UnderGround Forums UFC salary’s: Refs, Rogan, Buffer, Ring Girls, etc

5/22/20 12:17 PM
2/25/15
I hope its not true ref are paid so little. Their jobs are super important and it must be stressfull to do.
5/22/20 2:30 PM
7/24/15
Erik Apple -

Many of those are laughable

U can take a zero off of the pay for joe to start

Yeah that seems crazy. Why anyone would turn down commentating the international ppvs for that big of a paycheck per event just doesn’t make sense to me. Especially if it’s something he loves doing.

5/22/20 2:55 PM
7/10/02
Fold me like one of your lawn chairs - 
Erik Apple -

Yeah that seems crazy. Why anyone would turn down commentating the international ppvs for that big of a paycheck per event just doesn’t make sense to me. Especially if it’s something he loves doing.

I'd sure travel to earn 500k for a night! But yeah, suspect numbers, to say the least.

5/22/20 3:03 PM
11/10/18
floofy - I hope its not true ref are paid so little. Their jobs are super important and it must be stressfull to do.

Wouldn’t the refs be paid through athletic commissions? Completely out of the hands of the ufc?

5/22/20 10:21 PM
6/23/12
Eskimo -
floofy - I hope its not true ref are paid so little. Their jobs are super important and it must be stressfull to do.

Wouldn’t the refs be paid through athletic commissions? Completely out of the hands of the ufc?

Pay is set by athletic commissions and refs are assigned by them. 

Edited: 5/22/20 10:35 PM
4/21/12
Eskimo -

I don't know about other states, but in Nevada the AC sets the amounts of the fees the referees will receive and the promoter has to pay the fees to the AC. Then the AC pays the referees.

Edit: Oops, I didn't see the other responses above before posting this.

5/22/20 10:41 PM
12/9/13

started a thread about Rogan a year ago and estimated 300K a weekend, but google up it by 200K,lol

5/22/20 10:48 PM
12/9/13
Fold me like one of your lawn chairs -
Erik Apple -

cause he also loves podcasting and is making bank on it, he just made an exclusive 200 million deal for 3 years with spotify.

5/22/20 10:50 PM
7/2/07

I worked in the biz, those numbers are nuts and are all over the place.

5/22/20 10:50 PM
12/10/09

You could have probably done better using yahoo answers.

That is NOT an endorsement of yahoo answers. 

5/22/20 11:44 PM
8/8/18

No way the if would pay any commentator 500k a show, it doesn't make sense for any commentator to make that much per show.

5/22/20 11:53 PM
9/14/03
Joshinho - 

No way the if would pay any commentator 500k a show, it doesn't make sense for any commentator to make that much per show.

It seems like a lot per show, but yet, I could see Dana paying Joe a few mil a year.
5/22/20 11:57 PM
3/23/06
RockTheVote -
Eskimo -

Pay is set by athletic commissions and refs are assigned by them. 

I thought it was interesting to read...  Boxing promoters hire their own referees, but UFC refs are hired through the state athletic commissions 

5/23/20 12:03 AM
3/23/06
Fury2Feed -
Joshinho - 

It seems like a lot per show, but yet, I could see Dana paying Joe a few mil a year.

Joe did help out doing backstage interviews during the SEG era, not sure if he got paid, but I have heard Joe say he did the first 15 commentary gigs for free, starting with UFC 37.5 then from UFC 40 onwards .  Maybe Dana gave Joe a big contract for being loyal like he did for Matt Hughes, Chuck Liddell, Forrest Griffin, etc.

5/23/20 12:06 AM
3/23/06

I hope so too.  Our refs are valuable.  Referees should be paid more than accouncers or commentators imo, and more than judges imo

5/23/20 12:11 AM
3/23/06
Kirik -

I would take those numbers, most of them with a grain of salt. The boobies are great though.

Lmao.  Have you ever heard legit numbers what Joe makes per show?  Or any other announcers?  Can you confirm referee pay (at least for regional shows)?  I always had a feeling guys like Herb Dean don’t make much because I see him working the amateur tent events on non-UFC weekends.. 

5/23/20 1:20 AM
7/18/05
Tug Dabone -
Eskimo -

I don't know about other states, but in Nevada the AC sets the amounts of the fees the referees will receive and the promoter has to pay the fees to the AC. Then the AC pays the referees.

Edit: Oops, I didn't see the other responses above before posting this.

I've always heard the AC pays the refs, not the UFC and it's really low - some years ago a ref told me it was like $200 a match or something.

5/23/20 1:44 AM
4/20/08
knockoutfighter -

I hope so too.  Our refs are valuable.  Referees should be paid more than accouncers or commentators imo, and more than judges imo

Refs fuck up fights to influence bets. 

5/23/20 2:55 AM
9/14/03
knockoutfighter - 
Fury2Feed -
Joshinho - 

Joe did help out doing backstage interviews during the SEG era, not sure if he got paid, but I have heard Joe say he did the first 15 commentary gigs for free, starting with UFC 37.5 then from UFC 40 onwards .  Maybe Dana gave Joe a big contract for being loyal like he did for Matt Hughes, Chuck Liddell, Forrest Griffin, etc.

Yeah, I doubt he got much at all for SEG and he had solid money from Fear Factor coming in when Zuffa came in and hired him, so yeah, he waved his salary out of love. Probably just to help out, as it was financially touch and go the 1st 15 shows from Zuffa. But yeah, I think it came back to him.
5/23/20 3:44 AM
1/24/16

Rogan easily makes 500k for a big event. He is more important than most of the stars. A guy like Usman as champ makes 500k that night. Who do you think brings in more money Usman or Rogan?

5/23/20 7:28 AM
1/1/01

Ref make $100-500 for local shows depending on commissions regs (size of show, televised, title bout, etc). Most states pay about $250 for the night where you will do 1/2 the card.

For big shows, even if the state has a lower pay structure, the promotion pays a higher rate for the officials (generally $1k-1200 for referee and $750-1k for judge). Some states like NY have it in their regs that pay is tied to purse so a ref can make up to $2300 for a card with a huge main event.

At big shows there are usually 4-5 referees and 6-7 judges for approximately 12-15 bouts.

Promotions dont hire the officials, but they often send out email to large group to see whos available, then furnish that to state so the commission can pick some from that list, as well as hire their top local officials. State commission assigns and most officials dont find out what bouts they have till event day. 

5/23/20 11:05 AM
5/30/19

No boxing referee is making 25K for reffing a fight. None.

5/23/20 11:25 AM
9/24/09

I know the Reem is well paid but if he is the 2nd highest paid fighter after Conor that would be insane. He doesn’t draw nearly enough to be anywhere on that list. 

Edited: 5/23/20 11:27 AM
9/24/09
Miro Semberac -

No boxing referee is making 25K for reffing a fight. None.

Unless they are including bribes in that figure. 

5/23/20 11:26 AM
8/5/13
Kirik -

I would take those numbers, most of them with a grain of salt. The boobies are great though.

I would take those boobies with a grain of salt and lime.