UnderGround Forums UFC 5 Gracie vs Shamrock superfight

5/8/17 2:39 PM
3/18/02
Aussie Shaun - 

Ken landed one of the best right hands ever thrown in the octagon that swelled Royces eye shut.

Royce was the one one stalling and holding on for grim death.

lol what?  

The stand up was illegal.  Not in the rules.  Shouldnt have happened.  

Royce gave away a ton of weight.  He followed the BJJ playbook to a T.  Ken did nothing the entire fight but lay there (he had no chance of passing guard) and absorb heel strikes.  Ken did absolutely nothing. 

If it wasnt for the illegal stand up, Royces face would have been just fine. 

5/8/17 2:40 PM
3/18/02
yabadaba - 
ons ear - what are peoples thoughts on this fight?

anyone that was lucky or unlucky enough to watch it live on ppv, what were your thoughts going into the fight?was Royce still invincible to you guys at that time?

to this day i dont know what Kens gameplan was going into the fight..he took Royce down and laid on him, even his dad was begging him to "do something Ken!" yet he just seemed content with surviving and getting a draw..

was this fight originally supposed to be no time limit?

after the fight did everyone think Ken won since he landed the punch?

It seems somewhat ridiculous now but I was on the edge of my seat for the entire fight.

Royce was viewed as pretty close to invincible but the rematch with Ken was widely seen as his biggest challenge.

Ken trained to neutralize Royce's guard and his game plan was not to make a mistake. Up to that point nobody had managed to survive against Royce and for Ken a draw was a win.

After the fight who won was debated for years...

Kens plan was to sit in Royces guard the whole fight and absorb kidney strikes? 

Go lay in someones guard and let them do that to you just 5 times and see how it feels...

5/8/17 2:56 PM
11/28/03

u need to watch again if u think it was that one sided for royce

these guys arent that accurate, but heres strike stats of some sort:

http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/db8df615610f3632

ken said after "a draw is a loss, to me" as in he didnt think he accompished anything. neither did really, if u ask me.

5/8/17 3:52 PM
4/14/07
Ken fought that fight to not get submitted and that's all.
Edited: 5/8/17 4:03 PM
5/27/09

Human chess.

5/8/17 4:05 PM
8/10/05
Aussie Shaun - 

Ken landed one of the best right hands ever thrown in the octagon that swelled Royces eye shut.

Royce was the one one stalling and holding on for grim death.

"Ken landed one of the best right hands ever"

Said no one ever before. Congrats!
5/8/17 4:08 PM
3/6/07
Ken basically came in with the mindset of NOT getting tapped out.

Thats it and it showed.

Ken did not come to win or fight.... he just wanted to survive and take a tie.
5/8/17 4:12 PM
1/1/01
ranier wolfcastle - 

u need to watch again if u think it was that one sided for royce

these guys arent that accurate, but heres strike stats of some sort:

http://www.fightmetric.com/fight-details/db8df615610f3632

ken said after "a draw is a loss, to me" as in he didnt think he accompished anything. neither did really, if u ask me.

And if you think striking stats are relevant for that fight, you need to watch it again.
5/8/17 7:20 PM
1/1/01
jkd4200 - Ken basically came in with the mindset of NOT getting tapped out.

Thats it and it showed.

Ken did not come to win or fight.... he just wanted to survive and take a tie.

Agreed. I think Royce thought Ken would gas. Lame fight. Just like Royce vs Takada.

5/8/17 7:33 PM
10/26/03
I watched it live. Juiced to the gills Shamrock thought he had it in the bag. He got caught by someone with a more well rounded bjj game.
5/8/17 8:03 PM
11/28/03

heres the overtime

5/8/17 8:12 PM
1/15/07

Was Ken's dad really yelling at him to do something? If so, what was the real strategy they had come up with before the fight and why didn't he follow it?

5/8/17 8:15 PM
11/28/03

if i was a real conspiracy theorist, i would run with this "tapout" right after the "big punch"

people ran with the sperry "tap" and it was less to work with 

:)

5/8/17 11:58 PM
1/1/01
In their previous fight, Royce submitted Ken pretty quickly with a choke after Ken went for a leglock from within Royce's guard.

The leglock master was too afraid to try that again. Or anything else.

5/9/17 12:08 AM
1/7/06
tenchu - The fight had a 30 minute time limit. The previous event, UFC 4, went passed the PPV time slot. Some regions cut the event short and did not broadcast the ending of the final match - Royce VS Severn. So at UFC 5, they started time limits.

When the match between Royce and Ken ended with no winner (30 minutes), they added the 5 minute overtime, which hadn't been planned. At the beginning of the over time restart on the feet, Ken landed that punch to Royce's face, swelling it up big time.

Me personally... I think it was more of a victory for Royce. You had a bigger and stronger Ken, who simply laid in Royce's guard, too afraid to do anything. He was afraid to stick his head up and barely even punched. He just kept his head and arms tucked in, away from any potential choke or lock.
Wow.

Great post.
5/9/17 2:02 AM
1/1/11
Fucking Ken Shamrock. He couldn't win the tourny, or even get to the finals, so he had the UFC set him up a one on one vs Gracie and call it a 'Superfight'. And he still looked like shit. Ken is a bum with a big ego.
5/9/17 3:19 AM
4/20/08
Fabes -
Non N00B -

Dont forget, Royce fought Ken 3 times now and has submitted him twice and tko'd him

Fake news 

Nah, he basically submitted him, then got in his face and made him admit he tapped in the first fight, third fight Shammy pulled another weirdo fight ending as usual and got himself taken out. 

26 days ago
11/28/03

the tapping motion

no i dont think it was a tap "out"

but watch royces right hand

this is after kens best punch

26 days ago
5/10/04
Non N00B - 

People might think that mouse on Royce's eye was something, but I would rather have that than piss blood for days like Shammy was doing after the fight. 

This is fake news.
26 days ago
5/10/04

The "regulation" was boring.

But Ken got high in Royces guard and did damage in the OT.
Rouce couldn't do anything at that point. He was exhausted and had taken damage.
Ken looked like he was ready to go run some laps.