UnderGround Forums Volkanovski: Contenders need to fight for #1 spot

3 days ago
1/1/01

UFC featherweight champ Alexander Volkanovski will likely be out for the first half of this year as he recovers from surgery for a broken hand suffered during his win over Max Holloway at UFC 245 on 12/14/12019. He doesn't see a clear #1 contender, and suggests the top fighters at 145 sort it out.

These are the current top 10 contenders:
1. Max Holloway
2. Brian Ortega
3. Zabit Magomedsharipov
4. Chan Sung Jung
5. Yair Rodriguez
6. Frankie Edgar
7. Renato Moicano
8. Jeremy Stephens
9. Jose Aldo
10. Josh Emmett

“There are all these guys that want titles, but it depends on potential matchups, but no one is the clear No. 1 contender," said Volkanovski to Farah Hannoun for MMA Junkie. "While I’ve got a broken hand, why doesn’t someone go and take that No. 1 contender spot?”

“There are fights you need to fight to put yourself in a position where no one can take it away from them, just like I had done when I was in Canada [when it took him 38 hours to get to Canada to serve as a backup for the Holloway vs. Edgar UFC 240 main event]. The weight cut was terrible to back up for the title fight. Going to Brazil to fight the No. 1 contender Aldo and going to a different country just knowing that that’s how you get the No. 1 contender spot, I went and done it. I just think that this is an opportunity for guys that, if they really want that title fight, again I’m looking to fight mid-year, hopefully something like that. People have to go and take that No. 1 spot. Go and take it.”

“I’m happy to fight any of them, but I just want the No. 1 contender. I want someone who’s the clear No. 1. If there’s that much debate on who should be next, don’t let there be debate. Go take it. It seems like they’re all one fight away from a title fight. I just don’t think they should be sitting on the sidelines waiting.”

Volkanovski also said the win over Holloway was so convincing an immediate rematch isn't warranted, but that he'd be motivated for the fight if it came to pass.

3 days ago
1/13/11

I want to see TKZ vs anybody! Get him that title shot. 

3 days ago
9/23/07

Pretty stacked division