UnderGround Forums Tyron Woodley finds peace post loss

5/31/20 10:21 AM
1/1/01

Tyron Woodley suffered back to back losses for the first time in his career at UFC on ESPN 9 on Saturday night. Gilbert Burns was the better man, and Woodley offered no excuses in a post-fight Instagram post.

? felt good,” said Woodley. “I have no excuses. I felt good. I train hard. I was in great shape. I felt like I did everything right. Everything felt good from the walkout to the stretch, to every single thing about the fight. I looked him in the eyes yesterday and knew he was going to be ready to fight. I thought that was good. He did a good job of keeping the distance, not coming at the shots. I felt like I was reaching. I don’t have no excuses, man. I’m going to hold my head high.”

Woodley acknowledged that he felt like giving up on multiple occasions, but said he was motivated to fight on my protests over the death of George Floyd. The death has fueled protests and riots in multiple cities and Floyd's passing was honored by the UFC during Saturday's broadcast.

“A lot of motherf***ers would let somebody finish them off in that moment,” said Woodley. “I wasn’t going to f***ing give up. I was just thinking about everybody right now who’s protesting and fighting for something good for Mr. Floyd’s family I’m like, ‘I just can’t give up in here.’ I never really gave up hope that I was going to win the fight, to be honest.”

“I just wanted to come and face you guys because I don’t understand,. It doesn’t make a lot of sense to me. It’s not very clear. I just know I’ve got to trust God. I’ve got a weird peace for somebody who just got their ass whooped. I don’t know why I am at peace – not with losing, not with defeating, not with losing to Gilbert.

“Gilbert came out and did his thing. At the end of the day, it wasn’t a situation like the Usman fight where I didn’t feel like I was there. I was there. I was present. I was responding. I heard what my coaches were saying. I just couldn’t get my hands on him. I can take that. I can take a loss when I feel like I was present in my mind and body.”

h/t Nolan King for MMA Junkie.

5/31/20 10:21 AM
1/1/01

5/31/20 10:57 AM
9/24/18
He's 38 and the drop off in his performances in his last 2 fights has been dramatic. It's not going to just magically come back.

The UFC will likely use him as a guy for up and comers to beat now, so if he's ok with that he should fight on. But if not, he needs to think about his future.
5/31/20 11:41 AM
6/23/10

If his attitude stayed like that, I'd be a bigger fan.  He baffles me how he hits as hard as a Heavyweight yet seems scared to engage.  He has a great camp, I dont know why relies on countering people instead of pressuring and engaging.   He's up there and years but i think he may have a couple more good fights in him.  But last night, he didn't look like he belonged in the top 5.

5/31/20 11:43 AM
1/1/01

He got where he is by fighting with that same approach. The trick is, he was quicker and better able to capitalize on openings years ago. Plus, it's clear people have scouted him. I hoped the whole Thailand thing might give him some new tools or a plan B, but it seems like he's willing to live and die by backing up against the fence and looking for the big right. He'll probably still starch some good fighters with it, too. His championship days are done without a new approach, though.

5/31/20 12:36 PM
5/9/06

That’s probably the best I’ve ever heard or read from Tyron. Respect. 

5/31/20 1:48 PM
7/16/13

His fight career is over. 

5/31/20 2:37 PM
11/1/03
Domingo -

He got where he is by fighting with that same approach. The trick is, he was quicker and better able to capitalize on openings years ago. Plus, it's clear people have scouted him. I hoped the whole Thailand thing might give him some new tools or a plan B, but it seems like he's willing to live and die by backing up against the fence and looking for the big right. He'll probably still starch some good fighters with it, too. His championship days are done without a new approach, though.

Good analysis. His seems to have been figured out. He limits himself by backing to the fence plus he seems afraid to engage. No leg kicks further limit his offensive skills. Hard to have effective footwork when backed into the cage. His only real assets are good sped and power.

5/31/20 4:20 PM
6/9/16
Jones right nostril - He's 38 and the drop off in his performances in his last 2 fights has been dramatic. It's not going to just magically come back.

The UFC will likely use him as a guy for up and comers to beat now, so if he's ok with that he should fight on. But if not, he needs to think about his future.

He should hang around for another 7 years and maybe McGregor will fight him then. 

;)

5/31/20 4:40 PM
5/5/12
Jones right nostril - He's 38 and the drop off in his performances in his last 2 fights has been dramatic. It's not going to just magically come back.

This is why ppl need to chill out with the Gilbert Burns hype. He beat 38 man who has clearly hit the fuckin’ tree. 

5/31/20 4:50 PM
5/15/15

I was more surprised Mike Bisping could actually do his job with Woodley's Pecker in his mouth Christ.

Edited: 5/31/20 4:50 PM
2/14/11

They’re the words of a man retired 

5/31/20 5:36 PM
11/14/16
Chael_McD -

I was more surprised Mike Bisping could actually do his job with Woodley's Pecker in his mouth Christ.

I was expecting him to start gagging at any second. His gag reflex must have been short circuited when he lost his eye. 

5/31/20 7:22 PM
2/15/14
LBH_RN -

If his attitude stayed like that, I'd be a bigger fan.  He baffles me how he hits as hard as a Heavyweight yet seems scared to engage.  He has a great camp, I dont know why relies on countering people instead of pressuring and engaging.   He's up there and years but i think he may have a couple more good fights in him.  But last night, he didn't look like he belonged in the top 5.

He's had a major shoulder surgery so he may be more hesitant to press forward and throw multi-punch combinations compared to his earlier days when he was slightly mroe aggressive

5/31/20 9:17 PM
8/13/13

Woodley is done, his performance was atrocious 

5/31/20 9:25 PM
12/7/10

He's only 38. He'll be back

5/31/20 10:05 PM
12/28/04

Who did he fight? 

6/1/20 12:46 AM
1/1/01

Jesus, just when he starts to say things that are respectable he brings up social bullshit.  I wonder what people would say if a white fighter afterwards spent time talking about all of the white people beaten at the MN target including the old lady in the wheelchair.  Something tells me they would be told to STFU.  We aren’t tuning in here for your political commentary Woolley.  Remember when he did that racist Ferguson stuff a few years ago?  Has he ever apologized?  I don’t think so.  

6/1/20 1:09 AM
12/25/05
T Woods cardio has been declining for years and now it has become to much for him to overcome.

He throws a combo and then he has to rest or he just throws one punch at a time in the hope that it lands.

Its almost like he has morphed into Yoel.
6/1/20 1:41 AM
1/1/01
Morgz - 

That’s probably the best I’ve ever heard or read from Tyron. Respect. 

Yes. I was about to write something about Tyron maturing, but that's not my place. If he can accept a genuine loss, and publicize it with humility, then he can be in the right mindset to return and blast dudes into outer-space like he used to. Age is just a number. Tyron is super talented, hard-working, and can still be a champ and/or fan favorite.

I never miss an Anthony Pettis card for the same reason. I will buy all of his cards.
6/1/20 6:17 AM
1/13/11

I fell asleep before the last 3 fights, did he look like shit?

6/1/20 6:39 AM
1/12/11

I think Woodley gassed in fights in the past and therefore tries to conserve energy (especially given he fights 5 rounds). 

I'd love to see him in a 3 round fight, but due to his name recognition, and the fact UFC stars are dropping like flies over their pay, I don't see that happening. 

Edited: 6/1/20 7:09 AM
7/12/12

His get-up in rd 1 was the move of the night IMO. 

If he would just start blastin' fools with doubles, he could easily get back in to contention.

Edited: 6/1/20 7:24 AM
2/14/11
Flexo -

I fell asleep before the last 3 fights, did he look like shit?

He looked bewildered and out of his depth. Posed zero threat other than the occasional wild right hand. 

Was like a Rapper trying to sing Country. 

6/1/20 11:26 AM
1/1/01

View this post on Instagram

Just like new. All Glory to God #ufc #espn

A post shared by Greg Hsu (@ufc_doctor) on