -
T?bikan J?dan - 

This...

- Benson

Except Dana and fans always talk about how you earn so much in the ufc from “backroom locker room” bonuses, performance bonuses, etc...fighters are dumb and believe it and then realize there’s a small chance of it happening, while they work a second job to pay for their shitty apartment.

There’s clearly a reason top fighters like Bader, Rory, Davis, Mousasi, etc... are leaving the ufc.

What's wrong with that? You SHOULD sell your labor to whoever is willing to pay you the most. Bader, Rory, Davis, Mousasi, etc. all were able to raise their stock by doing well in the UFC. If you want to be even close to competitive in the market, you need to acquire top fighters, so when top UFC fighters become available you're forced to open up your wallet to get them. That's what allowed those guys to negotiate for a great contract with Bellator.

I'm not seeing what you dislike about this scenario. 

28 days ago
3/13/18

Just broadcast this morning

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/9/16/20866655/court-filings-reveal-more-info-on-how-much-top-ufc-fighters-are-paid

28 days ago
12/16/11

The UG wizard sleeves who can't throw a spiral crying about pay again. 

All of your dad's failed to make you men. You get what you agree to, if you don't want the opportunity coach Kid Jitsu classes or go sell used cars. 

28 days ago
10/30/14
trobinson21 -

The UG wizard sleeves who can't throw a spiral crying about pay again. 

All of your dad's failed to make you men. You get what you agree to, if you don't want the opportunity coach Kid Jitsu classes or go sell used cars. 

Hey Dana,

can I get tickets to the next event, please?

27 days ago
6/3/14

10,000 to show and 10,000 to win. That’s fucking insane. 

27 days ago
6/17/16
JoeHurley -
Target_the_Gash -
JoeHurley -
Target_the_Gash -

Connelly's situation has nothing to do with the UFC paying well.

He got a portion of his opponent's purse because Pereira missed wieght AND he got his half of the FOTN bonus also because Pereira missed weight and was no longer eligible.

The UFC was not going out of their way to be generous in the least other than by calling that slppy ass fight FOTN. It was entertaining and I'm glad to see a new guy getting paid a decent paycheck for once because it is a rarity in MMA but this whole situation had nothing to do with generosity., it was merely an abnormal set of circumstances and the UFC followed their own rules.

Case in point: this guy can fight again next week and he isn't going to get paid $125k for it, he'll be back to 10/10 + $3500 for being a Reebok billboard and not having the opportunity to find his own sponsors.

Yes, he'll most likely be back to 10/10 + $3500 next fight, but that's more than he'll make anywhere else at this point. Is bellator, one or combate america going to sign him and pay him more at this point? No. On top of that he will have the opportunity to get a performance again, and more importantly, the chance to earn a better contract if he keeps performing well. 

I'm not sying it's bad per se I realize Bellator and other places get away with much worse and nobody says anything about it. I guess in some ways it's good that guys can get paid at all if that is really what people love to do but not too long ago dudes were fighting for 1000/1000 and 1500/1500 at bellator prelims and warming up oncardboard on some grass before the fights, not a great look for a company thatr can also afford to pay people $500k if their name is big enough. It's none of my business but I would like to see people that make it to the UFC at least get paid enough that they can afford their basic living expenses plus a little bit and be able to train full time at a real gym with all of the various things they need to be able and ready to fight year round. It would be nice if people got a basic salary for living expenses and then it was up to them to be ready to fight x-times per year, maybe if they miss too many in a row they get cut or whatever. I don't know how exactly you do it but the people that make it ot the highest level should get compensated enough that they can be full time professional fighters. That's what it means to make it to the 'big leagues' in other sports. I know, this isn't really a sport, but lots of dumb people think it is and the UFC pushes that narrative to try to sanitize their blood money.

If they have 500 people on the roster and they gave everyone A $50K per year base salary that would be $25M. That's a good sized chunk of change but honestly it is something the UFC can actually easily afford with the profits they have historically posted. Easy to say when it's not my money but they try to act like they are ready for prime time then maybe they should step up to the plate and pay like they are. $50k base salary is peanuts compared to most major sports on TV.

Why do you keep comparing ufc pay to other sports? Prize fighting and teamsports are nothing alike.

Base salary? Come on man. Salary is in sports that have a set number of scheduled games. Not individual athletes performing in random events that are booked one at a time. Do professional golfers, bowlers, boxers or tennis players get paid a salary? The ufc is not a "league" like football, baseball or hockey. Its prize fighting which has a set structure that has been in place for hundreds of years.

You sound silly with these word games. How about this one? If Bellator, One and other organizations claim to be competing with the ufc then they should pay the same rates to their fighters. So why dont they all raise their minimum pay, give out incentive bonuses and pay their champs the same as well? 

I don't really care enough about the issue to get in an argument with you.

From what I can tell you either didn't actually read what I wrote or somehow didn't comprehend it so whatever, I don't know what to tell you.

27 days ago
1/1/01
Target_the_Gash - 

He got a portion of his opponent's purse because Pereira missed wieght AND he got his half of the FOTN bonus also because Pereira missed weight and was no longer eligible.

The UFC was not going out of their way to be generous in the least other than by calling that slppy ass fight FOTN. It was entertaining and I'm glad to see a new guy getting paid a decent paycheck for once because it is a rarity in MMA but this whole situation had nothing to do with generosity., it was merely an abnormal set of circumstances and the UFC followed their own rules.

Case in point: this guy can fight again next week and he isn't going to get paid $125k for it, he'll be back to 10/10 + $3500 for being a Reebok billboard and not having the opportunity to find his own sponsors.

Kinda hard to talk about this without mentioning the portion taken from Perreira missing weight.
27 days ago
6/17/16
Wasa-B -
Target_the_Gash - 

Kinda hard to talk about this without mentioning the portion taken from Perreira missing weight.

I think it has been mentioned?

That is true though the UFC didn't come out of their pockets at all, in all actuality.

The bonuses are already part of the budget for every fight card and the other 20% came out of Pereira's pocket.

Hopefully they slipped him one of the fabled 'locker room bonuses' for putting on a show (sarcasm).

27 days ago
8/2/11
cantuna4u -

10 to show and 10 to win????   Oh yeah...

UFC is emptying their pockets now!

So what would he get in one/pfl/Bellator?

seriously the UG is filled full of negative dumb cunts like you

27 days ago
8/6/08
Awarnica -

Wow so if he had gone in there and lost like he was supposed to, he’d have gotten 10k +$2,400?

$12,400 is not proof that UFC pays well, I think the opposite actually. He was fortunate to get a bonus and doubly fortunate his opponent missed so he got it all. 

Yes it’s great for one weeks worth of work, but he can’t do that every week. 

It’s called market pay + exceptional pay for exceptional work ocasio Cortez. 

27 days ago
8/6/08
Target_the_Gash -
Wasa-B -
Target_the_Gash - 

I think it has been mentioned?

That is true though the UFC didn't come out of their pockets at all, in all actuality.

The bonuses are already part of the budget for every fight card and the other 20% came out of Pereira's pocket.

Hopefully they slipped him one of the fabled 'locker room bonuses' for putting on a show (sarcasm).

Lol. Who do you think pays for the budget fool. The tooth fairy?

27 days ago
2/24/07
Gennady Goblin - 
FrontBroRian -
Gennady Goblin - 
FrontBroRian -
T?bikan J?dan - 

This...

- Benson

What's wrong with that? You SHOULD sell your labor to whoever is willing to pay you the most. Bader, Rory, Davis, Mousasi, etc. all were able to raise their stock by doing well in the UFC. If you want to be even close to competitive in the market, you need to acquire top fighters, so when top UFC fighters become available you're forced to open up your wallet to get them. That's what allowed those guys to negotiate for a great contract with Bellator.

You don’t understand the concept of selling your organization through locker room bonuses and fight bonuses, despite the fact that fighters will likely never get one?

How about just paying a livable wage for fighters that are the reason for revenue in a $5B organization?
Edited: 25 days ago
8/2/11
FrontBroRian -
JoeHurley - 
FrontBroRian -
JoeHurley - 
FrontBroRian -
JoeHurley - 

Hint - revenue? 

How about I give you a hint. It’s called business. 

Do other sporting organisations give arbitrary pay rises based on revenue? No their stars earn it. 

Heres another hint- costs. You think the UFC has no other overheads that have grown in proportion to the organisation too?

You’re a dumb negative anti UFC cunt and it’s getting old  

25 days ago
11/8/08
FrontBroRian -
Gennady Goblin - 
FrontBroRian -
Gennady Goblin - 
FrontBroRian -
T?bikan J?dan - 

This...

- Benson

You don’t understand the concept of selling your organization through locker room bonuses and fight bonuses, despite the fact that fighters will likely never get one?

How about just paying a livable wage for fighters that are the reason for revenue in a $5B organization?

You act like the whole roster is getting 10k/10k. That's just for first time fighters. I domt understand this sense of thinking a fighter has hit the jackpot and should get a massive payday for just being signed without even having a fight int he organization. Especially when 10k/10k is a raise in pay from what they made where they fought previously. You keep ignoring the point that if you think the ufc isnt paying a living wage in your opinion then every other organization is worse, but for some reason they get a pass while you are only focused on the ufc. Yeah, I know its because theyre a $5B organization so they should pay newcomers 50k/50k while everyone else gets away with paying 1k flat which is scandalous. But muh sponsors and superbowl of mma. 

25 days ago
8/31/18
JoeHurley -
FrontBroRian -
Gennady Goblin - 
FrontBroRian -
Gennady Goblin - 
FrontBroRian -
T?bikan J?dan - 

This...

- Benson

You act like the whole roster is getting 10k/10k. That's just for first time fighters. I domt understand this sense of thinking a fighter has hit the jackpot and should get a massive payday for just being signed without even having a fight int he organization. Especially when 10k/10k is a raise in pay from what they made where they fought previously. You keep ignoring the point that if you think the ufc isnt paying a living wage in your opinion then every other organization is worse, but for some reason they get a pass while you are only focused on the ufc. Yeah, I know its because theyre a $5B organization so they should pay newcomers 50k/50k while everyone else gets away with paying 1k flat which is scandalous. But muh sponsors and superbowl of mma. 

Why speak up for an organization that could shut up every critic at the drop of a hat if they wanted to. All they'd have to do is explain what % of revenue they are paying fighters. Show some evidence of this. Show us what fighters bring in and what they make. Be transparent. 

Instead they chose to work in secrecy and blame people like fighter managers for getting a fighter a bad deal.

Think about that. They lowball fighters. Then blame their managers for getting lowballed. Then tell you at a fighter summit paid for by the company you don't need them.

Why would you ever put your name out there to defend that shadiness.

25 days ago
11/8/08
CobraKaiRep -
JoeHurley -
FrontBroRian -
Gennady Goblin - 
FrontBroRian -
Gennady Goblin - 
FrontBroRian -
T?bikan J?dan - 

This...

- Benson

Why speak up for an organization that could shut up every critic at the drop of a hat if they wanted to. All they'd have to do is explain what % of revenue they are paying fighters. Show some evidence of this. Show us what fighters bring in and what they make. Be transparent. 

Instead they chose to work in secrecy and blame people like fighter managers for getting a fighter a bad deal.

Think about that. They lowball fighters. Then blame their managers for getting lowballed. Then tell you at a fighter summit paid for by the company you don't need them.

Why would you ever put your name out there to defend that shadiness.

You're way off topic. Nobody even mentioned the things you are going on about so stop lying saying I'm defending those points.