UnderGround Forums UFC 249 is cancelled. All events postponed

4/9/20 7:10 PM
8/31/10
mgm22 -

Good. Fuck Dana. The whole event needed medical personnel who were needed elsewhere. What a selfish prick. How can you justify a fighter needing stitches or care for head/ other trauma (to any part of the body e.g. knee), over someone who is dying. The guy didn't give a fuck and still doesn't. Completely immoral and he has called this massively wrong. Also ufc fighters only have medical coverage for in ring injuries. What happens of they get infected? What happens if they infect others? Nothing. Dana doesn't care. He can keep harping on about fighters health but this shows how much he doesn't give a shit about the fighters. It really shows how bad the sport is in terms of healthcare. 

You're being far too dramatic about this. Settle your tits. Do you really believe all medical personal everywhere are being used and required at the moment? There are a shit done of people available to take a weekender to some island, and be back at work on Monday, where they can continue to wait for shit to get real. Not everywhere is a New York at the moment, you realize this right?

Everyone involved was to be tested beforehand. Nobody would have been passing the virus along to the others, and nobody would have been bringing it back home with them. I can tell you're not up to speed on the actual circumstances around the event, yet you're acting like a total Karen about it.

4/9/20 7:12 PM
2/17/03
mgm22 - 

Good. Fuck Dana. The whole event needed medical personnel who were needed elsewhere. What a selfish prick. How can you justify a fighter needing stitches or care for head/ other trauma (to any part of the body e.g. knee), over someone who is dying. The guy didn't give a fuck and still doesn't. Completely immoral and he has called this massively wrong. Also ufc fighters only have medical coverage for in ring injuries. What happens of they get infected? What happens if they infect others? Nothing. Dana doesn't care. He can keep harping on about fighters health but this shows how much he doesn't give a shit about the fighters. It really shows how bad the sport is in terms of healthcare. 

Yup.

4/9/20 7:12 PM
2/17/03
sgotwalks - 

I'm blown away by the amount of negative responses and people rejoicing over this news on an mma forum. You guys are unbelievable. 

Some of us think that the insane decision to move ahead with the sport was bad for fighters and bad for the sport.

4/9/20 7:18 PM
1/28/20

What a shocker

4/9/20 7:20 PM
3/11/09
Dreville79 -
Lamonyk -
Dreville79 -

Brilliant news, glad Dana has been made to look like the utter clown he’s acted like during all this. Great to see an ESPN exec completely cuck him 

Why the hate??

Because nearly 1000 people a day are dying in my country from this thing, and this clown thinks anyone with any common sense gives a fuck about MMA right now 

I’ve always been a Dana fan, but to be honest, I hope these events cause him to bow out of the sport. He’s been a disgrace treating his fighters, and even long term company men like Rogan & Anik, like a total joke. You could tell by Aniks words, he didn’t want any part of it, his family were terrified, and he was simply too good of a company man to say no. It sucks they have that loyalty to a man who clearly doesn’t give a shit about them 

Anik and his family were terrified....hopefully the guy hasn't went to pick up groceries or get gas since this whole lockdown started because that is most likely just as dangerous as him attending this UFC event.

4/9/20 7:23 PM
9/26/10

There are a lot of medical personnel that are laid off right now. 

Another thing, UFC is very heavily incentivized by espn to put on 42 shows per year. If Disney/ESPN told them to chill, they must be giving them a way to still make a bunch of that $$ without hitting that number of shows. 

4/9/20 7:24 PM
9/26/10
Diabeetus -
Dreville79 -
Lamonyk -
Dreville79 -

Brilliant news, glad Dana has been made to look like the utter clown he’s acted like during all this. Great to see an ESPN exec completely cuck him 

Why the hate??

Because nearly 1000 people a day are dying in my country from this thing, and this clown thinks anyone with any common sense gives a fuck about MMA right now 

I’ve always been a Dana fan, but to be honest, I hope these events cause him to bow out of the sport. He’s been a disgrace treating his fighters, and even long term company men like Rogan & Anik, like a total joke. You could tell by Aniks words, he didn’t want any part of it, his family were terrified, and he was simply too good of a company man to say no. It sucks they have that loyalty to a man who clearly doesn’t give a shit about them 

Anik and his family were terrified....hopefully the guy hasn't went to pick up groceries or get gas since this whole lockdown started because that is most likely just as dangerous as him attending this UFC event.

grocery store is far more dangerous. People have zero ability to use logic in situations like this. Nothing but virtue signaling and need for control. 

4/9/20 7:25 PM
4/22/12

Everybody keeps saying “it’s ok, they’ll all be tested”. With what tests? 

Edited: 4/9/20 7:26 PM
7/8/13
sgotwalks -
mgm22 -

You're being far too dramatic about this. Settle your tits. Do you really believe all medical personal everywhere are being used and required at the moment? There are a shit done of people available to take a weekender to some island, and be back at work on Monday, where they can continue to wait for shit to get real. Not everywhere is a New York at the moment, you realize this right?

Everyone involved was to be tested beforehand. Nobody would have been passing the virus along to the others, and nobody would have been bringing it back home with them. I can tell you're not up to speed on the actual circumstances around the event, yet you're acting like a total Karen about it.

It was never going to be on an island, that's just absurd. I honestly can't believe anyone really thought that was a possibility. 

This was going to take place in California, one of the hardest hit states in the country. The closest major city to Lenmoore is Fresno, and Fresno county as of now has had 156 confirmed cases, and that number will probably at least double by the time ufc 249 was supposed to happen. If a fighter has to go to that hospital after the fight, you're taking away valuable time and resources from the doctors, nurses, and patients who actually need it and giving it to a cage fighter who got hurt while working a non essential job during a statewide stay at home order. The chances of contracting the virus in that hospital are very high. How do you not see that this has nothing at all to do with testing everyone prior to the event???

4/9/20 7:25 PM
7/12/12

I did find it odd when Gaethje vs Tony got signed it wasnt "breaking news" or a top headline on ESPN.com.

Also Star Wars is gay and Disney World is VERY overrated, fuck 'em.

4/9/20 7:26 PM
3/11/09
ufc98newb -

There are a lot of medical personnel that are laid off right now. 

Another thing, UFC is very heavily incentivized by espn to put on 42 shows per year. If Disney/ESPN told them to chill, they must be giving them a way to still make a bunch of that $$ without hitting that number of shows. 

This is another thing many people don't seem to grasp. Most hospitals aren't flooded with patients. Most hospitals are much slower than normal right now. People are being laid off and sent home early all the time.

4/9/20 7:27 PM
3/23/06

"he's got that look in his eyes Joe"
4/9/20 7:28 PM
3/23/06
Frank Mir Cat -

I did find it odd when Gaethje vs Tony got signed it wasnt "breaking news" or a top headline on ESPN.com.

It was all wolf tickets.  Th event was never happening 

4/9/20 7:30 PM
10/22/14

Fucking piece of shit journalists and sjws just couldn't let us have anything nice. 

So frustrated.

4/9/20 7:32 PM
8/31/10
knockoutfighter -
Frank Mir Cat -

With the purpose being what? To fuck with the heads of all their fighters and staff? Seriously, what purpose would pretending the event was going to happen even serve? In what way did they benefit from this?

4/9/20 7:35 PM
12/26/19

Let's all live in fear for the rest of our lives then, fuck it.

7/12/12
sgotwalks -
knockoutfighter -
Frank Mir Cat -

With the purpose being what? To fuck with the heads of all their fighters and staff? Seriously, what purpose would pretending the event was going to happen even serve? In what way did they benefit from this?

Too make ESPN/ Disney execs look bad obviously...

11/27/02
Wiggum, serious question if you don't mind answering. Have you left your house in the last 3 weeks? If yes, then where have you been going? What have you been doing? How have you stayed alive?

4/9/20 7:36 PM
2/28/13

man in the hat spot on with the idiots on this forum
4/9/20 7:40 PM
2/22/13

This PPV debacle was a matter of taste rather than safety. I think it could have passed without incident, but that doesn’t mean it should have.

People at home who are bored are probably disappointed that the card has been cancelled, but this whole situation was a farce from the start. Call it what it was: in the midst of a global pandemic Dana saw dollar signs and rolled the dice. That in itself sounds nuts.

People hailing Dana as some MMA fanboy who’s only goal was to make people happy are deluding themselves. He young; he’s rich; he’s healthy; he’s miles from the issue - so sure - to him it’s no big deal, but his fighters and staff have families and their own dependants and concerns.

I said in a previous thread, if he legitimately gave a fuck about entertaining the masses during a global shutdown, he’s in the NO.1 position to do something about it. Him and his team could literally brainstorm hundreds of ways to make the next few weeks a little more tolerable for the masses...

- Give Fight Pass free for a month

- Put entire fight cards free on Youtube

- Run competitions for exclusive merch

- Hold old-school fan Q&A sessions via social media

- Make cash donations to the cause

- Use the down-time to plan a killer celebratory comeback card akin to the ‘00 cards.

etc, etc

This guy could easily contribute to making people’s lives a little bit more positive if that was his driving motivation.

Sure, I get it, he’s a businessman and cash is king, but at least be honest about it. This is a guy who has always claimed to be no-nonsense. All this talk about not hiding from the virus is a smokescreen.

I’m glad it got stopped by people more powerful than him. Morally, it was the right thing to do.

4/9/20 7:45 PM
2/17/03
supersonic - Wiggum, serious question if you don't mind answering. Have you left your house in the last 3 weeks? If yes, then where have you been going? What have you been doing? How have you stayed alive?

Assuming this is in good faith:

My wife and I are at our apartment. We live in a not-too-dense area, so we are able to go on walks without getting near people and we can workout at the park.

I go grocery shopping once a week. That allows us to have meals that are nutritious without risking too much exposure. I go to two stores that are not crowded and while I sometimes get closer to people than I'd like, I am generally able to maintain 6 feet.

It's not that I have avoided all risk. It's that I have avoided unnecessary risk. The less people who I come close to, the less risk I have of catching/spreading. I have stopped all coaching and advised all my wrestlers and fighters to train on their own only.

4/9/20 7:46 PM
1/10/13

Fuck Disney and ESPN. I'm glad that I can say I have never paid for ESPN+, any ESPN PPV, or ESPN channels. If ABC wasn't lumped into regular packages I wouldn't have it either. 

4/9/20 7:46 PM
8/19/06

Anything for air time to try and give the image of being like the big boy sports like NHL, NFL.

Their people will not starve only getting half of their salaries.

4/9/20 7:52 PM
5/11/13

Come on Dana think!!!!!

4/9/20 7:52 PM
2/29/16

If we were still in the Zuffa era, we'd be watching fights next weekend. Christ.