8 days ago
12/24/10

That guy is a clown without a circus

8 days ago
12/22/10

Was he one of The Monkees?

8 days ago
11/9/17

Ao why didn't he then? Oh I know the classic "The Grace's wouldn't invite me, they were scared". smh! 

8 days ago
7/20/04

Hes a legend but he would have exposed his back in 93. After the game of VT was better known, I tend to agree

8 days ago
10/14/02
Choked72 - 

Hes a legend but he would have exposed his back in 93. After the game of VT was better known, I tend to agree

thats a good way to see it
8 days ago
2/28/06
Royce could not beat 145 lb Tokoro.
8 days ago
1/1/01
nowaydo - Royce could not beat 145 lb Tokoro.

Royce had 40 pounds on him and Tokoro beat the dogshit out of Royce.

8 days ago
10/15/06
How was Volk compared to Andrei Kopylov?That man looked like someone's grand dad and was doing crazy shit against top level guys of the day and while dominated positionally against legends like Sperry and Arona, neither submitted him. So it was a strong possibility.
8 days ago
2/28/06
Beezulbubba - How was Volk compared to Andrei Kopylov?That man looked like someone's grand dad and was doing crazy shit against top level guys of the day and while dominated positionally against legends like Sperry and Arona, neither submitted him. So it was a strong possibility.

Yes, he was dominated positionally by Carlson Gracie JJ. Royce's would be interesting. He would not be dominated positionally and he would not be subbed from the guard.
7 days ago
6/22/07
Beezulbubba - How was Volk compared to Andrei Kopylov?That man looked like someone's grand dad and was doing crazy shit against top level guys of the day and while dominated positionally against legends like Sperry and Arona, neither submitted him. So it was a strong possibility.

Han beat Kopylov in '01 in what was probably a shoot - the works in RINGS didn't have rounds. A couple months prior, Han fought Big Nog and didn't look BAD en route to losing by decision. Han was old by the time RINGS switched to all shoots, but in his prime he might have done as well as Igor Z. against Sperry, and he was a lot stronger than Royce. Also, he was a USSR Jr Champion at free wrestling before switching to Sambo; he won the gold at the 1985 USSR Championships.
7 days ago
6/22/07
Choked72 - 

Most of the Sambo I've seen was from guys who would've learned from VT. Were they clueless about RNCs etc back in the early 90s? I would've guessed a triangle from guard was Royce's best chance.
Edited: 7 days ago
1/23/06

Nah. Royce had that it factor all the greats do. He was like Anderson Silva during his run. Just on fire. Chokes this dude with a gi choke. Royce made his close fights grueling wars of attrition. He had dog like no other back then. I think not being considered the Gracie family champion gave him an edge. which led to him becoming the world champion of all combat back then.

7 days ago
11/9/17
nowaydo - Royce could not beat 145 lb Tokoro.

That was embarrassing then and now. 

7 days ago
1/1/01
PelosiesPanties - 
nowaydo - Royce could not beat 145 lb Tokoro.

That was embarrassing then and now. 

By contrast, this is Eddie Bravo effortlessly tapping Tokoro several times back to back.  It's not MMA, but Royce had a lot of mat time to submit Tokoro and couldn't do anything but hang on for dear life.

7 days ago
1/1/01

Who?

7 days ago
10/14/02
prof - 

Who?

> rookie
7 days ago
7/20/04
Roy Batty -
Choked72 - 

Most of the Sambo I've seen was from guys who would've learned from VT. Were they clueless about RNCs etc back in the early 90s? I would've guessed a triangle from guard was Royce's best chance.

All the sambo guys in the early days would give their back. I think it's easy to underestimate how vulnerable you are to elbows to the base of the skill, etc when you come from a sport background vs vale turo. It happened with all disciplines that should know how to defend the choke: judo, sambo etc.

People learned eventually, but soon enough, blows to back of the head were made illegal. Problem solved!  Right?

7 days ago
10/9/15

Cross heel hold FTW!

7 days ago
7/8/02

Royce is always underrated in these threads. It would have been interesting for sure.