UnderGround Forums UFC 231 results & discussion

12/9/18 1:32 AM
8/6/06
Death Star -
supavgx -
CRE - I think that was the best MMA fight I've ever seen.

Didnt want to admit it but damn yeah i think it was also the best damn fight ive ever seen

You guys need to watch Shogun v Henderson at UFC 139

In my opinion, Shogun vs Hendo 1 is THE greatest fight in ufc history. Followed at #2 by Lawler vs McDonald 2.

12/9/18 1:37 AM
1/23/06
12/9/18 1:37 AM
1/23/06
Death Star - 
supavgx -

Didnt want to admit it but damn yeah i think it was also the best damn fight ive ever seen

Comes down to personal preference. I'm more invested in Ortega/Holloway than I was in Shogun/Hendo.
12/9/18 1:42 AM
6/17/16
ABCTT_HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe -
Target_the_Gash -

Ortega did an amazing job for being so new in his career. He went straight to the deep end of the pool and is swimming with the sharks. He showed the heart of a lion tonight, it was amazing to watch him start to put his technique together deep in the 3rd after taking a beating. He showed he is dangerous everywhere and is continually improving. He was taken to school tonight but I think he is probably an apt pupil and will make the most of his lesson. I feel sorry for whoever fights him next.

Holloway is simply one of the very best to ever do it and I suspect he isn't even close to being done yet. Amazing to watch him get better and better every year of his career, the guy is a real killer.

Pretty sure he's been fighting as long as Max, just turned pro a little later, and fought less often. I remember him fighting to a 5 round split decision against Keoni Koch. I remember him fighting in RFA before that too. Which is honestly probably why I wasn't completely sold on him, even after he ko'd Frankie. Because for a long time when I thought about Brian Ortega, I thought about the really skinny jiu jitsu guy, with really weak striking, who was in 5 round blood and guts wars, against the Keoni Kochs of mma.

I wonder if I ever saw that, sounds like something I could have watched and possibly forgotten.

Keoni Koch sounds familiar for some reason...

Edited: 12/9/18 1:50 AM
8/6/06
Target_the_Gash -
Target_the_Gash -

Ortega did an amazing job for being so new in his career. He went straight to the deep end of the pool and is swimming with the sharks. He showed the heart of a lion tonight, it was amazing to watch him start to put his technique together deep in the 3rd after taking a beating. He showed he is dangerous everywhere and is continually improving. He was taken to school tonight but I think he is probably an apt pupil and will make the most of his lesson. I feel sorry for whoever fights him next.

Holloway is simply one of the very best to ever do it and I suspect he isn't even close to being done yet. Amazing to watch him get better and better every year of his career, the guy is a real killer.

Pretty sure he's been fighting as long as Max, just turned pro a little later, and fought less often. I remember him fighting to a 5 round split decision against Keoni Koch. I remember him fighting in RFA before that too. Which is honestly probably why I wasn't completely sold on him, even after he ko'd Frankie. Because for a long time when I thought about Brian Ortega, I thought about the really skinny jiu jitsu guy, with really weak striking, who was in 5 round blood and guts wars, against the Keoni Kochs of mma.

I wonder if I ever saw that, sounds like something I could have watched and possibly forgotten.

Keoni Koch sounds familiar for some reason...

I think it was Ortega's 1 and only RFA title defense.

12/9/18 1:52 AM
8/6/06

Keoni Koch is Erik Koch's older brother.

12/9/18 1:59 AM
10/17/13
CRE - 
Death Star - 
supavgx -

Comes down to personal preference. I'm more invested in Ortega/Holloway than I was in Shogun/Hendo.

No it doesn’t. This fight tonight was great but, it wasn’t the knock down, drag out WAR Shogun vs. Hendo was.
12/9/18 2:01 AM
9/24/14

Ortega took way too many head shots. Good stoppage by the doctor.

12/9/18 2:02 AM
6/17/16

Right. I bet I did watch that.

The roids must have done Ortega some good over the years, he has really filled in well.

12/9/18 2:17 AM
8/6/06
Target_the_Gash -

Right. I bet I did watch that.

The roids must have done Ortega some good over the years, he has really filled in well.

For real, he was so skinny back then. 

12/9/18 2:21 AM
8/6/06

I was wrong, Ortega actually turned pro in April 2010, Max turned pro 5 months later in September 2010.

12/9/18 2:28 AM
8/6/06

Max just said in the post fight press conference that people claiming he's the GOAT featherweight, are wrong. His honesty is refreshing and I completely agree. It's crazy how fast people forget about you, once you're not champion anymore. He has 2 title defenses. It's like people claiming that Tyron is the goat welterweight... what? He's not even #2 welterweight. People claim nostalgia is favored in GOAT conversations, I personally couldn't disagree more, it's the exact opposite.

12/9/18 2:50 AM
7/31/09
RockTheVote -

Was Rener arguing with the doc about stopping it? 

Fuck I hope not

I was begging for Rener to stop it

Ortega was getting lit up and he needed to watch out for his man 

12/9/18 8:34 AM
3/8/15
PurplePunch -
DEADLEAGUE -

Max

Valentina

Gunny

Dowadu

Thiago

I can go further

5/5 u stud

Last night was a great night! Loved Max reminding everyone how bad ass he is. I couldn't how most people on here were taking about Max this week in such a negative way.

12/9/18 10:48 AM
4/21/12
Tug Dabone -

Just Bleed Report 

Fights that shouldn't go the distance:

• Olivier Aubin-Mercier vs. Gilbert Burns shouldn't go to the judges. 80% finish rate vs. 92% finish rate.
  • Jimi Manuwa vs. Thiago "Marreta" Santos: 94% finishes vs. 73%.
  • Gunnar Nelson vs. Alex Oliveira: 94% vs. 84%.

Almost all other fights on the card feature at least one fighter with a fairly low finish rate (usually between 50% and 70%, but sometimes much lower .... Theodorou 46%, Joanna Ex-Champ 34%, etc.).  High finish rates don't guarantee finishes of course, but this card could produce lots of decisions. The upside: Not as many minutes between bouts, if they're hoping to keep the card under 7 hours overall.... sorry, looking for the silver lining here....

In the last 10 PPV UFCs, only 2 had more decisions. Two others had the same number of decisions (7), but those cards had fewer fights than this one.

So, this was sort of an average PPV compared to recent cards. Maybe a bit heavy on the decisions, and the judging/reffing was sort of questionable at times (three split decisions, knees to the head of a downed fighter, strikes to the back of the head, fence grabs, etc.). 

The main event was spectacular violence, and Oliveira's facial blood faucet was impressive. Other than that, not a lot was really very memorable about the card, although there were a few really fun fights.

12/9/18 12:45 PM
6/29/09
Death Star -
supavgx -

In my opinion, Shogun vs Hendo 1 is THE greatest fight in ufc history. Followed at #2 by Lawler vs McDonald 2.

Bonner-griffin was awesome too

12/9/18 1:12 PM
7/22/15
Death Star -
supavgx -

You called it right last week, you had Max and you explained why good call.

12/9/18 1:20 PM
11/25/10
Death Star -
supavgx -

The only thing that takes it out of contention is it was pretty lopsided. In MMA, any fighter still standing is dangerous and I was worried the entire time TC might just sleep Max... But beyond that 1 shot win chance... Max donated striking and negated 100% of that "next level gjj" seemingly with EASE.

Shogun/Hendo for sure

12/9/18 1:25 PM
11/25/10
Tug Dabone -
Tug Dabone -

Just Bleed Report 

Fights that shouldn't go the distance:

• Olivier Aubin-Mercier vs. Gilbert Burns shouldn't go to the judges. 80% finish rate vs. 92% finish rate.
  • Jimi Manuwa vs. Thiago "Marreta" Santos: 94% finishes vs. 73%.
  • Gunnar Nelson vs. Alex Oliveira: 94% vs. 84%.

Almost all other fights on the card feature at least one fighter with a fairly low finish rate (usually between 50% and 70%, but sometimes much lower .... Theodorou 46%, Joanna Ex-Champ 34%, etc.).  High finish rates don't guarantee finishes of course, but this card could produce lots of decisions. The upside: Not as many minutes between bouts, if they're hoping to keep the card under 7 hours overall.... sorry, looking for the silver lining here....

In the last 10 PPV UFCs, only 2 had more decisions. Two others had the same number of decisions (7), but those cards had fewer fights than this one.

So, this was sort of an average PPV compared to recent cards. Maybe a bit heavy on the decisions, and the judging/reffing was sort of questionable at times (three split decisions, knees to the head of a downed fighter, strikes to the back of the head, fence grabs, etc.). 

The main event was spectacular violence, and Oliveira's facial blood faucet was impressive. Other than that, not a lot was really very memorable about the card, although there were a few really fun fights.

You know that the entertainment value of a card isn't based on fight outcomes right? Decisions are generally the fights that are "amazing" due to their back and forth/competitiveness.

This card had tons of ridiculously entertaining fights... I originally want going to buy it just for Max/TC... But watched FP fights and had to keep going. I wasnt disappointed at all.

12/9/18 5:50 PM
12/9/18
https://youtu.be/oCADWxKak6Y
My boyfriend Nick Diaz showing his penis to everyone on his Instagram story yesterday, thought you guys may enjoy

https://youtu.be/oCADWxKak6Y
12/9/18 6:44 PM
2/8/12

Thought last night was a dream!  Such an amazing fight!  I just rewatched it.  Amazing shifts of momentum and while I say Shogun/Hendo is the greatest fight ever... this one is easy to argue with the technique Holloway/Ortega displayed.  Beautiful fight!  Ortega will only get better from this.

12/9/18 7:21 PM
8/6/06
Unkind Zuffa -
Death Star -
supavgx -

Thanks. He did almost exactly what I thought too. Took a battering for 2 rounds, then came out in rd 3 and tried to rally, but like I said, Max is not the guy to make a late rally againsdt, because he's got insane cardio, and just gets stronger every round.

12/10/18 9:15 AM
7/22/15
Unkind Zuffa -
Death Star -
supavgx -

Thanks. He did almost exactly what I thought too. Took a battering for 2 rounds, then came out in rd 3 and tried to rally, but like I said, Max is not the guy to make a late rally againsdt, because he's got insane cardio, and just gets stronger every round.

Yeah, good call for sure, I'm going to go back and check out the Conor/Max fight, I never did see that fight but now I wanna see how Max did in that fight. Dude is a legit badass and so is Ortega. 

12/10/18 11:04 AM
6/23/12

Anyone else think max played a little rope a dope in the third? The way he finished strong, called his shot, and then came out blazing in the fourth had me wondering.